BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 190/50-17 clear everything on the rear of the 2000 krs ? and has anyone used a tomahawk retread tire ? thanks joesflashdog :dunno:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tomahawk tires

I've never heard of them before, but after checking out the website, I think I might try a set next time I have to change the GT (The black ones).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re:Bigger Rear Tire

Yes a 190 fit's fine, I put one my "02" back in Aug. of "01" when I 1st got mine, I did put on a 6" AC Schnitzer rim first but other then that it has never given me an ounce of trouble and I like how it looks on the bike.:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re:Bigger Rear Tire

If anything it was more "solid" through the corners, but these bikes aren't exactly what you would call "flickable", but I've not been able to tell if the bike handles slower or not and quite frankly I don't care, it feels rock stable all the time and looks good. Oh I guess I should add that I also added some Wilbur shocks front and back. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
The tire won't work unless you buy a 6" rim. Mounting a 190 on a 5.5" rim will just deform the tire. It won't look any wider, and it won't handle or wear as well. Good luck on finding a 6" rim. I've been looking for a long time and haven't been able to locate one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
007007 said:
Yes a 190 fit's fine, I put one my "02" back in Aug. of "01" when I 1st got mine, I did put on a 6" AC Schnitzer rim first but other then that it has never given me an ounce of trouble and I like how it looks on the bike.:)

Did you buy the rim direct from Schnitzer? Where?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
gmurtic said:
Hello from Croatia!!!
Does 180 rear tire fit on a 5,5" rim?

Thanks, Goran
Sure does, Goran!
That was the stock tire/wheel combination on the late '03 and '04 RS/GT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry, my question should be 5" rim...
My apologies, I knew it can on 5.5", guess while thinking on mine, I wrote the wrong one...
Goran

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Goran

You will probably get different views on this. But I would not put a 180mm tire on a 5.0" rim.
The 180mm tire is designed for a 5.5" rim and installing it on a narrower 5.0" rim would change the profile of the tire. In my mind this would make the bike handle "differently", for the lack of a better word.

·
Registered
87 Posts
brucecha said:
Goran

You will probably get different views on this. But I would not put a 180mm tire on a 5.0" rim.
The 180mm tire is designed for a 5.5" rim and installing it on a narrower 5.0" rim would change the profile of the tire. In my mind this would make the bike handle "differently", for the lack of a better word.
+1

You won't do your bike any favors by mismatching the rim and tire size.

5" rim = 170 mm tire
5.5" rim = 180 mm tire
6" rim = 190 mm tire

If you mix and mismatch those sizes, the tire will not perform properly. The sidewall flex and footprint are designed for the appropriate rim sizes and tire pressures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts