BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
A tune up by the dealer will not fix the idle issues with your bike.

Sure, having a bike sit for two years can wreak havoc with the fuel system. We don't know how the bike was prepared for its sabbatical. If no fuel treatment was used the fuel deteriorates, especially in 2 years. Was the bike engine run periodically or not. Did you drain and replace all the fuel?

As you mentioned: airbox and booster plug fixes are common, as are software updates.

The idle issue for your K12GT is well known. Hunting idle and stalling and all that. Surging too. Search online and on this forum for more. You need a dealer/mechanic that understands that and doesn't just give you the corporate BMW line that "they all do that". Some of the issues are related to a bad airbox design, where heat binds up the works causing high idle. The stalling can be related to software. A GOOD dealer will know all this and guide you to get it repaired. If these issues were not addressed by the Previous Owner(s) you get to do it. An new design airbox coast $300-400 and takes some work to install. When I did mine it helped a lot, but not completely.

However, these early K12GT's, before the K1300 improved it, are not so great at fueling and idling and smooth transitions of throttle at best. The bike can be smooth and powerful and then totally disappoint by stalling as you pull off the highway or at a stoplight. It all got better with the K13 in 09-10

Welcome to the zoo.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Glad to hear you will recover. Foot injuries can take a while to heal (no pun intended).

I think a K13 is a good choice. The K16, while a rocket, is also a very heavy rocket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts