BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I sold my 87 K75S to wants to sell it back. Price is right, $2200. He really wants me to have it I can tell, I was the original owner. The price represents about a $1000 loss for him, plus he did a bunch of work to it (electric fan for example, and braided stainless brake hoses).
But what would I do with a K75 and a 07 GT?? Too similar. The K75 is a nice commuter and I really do love that particular bike. The GT better for cold and rainy weather, better protection. I suppose I could just store the K75, it would be dumb to store the GT in my opinion.
Just commiserating. I don't want to keep the guy hanging long. The present owner even said if I decide to flip it I could make a few bucks at that price. I sold it with 93K and now has 98K miles.

·
Registered
179 Posts
GillyWI said:
The guy I sold my 87 K75S to wants to sell it back. Price is right, $2200. He really wants me to have it I can tell, I was the original owner. The price represents about a $1000 loss for him, plus he did a bunch of work to it (electric fan for example, and braided stainless brake hoses).
But what would I do with a K75 and a 07 GT?? Too similar. The K75 is a nice commuter and I really do love that particular bike. The GT better for cold and rainy weather, better protection. I suppose I could just store the K75, it would be dumb to store the GT in my opinion.
Just commiserating. I don't want to keep the guy hanging long. The present owner even said if I decide to flip it I could make a few bucks at that price. I sold it with 93K and now has 98K miles.
Depending on how many bikes you have in your stable all ready I would get it as a spare for when the GT needs to be in the shop for 6 months or more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I say go for it, one can never have too many bikes, and each is in it's own place, or has a place to ride.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the opposite problem...

Your predicament made me chuckle at myself.
I have a 1992 K75s in the garage that has just under 40k miles on it. I've had it for 7 or 8 years, it is a wonderful bike. I've put a ton of money into it, most of which was not necessary, but worthwhile. But I bought a GT late last year, and the K75 has not been ridden since then. I have lots of adventures on it, and lots of "sweat equity". I bought it at a time when my life was very stressful, and that bike was a relief.
I love the K75s. I can't seem to actually go through with selling it.
:dunno:

Being the original owner, I would probably buy it back (if I were in your shoes). But some people aren't as sentimental about vehicles as others. The price sounds good too. I don't think you would ever regret buying it back, but I'll bet some day you'll regret it if you don't.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still struggling with the "where do I put it, what do I do with it" thing. My wife wishes I wouldn't get attached to inanimate objects like this, not fully "in" to doing this. I look at the GT and wonder just what the hell I want to go back for. Thanks for the replies, I always try to make sure everyone knows I've read them and appreciate them. HA HA to 1951 and KBMWRS. So far the GT has been pretty good to me though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
GillyWI said:
HA HA to 1951 and KBMWRS. So far the GT has been pretty good to me though.
Mine was good to me as well for 88,000 miles then :boom: , but time will tell. Like I asked before how many miles do you have on it? I don't think one has ever made it too 150,000 miles without a major problem, just not the BMW legacy I signed up for.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didn't know I was being asked the mileage, yeah nowhere near that, just like 11 or 12K. I don't ride nearly as much as you, hell even the K75 I "only" put 93K on in 20 yrs.
EDIT: Of course your riding season is probably longer in SC than it is in WI, but no good excuse to not put more miles on, just other interests.

·
Registered
305 Posts
After nearly 25 years with my S as my main ride it would be very hard to part with. It's not just a great bike but spans a huge part of my life & memories. If it ever dies I think I'll have it stuffed and hang it on the wall. :teeth

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I keep an extra bike around that is often used by friends and family when they are in town. If I did not have folks other than me who were using the extra bike I would not own a second bike. Too much time and expense wrapped up in keeping them maintained, inspected, insured. If I had an empty nest at home I may think of it differently but with young kids it is a challenge finding time for one bike let alone two.

Another factor is the age of the other bike you are considering. A few folks have mentioned it is getting more difficult to get parts for that generation of bike. I'm not sure how true that is but I know a couple of people who have used that excuse to update their bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts