BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I wondered what type of security folks use on there bikes. At home and on the road. Would love to get input on how you protect your ride. Cheers.

·
Registered
796 Posts
mostly I rely on the insurance.Park in the garage at home,in as safe a place as I can other times,a bicycle cable lock to lock all the gear on it. Sometimes a Sig p220 as a back up insurance.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I use 2 methods depending on where I might park and for how long.

The bike alarm with ignition immobiliser is the first line, always on when ignition off. I keep a cable in the top box for areas I don't know or longer period parking. Occasionally when I've parked at an airport for several days I have a lock wire long enough to reach a nearby ground post, rail, or wrap it round the centre stand. I reckon if the centre stand can't be dropped that's just another obstacle. I try to vary my parking place in lots I use regularly too, choose well lit areas and preferably in front of their security cameras. I've also pasted coded security dots and hidden microwave scannable senders all over the bike parts. Glows like a Noel tree when lit up with UV!

2 or 3 misfits with short scaffold tubes and a padded van will get most bikes if they want yours. If you've got a really expensive loved, bike you can afford GPS tracker via a cell. Insurance for me is a last resort, once its gone, its gone, comes back crashed or gets broken for parts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
i use a 44 mag on mine i find that it keeps hands off and it comes with a "pouch" so you can keep it on your person like when you go into the store and things like that

·
Registered
131 Posts
At home the Zebra stays in the garage. I never leave it outside. For some reason I've noticed at home or at work birds love to sit on it. You know what that means. Bird flys off, shits on bike. Any way, at work I park in front of my office and can look out. When traveling I put a Xena disk lock with alarm and a Sig 228!;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I'm at home the bike is in the garage, on alarm and start-circuit breaker. Besides that there is a disc lock on the front brake and a heavy chain on the rear wheel. This seems a lot, but in the Netherlands a lot of bikes are stolen and broken up for parts.
When I'm working the bike is parked in front of the office, with the alarm on and the disc lock on the front wheel.
We have no weapons available in Holland, so there is no other protection in that direction. I have been thinking about booby traps, but as they form a certain risk for me (yes, I'm 53 and sometimes forget things), and booby traps are illegal over here I dropped the idea.
Of course there is insurance, but I just do not want some lazy f**k to steal what I've been working for.

·
Registered
258 Posts
At home it's in the garage and when out where I cant see it, I attach the Xena - good visual deterant for someone that may not want to deal with the racket of that alarm and the attention it creates.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't ride to work, and only rarely into 'the city', so security is not a daily issue for me.

When travelling on the bike, I put on the Xena disklock/alarm and use a bike cover to keep curious eyes at bay.

I keep a retractable ski lock cable handy to secure helmets, jackets and such when leaving the bike unattended for any length of time.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Of all the people posting so far, I'm probably the most at risk - I live in an apartment complex and park both my 'cycles in a carport, the idiotic previous manager inexplicably giving me a space behind the next wing, completely out of view. :mad:

So, I keep both bikes covered with cover locks at all times when parked in the carport, and attached to a steel carport roof support pole with an Abus Steel-o-Flex 1000 cable through the frames, along with disc locks for both front wheels. The other bike already was vandalized by some low-life, so I am seriously contemplating getting a SR-i500 from Aritronix for the K.

·
Registered
349 Posts
At home the bike is in the garage. At work it sits outside where I can see it. On the road I use the fork lock and that is it. Should it ever get stolen I may revise what I do. Guns only help if you are awake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At home always garage. On the road the factory alarm, sometimes a cobralink lock, but the best for hotels any way is a baby monitor. They run on battery or 120v and you can hear anything that goes on around the bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In Albuquerque parked under a carport I've been using a Kryptonite NY chain with a NY U-lock on the rear, with a NY disk lock on the front and a cover. In 5 years no one has messed with it, I attribute it more to the cover than anything. It seems mostly invisible. Another bike in the same lot without a cover got knocked over regularly. When I commuted into Manhattan so long ago I used Kryptonite U-locks front and rear, with a cover and a cable around the cover (I had several stolen off the bike). In the free parking areas around the city you used to be able to leave the U-locks hanging on the fence when you were gone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
At home, it's always in the garage.
At work, it's right at the operator's lounge. No lock or alarm, just a cover. I'm more worried about the containers that are on the ships nowadays.
When I went to Mid-Ohio last year, it had a Xena disc alarm and the Scorpio alarm. Forgot the cover and cable lock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts