BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '06 k12s to the dealer today to get the banjo bolt and valve check interval recall items attended to.
The valve check interval fix is actually the upgrade to ver 6 software which is supposed to help the low rpm throttle response. It all went fine on my bike and does seem alot better. Not perfect, but much better. The bike used to jump idle between 1400 and 1600. Now it idles between 1100 and 1200. Much smoother but still a little jumpy. I guess that is normal. The low speed throttle response it smoother, but still not exactly smooth, again, I think this is normal. My LCD now read N instead of 0 as before. Also the selection that said Oil ------ is gone.
I know all of this is old news to alot of you, but wanted to share my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Hey, I'm just glad that you had a good experience with the updates. Not everyone has had your luck, including myself...but I haven't given up hope just yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
My 6.0 "upgrade" is still a throttle toggle switch. Unrideable under 50 mph, unless you like your neck snapping back and forth the whole time. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Catatafish said:
My 6.0 "upgrade" is still a throttle toggle switch. Unrideable under 50 mph, unless you like your neck snapping back and forth the whole time. :mad:
"unrideable"? wow. I can only suggest to take it to a different dealer, as that is definitely not normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
raytracer said:
I took my '06 k12s to the dealer today to get the banjo bolt and valve check interval recall items attended to.
The valve check interval fix is actually the upgrade to ver 6 software which is supposed to help the low rpm throttle response. It all went fine on my bike and does seem alot better. Not perfect, but much better. The bike used to jump idle between 1400 and 1600. Now it idles between 1100 and 1200. Much smoother but still a little jumpy. I guess that is normal. The low speed throttle response it smoother, but still not exactly smooth, again, I think this is normal. My LCD now read N instead of 0 as before. Also the selection that said Oil ------ is gone. I know all of this is old news to alot of you, but wanted to share my experience.
I had the 6.0 update and recalls done during my service yesterday. All the same experiences as you describe and one other.
I have a Remus slip on and I used to get the occasional pop on deceleration. I was hoping the 6.0 update would help clear that up but although most of the update has been positive, during my 30 mile ride home yesterday, I noticed I have allot of popping on almost every deceleration now. I wonder if it's running too rich now?
I'm hoping it will get better as the computer adjusts things over time but my guess is it wont. I'll check all my exhaust connections for any possible air leaks into the can but other than that, what can I do but hope it gets better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
Welcome to the club Mark...now you know why we've been bitching since getting the latest software. There is nothing you can do, other than put the stock pipe back on to subdue the ridiculous backfiring.

The backfiring combined with the clunky tranny...I'm back to my old harley riding days again!


How did the software make it through quality control...that's what I want to know! They had to notice it...no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do have some serious backfiring and popping now, but I dont mind it too much. I think they still have some work to do to get the EFI and fuel/air mixture correct. Hopefully a future update will resolve it. And yes, the tranny is clunky, but all the positives outweigh a few negatives for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
mark5lam said:
I had the 6.0 update and recalls done during my service yesterday. All the same experiences as you describe and one other.
I have a Remus slip on and I used to get the occasional pop on deceleration. I was hoping the 6.0 update would help clear that up but although most of the update has been positive, during my 30 mile ride home yesterday, I noticed I have allot of popping on almost every deceleration now. I wonder if it's running too rich now?
I'm hoping it will get better as the computer adjusts things over time but my guess is it wont. I'll check all my exhaust connections for any possible air leaks into the can but other than that, what can I do but hope it gets better?


Popping on decel is from being to lean, not to rich.

This is where the Dimsport and a good tuner comes into play. Or hopefully the next update (7.0 ? ) will richen things up a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
sportrider said:
Welcome to the club Mark...now you know why we've been bitching since getting the latest software. There is nothing you can do, other than put the stock pipe back on to subdue the ridiculous backfiring.

The backfiring combined with the clunky tranny...I'm back to my old harley riding days again!
Don't get me wrong, I still love my KS. Nothing in life is perfect but for me, the positives of the KS and most BMW motorcycles in general, far outweigh the few negitives which make up the character of the machine. Overall, I think the 6.0 was an improvement in throttle response. I'll need more miles to be sure.

However, I just don't understand why the popping on deceleration has gotten soooo much worse following the update.

If an adjustment to the software and electronic fuel control can make it worse, then it seems logical that an appropriate re-adjustment to the system should make it better.
For all the money, resources and engineering "know-how" at BMW's disposal, I see no reason why they can't get this right.
If past history is an indicator of the future, my guess is that small (aftermarket) companies (i.e. dynojet/power-commander) will solve these issues before BMW will. In my opinion, that's inexcusable. No one should have to spend hundreds of dollars in the aftermarket modifying their brand new 17,000+ dollar BMW so it will run correctly.

I can live with the popping for now as it doesn't really effect performance but I shouldn't have to. Frankly, I think it's embarrassing to be decelerating in and around town on my premium European motorcycle popping and garbling my way to a stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
If you want to know why it does it, talk to Ken at Evoluzione - he's got the scoop.

There is no fix available right now...I'll just leave it at that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
mark5lam said:
Frankly, I think it's embarrassing to be decelerating in and around town on my premium European motorcycle popping and garbling my way to a stop.
O'h wait till your buddies on their jap bikes hear that BMW farting around town - you'll never hear the end of it...:teeth I'll be at a rally at the end of next month with about 20-30 jap bike riders, and I dread it...they are going to give me sooo
much shit!

:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
This weekend is supposed to rain, so I'm contemplating putting my stock air filters and pipe back on, till' BMW get's their head out of their ass and fixes this.

Do you think that's a logical approach?

I'll sacrifice performance for unembarrasing moments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I dont know which version of software I have installed but I know it isnt 6.0. I still have the 0 to indicate neutral.

I have the full Akropovic system and have no discernable popping. I dont think I will go to the 6.0 software.

What else does 6.0 give you???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
sportrider said:
This weekend is supposed to rain, so I'm contemplating putting my stock air filters and pipe back on, till' BMW get's their head out of their ass and fixes this.

Do you think that's a logical approach?
I'll sacrifice performance for unembarrasing moments.
I actually like the sound and performance of the original stock can but it's way too big, too heavy, too hot and because of the internal catalytic converter, it stays too hot for too long after shut down. I'm sure all of those shortcomings are a result of BMW trying to meet DOT and EPA compliance standards but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Again, the benefits (in this case ,my Remus slip on) out weigh the negitives. Guess I'll just have to deal with the "pop-pop-garble-garble" and hope it's gets better or until someone figures out how to correct the issue.

Sounds good accelerating! Maybe I'll just do that and forgo the slowing down crap. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Sounds like it's a mixed group with the 6.0 software.. those happy with it.. those that aren't... It made all the difference on mine.. Now runs as smooth as a Angelina Jolie's fine butt.. Idles perfectly at start-up (where it used to die 2-3 times)...No backfires unless I chop the throttle quickly... If mine ran as bad as some of you guys say your bikes are.. it would be at the shop. Quirkiness is one thing... running poorly is another. That's what warranties are for. And if those that have the bad running bikes dealers can NOT solve the problem, they should request that the traveling BMW "trouble-shooter" rep should fly in and resolve the problem. He does this at no charge to the customer and is there just for those situtations.

Funny.. Mine used to have that whiplash inducing on/off throttle problem but ONLY if the bike was VERY VERY hot.. after a long ride.. So far I have NOT noticed that since the upgrade.. Mongo happy.

raytracer said:
I took my '06 k12s to the dealer today to get the banjo bolt and valve check interval recall items attended to.
The valve check interval fix is actually the upgrade to ver 6 software which is supposed to help the low rpm throttle response. It all went fine on my bike and does seem alot better. Not perfect, but much better. The bike used to jump idle between 1400 and 1600. Now it idles between 1100 and 1200. Much smoother but still a little jumpy. I guess that is normal. The low speed throttle response it smoother, but still not exactly smooth, again, I think this is normal. My LCD now read N instead of 0 as before. Also the selection that said Oil ------ is gone.
I know all of this is old news to alot of you, but wanted to share my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Pirate said:
Sounds like it's a mixed group with the 6.0 software.. those happy with it.. those that aren't... It made all the difference on mine.. Now runs as smooth as a Angelina Jolie's fine butt.. .........
If anybody's keeping track, I'm in the group that is generally happy with the 6.0 upgrade. I'm taking mine for a long ride around my area on Sunday to exercise the thing and see if it's really better or not but my initial impression is that my engine performance has be smoothed out and throttle response is improved.
I was just pointing out that in my case, for some reason the popping on deceleration seems to have gone from the occasional "pop" once in a while to lots of popping on each deceleration during my 30 mile ride home from the dealer.
Time will tell but as of now, I'd say the 6.0 is more of a good thing than not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Todd,

I think the N or 0 has more to do with the dot matrix on the '05 and the LCD on the '06 maybe? Or possibly whether the bike computer is installed or not. I noticed a few differences in yours with mine, perhaps it has to do with that. But still, would be nice to have a for sure way to know what version of software your bike has loaded.

ToddG said:
I dont know which version of software I have installed but I know it isnt 6.0. I still have the 0 to indicate neutral.

I have the full Akropovic system and have no discernable popping. I dont think I will go to the 6.0 software.

What else does 6.0 give you???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
raytracer said:
Hey Todd,

I think the N or 0 has more to do with the dot matrix on the '05 and the LCD on the '06 maybe? Or possibly whether the bike computer is installed or not. I noticed a few differences in yours with mine, perhaps it has to do with that. But still, would be nice to have a for sure way to know what version of software your bike has loaded.
It's the software.
I used to have a "0" in neutral. Now I have 6.0 installed and the shift indicator shows a "N" in neutral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, but you have an '06. Todd's is an '05. Is there anybody that has had their's change from 0 to N on an '05?

mark5lam said:
It's the software.
I used to have a "0" in neutral. Now I have 6.0 installed and the shift indicator shows a "N" in neutral.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top