BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please clarify what is needed(minimum) for bike-to-bike communication?
Just to talk to another rider on a different bike? Without radioXM/FM, radar, cellular phone,pillion.
O.K. to shout is the simplest:))

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Any FRS, FRS/GMRS radio, or CB radio installed on each bike. The difficulty comes into play when the audio needs piped into the helmet, or the radio needs integrated with an existing comm system.

My riding partner and I talk via FRS radio. I have a cheesy "FRS Pro" from Chatterbox that plugs into my IntaRide intercom, w/ a PushToTalk button. Nancy has a Chatterbox X1 installed on her bike, which has the FRS/GMRS radio built-in. So, we speak via FRS. The range is not an issue, so this works well for us.

A few considerations:
  • cost
  • range
  • how many bikes involved
  • radio integration with existing comm systems
  • headset installation
HTH

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Joe!
I will try to find something inexpensive just to test it.
The only question is could I use earplugs together with the radio earphones? Will I hear something?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Once inserted into the ear they only stick out approx 1/8". I have an arai Quantum and there is no pressure on the ear. When used a an ear plug they cut about 20+db of outside noise(better than my foam plugs) combine that with the great music they produce they are perfect.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Simple, you need the following:

• Helmet headset consisting of either speakers or earbuds and mic (preferably noise canceling and directional)
  • Handlebar mounted PTT switch
  • Cabling system to interconnect the audio interface on the radio with the PTT and headset
  • And of course, a radio
It can be done by hand, but it's easier just to buy one off the shelf. You can go with Chatterbox, Motocomm, the Brit outfit that I posted in the other thread. These are basically less expensive two way comm systems and you get what you pay for. When we did the Chatterbox thing, I bet I replaced the headsets 3 or 4 times, but they were cheap.

This is as bare bones as you can go, but the headset is top end. It will give you a feel for the components you will need.

A simple cable like this - Cable

Coupled with a PTT switch like this - PTT Switch

With a generic two pin two way radio and a standard 5 pin headset like this one -
Headset

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nolan alternative - bluetooth

check out the Nolan web site on their new Flip up helmet you will see stuff there about bluetooth - no wires between you and your rider - .

Seems like a good alternative.

Cheers.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
clickr said:
check out the Nolan web site on their new Flip up helmet you will see stuff there about bluetooth - no wires between you and your rider - .

Seems like a good alternative.

Cheers.
Nolan is good for bluetooth cellphone and intercom, but that's as far as it goes. Old Easy is looking for bike to bike solution and the Nolan doesn't do that. I posted some stuff on another site after reading the installation manual. It's pretty much a rip off if you want tunes, since you still have to run a cable from your inbound audio source/mixer to your helmet, no support for bike to bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been using autocom :D bike to bike for about a year, and I wouldn't go on a trip without it. Its fun and useful. I did have to carve a bit of the styrofoam to fit in the headfones and make it all comfortable for the ears. I use an Arai helmet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
cogie said:
I have been using autocom :D bike to bike for about a year, and I wouldn't go on a trip without it. Its fun and useful. I did have to carve a bit of the styrofoam to fit in the headfones and make it all comfortable for the ears. I use an Arai helmet.
Cogie:
I have an Arai helmet and use the autocom setup. You could not pull out the cheek pads to put the speakers behind them? I put them behind and they fit perfect.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
brucev said:
Cogie:
I have an Arai helmet and use the autocom setup. You could not pull out the cheek pads to put the speakers behind them? I put them behind and they fit perfect.
Same with my, the Arai is easier because of the pouches in the cheek pads, but both Arai and Shoei are easy. Mic placement and speaker alignment are everything.

Spacewife is an expert at flip up's, and rides with a Concept.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts