BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals, here's a response to all of you who messaged me regaurding my trip to Bill Mayer Saddles to have the seat fitted for my K12S.
The stock seat was sliding me into the back of the tank, sometimes painfully so.
I called Rocky(Bill III), and set an appointment for a ride in.
Upon arrival, handshakes all around, and some pretty good coffee. My complaints of the stock seat are noted, and off to work they go.
The seat is very supportive, and I think, looks very nice on the bike. It has a nice little pocket for my arse, but does allow for movement. :ricky
My 600 mile ride home was waaay more comfy than the ride out, in fact no discomfort at all. Took a shower, and went to dinner w/ my kids. I could do another 6-700 miles the next day, no problem. Money well spent.
I have no relationship w/ these fine folks, my aim is to give you guys and gals an option to the 2 by 4 that BMW excuses as a seat. My pics are a little big to post, so email me, and I'll send them to ya.
Bill Mayer Saddles are located in beautiful Ojai, California, just north of LA.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
mayer seat

I also went in for a replacement/upgrade for my K12R. More comfortable and looks great on the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously cost depends on what you have done and what you cover the seat in. Suggest you go to his website and check it out. Mine, covered in leather was $559.00. Included a bottle of leather conditioner, a tee shirt, and lunch. An added bonus, The rear portion of the seat was left stock, so that a seat cowl could be added.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the vinyl which was about $400. The black is actually a dark grey which matched bike perfectly and feels more like leather than the leather and is less slippery. Didn't get the tee shirt though, must be for the leather seat guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a VStrom guy there from Ventura getting his done Friday as well. He got the vinal w/ a griptex type seating surface. Looked really nice. The leather was more $, but should be lots cooler in the summers that we have here in Tucson. :sun:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice Seat Timm...

Hi Timmr,

Hope you said Hi to Rocky for Angie & I... Your seat looks great! Congrats on getting the best seat around BAR-NONE!!! I like the leather look but I'm cheap! Plus, I do ride in the rain (and last year 3 snow storms!) I don't like stopping to cover it. However, I've got to get over to Rocky's and have my seat done. Just keep putting it off! I still have my K-RS seat to sell first. That way it won't be some much money to drop at one time, on the new seat.
I never thought a seat could make a ride that much better until I tried Rocky's! In almost 300,000 BMW sMiles and many after market seats, I became a Bill Mayer FAN the first ride out from the rally site! I road 850 miles the first day with my new seat, I could've done a 1000 mile day, if I could've rode in the dark (I have night blindness) I just couldn't get over how good it made the ride!!!

So enjoy your seat! I hope to see ya at a few rallies this year... Shelley p.s. I'll be at Iron Horse BMW 4/8/06 getting the new software updated to 6.0! I both Angie, myself and some of the RimRiders will be there this Saturday for the Open House & Swap meet at Iron Horse. So maybe I'll get to see your new seat if you drop in... s. (;>

·
Registered
130 Posts
KRS Seat

Shelly,
I my be interested in your KRS seat. My wife has a '04 KRS and gets much butt pain from her stock seat. She is currently using a gel pad on top of the stock seat, but she still complains about pain in her ass. She is a smaller framed gal at about 120lbs. and 5'7". I think the stock seat is too wide for her smaller frame. Do you think your Bill Mayer seat would help? Post a pic of your custom KRS seat and give me an idea of how much you want for it.
Kurt - just up the hill in Flagstaff

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am 175 cm, 75kg. That's 5'9, 165lbs for those who cannot spell metrics ;-) I find the KS seat the most comfortable that I have used on any bike I ever owned - including cruiser and sport tourer. I even had a Corbin on my previous Ducati ST and that was nowhere near as good. May be I have yet to try anything better :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts