BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and so it begins... God help me...

Thought I'd share. Got the wheels back, tires re-mounted & balanced, and back on yesterday. Turned out very well. and yes.. she'll be predominantly pure white. Unlike my last K12.. this one will be wearing a lot of Carbon Fiber to contrast the white. Cost for the powder job was only $150. I had to buy TWO taps to tap out both my front wheel air valve hole (3/8") and the front rotor holes (8mm) but that was expected. That was another $25. I added an angled rear valve which makes it a little easier to get to. Did the mounting/balancing myself on my new No-Mar machine. Damn that thing is the best investment I've made in years. Impossible to scratch your wheels... as it should be.

Funny thing... Has anyone noticed that on the REAR tire of the Pilot Powers there are no directional arrows on the sidewall?? They are up on the tread area about 1/8" from the edge of the tire. Very odd. I wonder what they expect you to do about balancing should you wear them off... which I would have done by now if I was familiar with the bike... Go figure. Guess they expect them to stay on the bike until the tire is toast.

Finished mounting and wiring my 2100 series PIAA up front just today. Very simple. Easier than expected. Ran the power and ground directly to the battery and ran the optional switched wire to the parking light.. the white wire. It's gonna be spectacular. Haven't gotten a pic of that yet. Also got the wiring in place for my V1/HARD system. Slowly but surely... step by step...

Her panties...er.. plastic is in Kaleefornia being painted to match the wheels. No idea when I'll see that but I hope soon. Will post pics when I can.

Best wishes to everyone for a safe and Happy New Year...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice Work!

Wow Jerry those rims look awesome!! I can't wait to see more pics of your new work. I think you are going to start a new trend around here.
Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Man, that is beautiful! Eagerly read your posts and peruse your website waitng to see what you are going to do next.
Looked at your vacation trip pictures too. Your sister sure goes on a lot of trips with you. She shore is purty . Can I be introduced?
Anyway, jokes aside, you are living what should be my life, apparently. I am so jealous. Love the bike trip pics as well. Got to find a group of friends in this area like that!

·
There's a pill for everything
829 Posts
White Rims on a KS???

Pirate,

You really are queer in nature...........

And I can say that cause I have met you more than once, saw your K12RS and what ya did to a rear D205 on the Blue Ridge, and had the opportunity to meet your lovely wife. And and you had a hybrid car before they were in vogue.

I also notice you have covered your rear wheel hole.......
I hope that was lamb skin

LOL

Well you are a trend setter me thinks...........

Nice for you but I do not like
But hey what do you care if "I" like it................

Anyways Happy Christmas, Hanukah or what ever Holiday Cheer you are celebrating

But I do know one thing
Have a blast on that beast for the New Year and be careful
Us folks up North are just a bit upset that you can ride

Oh well maybe I move south
I can do it
I can do it
I can do it
I can do it

The little red engine that can

Later dude.......

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Logoguy... What I have neglected to do lately is post my follow up opinion of the bike.. Just too busy and had planned to put a few more miles on it. Yes.. originally I was VERY disappointed but things have changed.. In retrospect I should have waited before before spewing my views.. Not a first. My opinion has changed now that I have put some miles on her and changed a few things...

1. The horrible vibrations are going away as the milage goes on. I should have expected this as BMW's are built so tight. Mine's not even got 1000 miles yet but the initial vibrations prob has dimenished by 50%... I'll hazard a guess that by 5K the bike will be as smooth as Salma Hayaks right buttock...

2. The factory windshield is the worst I have seen for turbulence for my 5' 7.5" height. Even worse than the RS stock shield. At first I thought I'd have to suffer with it, but I installed one of the MRA touring windshields and it has changed the whole way I see the bike. I now have virtually clean air.. no noise... virtually the nicest "pocket" I have ridden behind on any bike.. ever. Amazing.

3. The Throttlmeister solved the numb hands problem.

4. Most importantly.. I have not only got used to the aberrant steering.. the Hossack.. I actually think it's ideal for this long heavy bike. On any other "sport" bike.. I would hate it as the turn in is simply too dramatic, but as the S is VERY long and still relatively heavy.. the odd design actually helps make the bike feel like it has a shorter wheelbase. Now that I'm used to it... I feel much more confident. Would I prefer standard forks? or the RS-type front end? Absolutely, but I have changed my tune on it and have decided to trust in the force and learn to love it. In the hands of ANY decent rider.. there's not an RS on the road that could stay with it on ANY road.

Bottom line.. I'm a convert. Have not missed my RS for even one minute since the changes were made.. and I'm not even done yet...

the god-like power is just icing... Me thinks it's gonna be a good, fast year...

and MOTOR.. Thanks for looking out for my rear hole.. I knew I could count on you..

Hope to see you all in 2006. .. in my mirrors.

logoguy said:
I thought you didn't like the bike? What the hell do you do to bikes you like?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great work. But, you have to admit you started with some great looking wheels to begin with.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Jerry,
I am not surprised your opinions changed with time, I didnt like the bike at all at my first test ride, couple months later and a second longer test ride and I was eagerly buying.

I still believe it is the finest street bike I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Jerry,

Can you post the link of the place that did your wheels? I want to invest in a No-Mar too, after I powdercoat my wheels. They look awesome. Can't wait to see the completed version.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
White Extremist

Actually... The place that does my wheels doesn't have a website and generally doesn't deal with the public. .. and.. they ONLY powder white.

The place is called Nashville Metal Prep in Nashville Tn. They usually do exclusive powder coating work for Volvo, but I know the guy. Odd thing I learned a few years ago.. It's very hard to get a PURE white. Not sure why but many have told me this.. This place does the purest white of anyone I have seen so I stick with them. If you still want their contact info.. PM me..

Yes.. the No-Mar machine is too freakin cool. Worth every penny.. It's the best money I've invested in the last 25 years. Mine's already paid for itself and I haven't had it for even a year.. but the best part... total piece of mind knowing I can't scratch my wheels.
Mongo say... "piece of mind good."

sportrider said:
Jerry,

Can you post the link of the place that did your wheels? I want to invest in a No-Mar too, after I powdercoat my wheels. They look awesome. Can't wait to see the completed version.

Thanks...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts