BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
My brakes need bleeding on my k12 gt I want to do it myself and just wanting any advice please.
I've just replaced all the pads and pins but the bleeding looks a lot more involved. I have the CD but theres no mentiom of the bleed nipple at the handbrake reservoir and i'm wandering what its for.
I'd like to do the whole system, sny advise appreciated.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you have a 2007+ K-bike then standard bleeding is very simple and requires only the usual bleeding at the calipers (just like on a non-ABS system) and that's it. There is normally no need to bleed at the master cylinder (brake lever) unless you have completely drained the master cylinder. Things are more complicated if you have opened any brake lines (other than at the calipers) or have a 2006 or earlier bike with the 'servo' brakes, but for 2007+ and later it's very easy.

·
Registered
677 Posts
On 2007+ KGT I was able to bleed front and rear by just pumping the lever and cracking the nipple at the respective calipers with a hose immersed in a bottle with brake fluid, and a little topping off at the reservoirs. I did a pretty complete flush like that. The nipple at the master cylinder is for dealer/factory fill and is not needed for this.

Try not to snap off the bleed nipples if they are stuck tight. A little penetrating oil first helps. Speed bleeders make it even easier if your arms and legs won't reach the levers and nipples at the same time.

That's about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just finished bleeding my brake system. Front, rear and abs. I spent $25 for a motion pro mini bleeder. In my mind it's the way to go. Has a check valve and a socket that fits the nipple. Available in different sizes. True one person bleeding. They suggest doing a final "conventional" bleed. Didn't see any air bubbles on the final bleed.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts