BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 K1200RS.

The 3 push on type fasteners that hold each pod to the frame are in need of replacement. I don't know what they are called, but someone once posted a repair proceedure with replacement fasteners. The dealer cannot get them and I have not been able to find a source for them. Any help with the name of the fastener (metal 'fingers' that grasp the stud) and where I can buy them would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't know of a source for the clip fasteners themselves. I bought an used scuffed pod and salvaged the clips by drilling out the rivets and re-rivetting to my pod. BTW, the best advice I ever got, you don't have to remove the pods to take the side fairing pieces off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
brentboshart said:
I don't know of a source for the clip fasteners themselves. I bought an used scuffed pod and salvaged the clips by drilling out the rivets and re-rivetting to my pod. BTW, the best advice I ever got, you don't have to remove the pods to take the side fairing pieces off.
I thought there was a screw under the pod you needed to undo to remove the side fairing. What's the trick?

·
Registered
398 Posts
K_Flyer said:
I thought there was a screw under the pod you needed to undo to remove the side fairing.
Nope, there is not. Sides slip off with pods in place. If you are removing the front fairing/headlight assembly then the pods need to come off.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I fixed mine. You can't buy the baskets and clips separately, but you can get back plates and they aren't many $$'s. The bad news is that 2 baskets are on the cheap back plate and the third is on the more expensive whole pod assembly.

I was lucky that out of 6 baskets and clips on 2 pods, 1 basket and clip on each back plate was ok, so I drilled the rivets and replaced the broken baskets on the pod itself, making 3 good ones's on each pod.

These clips are a pain. If I'd had the time I'd have looked at making some U shaped brackets carrying a simple electrical grommet to push into the pegs, like the system they use to steady the 2 main plastics.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I took a different route when I fixed mine, all 3 baskets on the throttle side were in poor order and the pod was in serious danger of detaching. The solution I found was to drill 2 small holes beween the rear most baskets, feed a zip tie through and secure to the inner fairing bracket.

Ok so this method is a bit cheap and nasty but the black zip tie is nearly impossible to see and there is no way the pod is falling off. In future I simply snip the tie to remove the pod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts