BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this? I know, I should just buy an Autocomm, but I have been toying with the idea of buying a Blackberry (or something similar) with telephone/bluetooth technology, and then using some sort of wireless headset under my helmet which I could use elsewhere also.

Or even without bluetooth, a wired headset to the cellphone, if I could get one with software which would allow a setting to automatically answer calls and then automatically hang up when the other caller hung up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BMW has a bluetooth compatable helmet that is sold everywhere but the US - I believe the helmet is not DOT certified (although it meets all European certifications). Currently, the BMW helmet with bluetooth is only available on the flip up (it is called the System 5). A non-flip up helmet (Sport Integeral) is not available with bluetooth - yet - it should be available sometime in 06. I have a name/ email address of a gentleman in Germany who works at a BMW motorcycle dealership who will accommodate the purchase and shipping of the System 5 to the states. Although it looks like a slick set-up, the cost is high - $450 euro for the helmet plus $350 euro for the bluetooth kit plus $120 euro for the installation (not sure why they charge extra to install their own kit?!). If you want his contact information, just send me a PM.

On that note, I am sure other manufacturers will join the parade and provide bluetooth compatability in helmets and I would expect a corresponding reduction in prices as they introduce these products. You can see the BMW helmets on any BMW Motorad site that is outside the US - I would check out the UK site for information.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cardo headset

I like the look of the Cardo headset. Thanks for finding it for me. I think I'll look into that one. It looks like just what I was talking about. The helmet, on the other hand, is a dynamite concept but has the look of something you would buy at Wal-Mart for $49.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chatterbox is supposed to be coming out with a bluetooth compatible set this year (better hurry huh?). I have the TREO 650 (BT Comp) and have put the bluetooth headset on with my helmet a time or two, but not sure that I really want to talk to anyone that bad. The Chatterbox FRSX2 has input that I can hardwire talk through the helmet system, but the quality is not the best. The TREO has build in MP3 so from time to time, I'm listening to tunes and receive a call (non BT). . . when this happens, I tell the caller I'm going to pull over and give them a call back. I am not anti-driving and talking on cell (cage), but when I'm on the bike I don't want any division of attention.

If interested in Chatterbox BT setup, just google it . . . that way you can have your choice of helmet and the ability to talk.

dc in KC
IBA#24390
'02 K12RSa

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Riding and phoning

I'm with ya, DC, I don't really want to talk to someone on the phone when I'm riding either. But the reality of my occupation is that I am wedded to a cellphone, and I'm supposed to answer it 24/7. If I'm on my bike and feel the vibration in my pocket from my cell phone, I've got to find a safe place to stop, pull off my gloves, pull off my helmet, fish my cell phone out of my pocket, retrieve the voicemail and deal with the call.

Maybe I'm looking for an easy solution in the wrong place, when the easiest solution is just to go buy the damn Autocomm and put their hardware in my helmet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Chuck, It might be safer to pull over and take the call then. Latest studies show that hands free cell phones don't improve the safety record of drivers. I say that because it seems like every time I see a driver do something really stupid they are on a cell phone. Saying that, I think that the wireless technology is right around the corner. I should say cheaper technology. I would love to get rid of the wires to my satalite radio. Don

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you guys think about THIS...

http://www.clearercom.com/index.htm

I like this one. This is wired... plugs right in to my Motorola cell phone, but the only part that fits under the helmet is the earbud. With a throat mike, I'm thinking voice clarity would be good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No Wires

Hi guys,
I think this system has to many wires, It will take too much time to get it on or of from your body.
bluetooth is the best ...

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wires

I hear you about the wires, but if I bought an Autocomm, it would be the same thing only more. I would like to go Bluetooth, but I'm thinking that this is a cheaper alternative.

I bought one online, so I'll let you know how it comes out. Should be here in a week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are looking for added functionality...

If you want to spend a 'little' more.... check out TomTom Rider. GPS w/Bluetooth that integrates with your cell phone. Bit on steep side $1100.

Allows for incoming calls, but you have to be stopped to make out going calls.

I don't have one myself (I have the Autocomm setup), but I do like their solution to bluetooth and battery life. They have a seperate device, that's the BT device, and connect via wire the helmet speaker. Makes it far easier to recharge than some of the other bluetooth headsets out there.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$1100!!?

Ouch! That's too much money to throw at my county phone.

But I haven't gotten the rig in the mail I ordered anyway, so I'm still dealing with fishing a phone out of my pocket.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Problem with the Bluetooth that I had was when traveling the cell phone connection will change carries. The phone changes it's frequency and the Bluetooth connection get's knocked out. I would lose the use of the Bluetooth and have to reboot it.

Now that was in the big tractor that hauled the BIG trailer that hauled the K1200RS.
When i am on the Bike the last thing I want to do is think about a phone.
Bazra
aka: The Flash

·
Registered
82 Posts
What ? on the phone?

The last thing I want to do when I am riding is to be on the phone. I only carry my cell as an emergency tool

plastics

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another factor....

Chuck... I have a Blackberry running through the Autocomm "pro"
unit. I also have Radar and MP3 running through the device.
In addition to incredible noise reduction another thing that the Autocomm does really well is manage the various volume levels of each device automatically. For example.... I can have the MP3 volume pretty high.... The Autocom is already, automatically, dampening out wind noise etc..... The Blackberry will take a call and as soon as I speak the Autocomm will automatically adjust volume of all other devices to a level that allows me to talk on the cell. All the while the Autocomm is keeping that wind noise out of the helmet. Pretty slick rig. I do not know what type of noise reduction capability you would be pairing up with the wireless but I would consider noise reduction and hands free capability a greater consideration then actual wireless. I have the Autocomm hard wired to the bike so it really is a single wire to the helmet. Everything else flows to the device that is mounted under the seat.
I was highly skeptical that this technology could really keep out wind noise at 100 plus MPH. I am now a believer. It really does work.
Good luck
MG

·
Registered
56 Posts
MG -

Are you using the Autocomm BT adapter for the Blackberry? or is it hardwired in?

I don't mind a single wire going to my helmet...however I do hate disconnecting all the different devices from the autocomm.. GPS, mobile phone, MP3 player. If I can eliminate at least one (mobile) of the wires, that would be great -- or even two of them (mobile & Mp3).

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
bodybybuddha said:
MG -

Are you using the Autocomm BT adapter for the Blackberry? or is it hardwired in?

I don't mind a single wire going to my helmet...however I do hate disconnecting all the different devices from the autocomm.. GPS, mobile phone, MP3 player. If I can eliminate at least one (mobile) of the wires, that would be great -- or even two of them (mobile & Mp3).

Thanks!
I just bought a MixIt2 and it takes care of all of that. I can plug in my custom earplug/earphones to the mix it and then plug in the radio, the garmin and the radar detector. I have yet to try it out, I just got it last night.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Noise reduction

To Gossen - Thanks for the info. I actually did look at the Autocom and I was impressed. I even got a little impromptu demo from the parts guy at the local dealership. That may be the way I go in the future if the little rig I bought online doesn't work... it has an earbug and a throat mike. The only hesitation I have with the Autocom is that I have a close-fitting, flip face helmet and I am not happy with the prospect of cutting foam out of it to make things fit. I'm giving up on Bluetooth. I'm happy to be wired if it just works well enough. Maybe down the road when there are more helmets on the market with Bluetooth and some lower prices, I could be tempted to try it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
bodybybuddha said:
MG -

B3 - I am hardwired to the Blackberry. Keep in mind that I have everything under the seat. MP3, Radar, Cellular, it all runs into the Autocom Pro unit under the seat. Then there is one wire that connects helmet to Autocomm unit. So.... The only thing I unplug is the cellular phone when I take it with me. Everything else stays wired up. Works well. I am really impressed with the Autocom product.

MG

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
Reaction time 3 times that of drunks!

Cycle World had a blurb this month giving a thumbs up to Exxon for banning all cellphone use by employees while on company business. They had found that the reaction time of someone on a cellphone is 3 times greater than a driver over the legal limit for alcohol. That's enough to keep me off the phone when I'm riding. Have you ever ridden drunk? Would you like to be three times more impaired than that?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts