BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a K1200s with the bags and navigation system. I am looking to get a bluetooth headset so I can hear the voice commands without having to take my eyes off the road. Which headset is a good one that won't fall off or shut off when you put your helmet on?

·
Registered
161 Posts
while i was looking i only found two makers of the helmet mounted headset . I ordered the motorola but have not seen it yet to tell you what I think

·
Registered
161 Posts
I no sooner post a response and the mailman walks in with the headset . Its charging right now . I will test it out and post my review.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks Tony! Could you give me the website so I can take a look at the items? Does it have to be helmet mounted? The regular earpiece won't fit under the helmet right? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
161 Posts
its a motorola hs830hlmt. it does come with a helmet mount, a cute little item . I paid 75 on pricegrabber but saw one slightly cheaper on the bay . It shipped pretty fast,about 5 days

·
Registered
161 Posts
ksann said:
How do you recharge it?

Is it easy to remove from the helmet?

What helmet are you using?

ken
It comes with its own wall charger . It took about two hours to charge . The helmet module attaches to the helmet with double sided 3m tape , it has a foam covered mic and an external ear speaker that attaches with velcro or a zip tie. The bluetooth module slips inside the helmet module . it also comes with a necklace that the module plugs onto with a built in earphone and mic. It also has the ability to act as a intercom if you have a second unit . Since my wife has seen it now I have to order another one. THERE ARE THREE BUTTONS ON THE MODULE two outside buttons are for the volume and the large center button has a multifunction ,answer ,end call,mute and to standby the intercom . I have it attached to my shoei duotec.I have been playing with an issue with the nav3 ,it disconnected the phone from the nav3 stating weak bluetooth signal from the phone. My phone is a razr v3. I have reinstalled both units to the nav3 this evening and will try it out on a ride tomarrow.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jamac73 said:
I bought a K1200s with the bags and navigation system. I am looking to get a bluetooth headset so I can hear the voice commands without having to take my eyes off the road. Which headset is a good one that won't fall off or shut off when you put your helmet on?

Give this a look. Works very well for me.
Cardo Systems
http://www.cardowireless.com/buy/store.php

·
Registered
161 Posts
BeemerDude said:
Give this a look. Works very well for me.
Cardo Systems
http://www.cardowireless.com/buy/store.php
This item had a good review but cost over 100.00 more.

On another note : I just found out from garmin by phone that motorola phones once paired with the gps along with a bluetooth headset have an issue ,they disconnect via the bluetooth signal from the gps while on the phone. Garmin claims its and issue with motorola having a weak bluetooth signal while on a call. The headset does not disconnect. Has anyone else had this issue with other phones other than motorola?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Keep us posted.

Any idea how it will work when paired to two phones at the same time?
I always have my Treo and my Nokia, both currently paired to my bluetooth headset. But have not tried with the NavIII.

ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
well the ability does exsist to pair several bluetooth devices to the gps but I only own motorola phones. Maybe you can try it out for us ken

·
Registered
29 Posts
tonysrep said:
well the ability does exsist to pair several bluetooth devices to the gps but I only own motorola phones. Maybe you can try it out for us ken
I just ordered the same headset, as soon as I get it, i will give it a try.

Unfortunately, I will have to try it in my car for a while, as I currently have a broken left foot. So I will be able to discuss functionality with multiple phones, but not about wind-noise.

Thanks for the lead on the headset, looks like a good idea.

ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thought I would give the latest info . I searched the web this weekend because I just could not beleive motorola phones were the issue concerning loosing the bluetooth connection to the nav 3. I found two interesting post concerning bluetooth disconnects with garmin products. The first one concerns use of cordless phones in range of bluetooth signal. The 2.4 gig cordless phones would corupt bluetooth as they both run at 2.4 gig bandwith. My cordless phones operate at 5.8 gigs and 6.5 gigs so you wouldn't think it would be a problem but I think it is. At my shop and home I use cordless phones and it disconnected the phone from the nav 3 during a call at both locations. The other item I found concerning pairing the phone to the gps. I was entering the menu for bluetooth then searching for devices within the gps's bluetooth software . I read on another forum for treo phones to have the phone search for the gps, not the other way around. I tested out both theory's this morning I deleted the phone from the gps and the nav3 from the phone in the device history menu, then had the phone search for new devices and paired the gps to the phone. I then rolled the bike across the street away from my cordless phone and make a call with the bike running . It worked . Now to try in the field. Its been raining today so I may have to wait till tomarrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
tonysrep, have you tried contacting Garmin?

I can't believe that one of the biggest Nav manufacturers doesn't have a remedy for a problem with one of the best seeling phones on the market, one that has been out for a year now.

As soon as I get my new headset, I will try it with both my Nokia and my Treo.
Hopefully that will shed some light on your challenge (indicating if it is the V3, if it works with both of my phones, or with the headset, if it doesn't (I ordered the same set as you have)).

Please keep us posted.

ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
As I stated above garmin told me over the phone that their research has concluded motorola has issues with their bluetooth. I would not mind not connecting to the gps but I like the idea of being able to make a call in a emergency without having to pull over. I am surprise myself this issue exsist with one of the best selling phones on the market . At this point I would like to know what brand phones don't have issues with garmin products. I have also found out verizon software packages have and issue also. I have cingular at the moment. :mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I ordered the headset last Friday evening, hope it gets here in the next few days so that I can try it out.

My Nokia is Cingular, my Treo is Sprint.

I too like the interface with the Nav to phone. Very slick seeing my address book and recent call list on the screen.

And being that I can't ride for a while (broken foot), I will get lots of use out of it in my cage.

Are you happy with the quality of the headset?

Have you already mounted it to your helmet?

Got pics?

Thanks.

ken

·
Registered
161 Posts
update 10-17

Well after some fuss I think I have the issue sorted. A few more calls will comfirm. As I stated on an earlier post, garmin wishes for the connection to be established from the phone . So at least with motorola you cannot allow the gps to use its auto connect feature , you have to enter connections ,handsfree to establish the connection . If I don't do this the phone disconnects the bluetooth connection claiming a weak bluetooth signal. I have been testing this issue on my way to work and to home in my car (its been raining).
So please post if the issue exsist with your brand cellphone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nolan Bluetooth?

I believe I saw somewhere that Nolan is now selling a bluetooth equiped helmet. Anybody know anything about this yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:confused: Is there a per minute charge by your cell phone company while you are linked to the GPS??? (by the way great discussion!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts