BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
Oh so true. I love this bike so much I just bought a second one to have a pair. I totally agree, people will start realizing what a prize it is. Problem though BMW dealers are starting to not work on older bikes. Then there will be parts so stock up on stuff if you love your bike. I'd buy a third but the wife would have me committed. (not really, everytime we do the bills she says hey, no bike payment, go buy something.) Here is the list of work done by Recardo engineering in the UK to move from the K12 to the K13. In a way I love the simplicity of the K13S as opposed to the new stuff with keyless ignition, and other things. Coming soon is auto speed regulation and other nanny items. We are at the tail end of the gas engine world and I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride all these great machines for the last 60 years. Now I have two K13S bikes and it's wonderful.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
As is so often the case...it’s not what is said but what isn’t...the 1300 was just a victim of what went on before.

The 1200s was launched in September 2004, it was such a disaster all the bikes got shipped back to Germany and the bike was re-launched in 05, the 05/06 if i’m Being kind...left a lot to be desired, if cruel an absolute efffing disaster.

Germany realised they had a major cock up on their hands and 07/8 bikes were a step in the right direction.

Here in the UK by pure luck we’re had a saviour...our currency crashed on the exchange market and European bike dealers flooded the UK buying anything with two wheels,at the time I was working for Motorcycle News moving motorcycles, and I witness a buyer walk into BMW dealer just pointing at bikes ‘I’ll have that and that’ they took him to the bank and he paid cash 😀.

So......05/06 bikes thankfully are a rarity in the UK,and BM’s reputation was already with the 1200 was becoming well known and the 07/08 bikes were not big sellers.

Which brings us to the 1300..it’s the bike that should have be launched in 04 but the dye was cast by then and it never recovered and BMW walked away.

For the private buyer with vision and money so much more can be done, but most find it just as easy to go buy a more modern bike.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Good points on the K1200, it has so many issues. The K13 while covering many of those problems still had idle air valve problems and the box too. Then there was the stalling at clutch in and throttle chop. That was mostly delt with via software idle adjustment. Lets not forget the era of switch groups going south. All this I'm sure was enough to sour all but the most hardened owners. There was a lack of advertising too. I didn't see them in the moto magazines. Just an ignored stepchild. The're out there for sale and I recommend them for folks who can do much of their own work to cut costs. Not a cheap motorcycle to own. If you want that then there are Honda's and other great bikes from Japan.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Good points on the K1200, it has so many issues. The K13 while covering many of those problems still had idle air valve problems and the box too. Then there was the stalling at clutch in and throttle chop. That was mostly delt with via software idle adjustment. Lets not forget the era of switch groups going south. All this I'm sure was enough to sour all but the most hardened owners. There was a lack of advertising too. I didn't see them in the moto magazines. Just an ignored stepchild. The're out there for sale and I recommend them for folks who can do much of their own work to cut costs. Not a cheap motorcycle to own. If you want that then there are Honda's and other great bikes from Japan.
I have a hard time finding K1300S’s for sale, but plenty of early model K1200s’s. I am considering selling mine and finding a K1300S.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
You have put so much work in that K12 but you will like the K13 a whole lot. Local is difficult. I bought one in Salt Lake City and it is the process of being shipped. There was a nice black one in Florida at a dealer. On line cycle trader.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Beech,
I’ve got my eye on K13S and was wondering if you might have a list of recalls and/or areas of potential significant concern to be considered in a purchase evaluation?
Thank you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
On recent trips to Spain, Germany and a few days in other countries I saw many K1200s. A popular bike with many fans. Not sure of the corporate BMW motives however its a Fantastic machine. I got mine at a good price and could not be happier. As fun and helpful as this forum is its a echo chamber of helpful info and ocassionally doom and gloom. Not trading mine not selling it’s just raw and wonderfu. Not afraid of broken bits the joyousness of its abilities pale to issues. Yes I’m getting a K1300 because it’s nla and I want the digital dash. Trade or sell my K12 ? Not. Ever.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As is so often the case...it’s not what is said but what isn’t...the 1300 was just a victim of what went on before.

The 1200s was launched in September 2004, it was such a disaster all the bikes got shipped back to Germany and the bike was re-launched in 05, the 05/06 if i’m Being kind...left a lot to be desired, if cruel an absolute efffing disaster.

Germany realised they had a major cock up on their hands and 07/8 bikes were a step in the right direction.

Here in the UK by pure luck we’re had a saviour...our currency crashed on the exchange market and European bike dealers flooded the UK buying anything with two wheels,at the time I was working for Motorcycle News moving motorcycles, and I witness a buyer walk into BMW dealer just pointing at bikes ‘I’ll have that and that’ they took him to the bank and he paid cash 😀.

So......05/06 bikes thankfully are a rarity in the UK,and BM’s reputation was already with the 1200 was becoming well known and the 07/08 bikes were not big sellers.

Which brings us to the 1300..it’s the bike that should have be launched in 04 but the dye was cast by then and it never recovered and BMW walked away.

For the private buyer with vision and money so much more can be done, but most find it just as easy to go buy a more modern bike.
I appreciate your honesty and wish more K1200S owners would stop being BMW purists and admit it's an awesome bike with great potential and major design flaws.
I thoroughly looked at all 2022 models and the only thing I envied was the standardized turn signal cancel switch.
With my eyes closed I could do left and right turns or cancel in mili seconds.
Thanks for this post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
The recalls also have some quiet "okay we'll fix that" sort of thing. But In general chain jump guard, air box and idle air valve (only if you complained), switches, ignition switch antenna, fuel pump system and some software up dates. That is about it. I try to keep ahead of things and have lots of miles on my bike, all fun ones (ignoring some crashes).
The bikes in Europe have different software built into them and they run better, one thing to keep in mind. Not the same animal as sold in the states.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh so true. I love this bike so much I just bought a second one to have a pair. I totally agree, people will start realizing what a prize it is. Problem though BMW dealers are starting to not work on older bikes. Then there will be parts so stock up on stuff if you love your bike. I'd buy a third but the wife would have me committed. (not really, everytime we do the bills she says hey, no bike payment, go buy something.) Here is the list of work done by Recardo engineering in the UK to move from the K12 to the K13. In a way I love the simplicity of the K13S as opposed to the new stuff with keyless ignition, and other things. Coming soon is auto speed regulation and other nanny items. We are at the tail end of the gas engine world and I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride all these great machines for the last 60 years. Now I have two K13S bikes and it's wonderful.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the K1200S left right
Thank you so much for the Info Bulletin. I have to change the combination switches before I get kiled. I'm glad for the rest of you BMW has moved forward into the past but I am unable to find the horn button and searching for the turn signals is usually the only time I hit the horn. There are plenty of combo switches on ebay I just need a wiring diagram.
I seem to find the start button OK and its weirid and awkward on top but it reminds me I have to wait for computer or the brakes will fail. I'd like to get the combo tail turn signal led light bar from autozone. $15 is in my budget. The small stock tail light isn't reassuring .

Is there an straight forward wiring diagram available?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I have no wiring diagrams. The switches can be changed out at home. But you need the factory DVD for service or a very good YouTube show. There are some screws that are hard to find. Also the small ones are #9 Torx and easy to strip if you are not carefull with the driver tool. The combination switches are available new and that is the best way to go. Unless you can find some good ones on Ebay. New ones cost plenty now, left side with the horn is 350$ right side about 320$. Double from when I bought some.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The author said, at the time this article was written (2018): "the whole Sport Touring segment has retracted and Adventure has been the growth segment."

Well, it looks like things have changed since 2018. Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha appear to have dived right into the sport touring market that BMW vacated. Do they know something that BMW doesn't? Could it be that they got tired of trying to compete with the GS? Or does their research show that half the people who buy adventure bikes never leave the paved roads? The prediction of K1300S value appreciation just might come true.

Reactions: Beech

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Felix, I totally agree, the latest Asian bike makers are getting into the sport touring big time. BMW is coming into it with a 800 lb pig called the R1800. Nice retro but the victory bikes died a couple of years ago. This one will too. I would like to see a S1000RS. But it would compete with the R1250RS in some ways. Not for me, put the new S engine in it and de tune it to 190 HP, foot pegs and bars like the S1000R and a little bigger faring set up. Sport bags and ... zoom we're off.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hey, there are some nice K1300S bikes around the country for sale. Just need to buy one and have it shipped to you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts