BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My personal experience!
Had a 05 k1200s and rode it very spirited for over 8 years and 60k miles, in that time I had no major failures, rear diff was reliable with routine oil changes with the updated 180ml level, clutch and transmission was predicable and reliable and origina, all switches worked perfect, always started and performed excellent! Never a single leak or loss of fluid.
Road trip after road trip it performed to my expectations and above, never let me down at anytime. I enjoyed the full power all the time, its been at redline very often! like every single ride, I don’t baby it but I don’t abuse it either. Never a hiccup with the bike!
My 05 was the best and most reliable bike I’ve ever owned period. Just like any media or information center you’ll hear mostly about the bad or unfortunate ones, but never hear about the reliable great running bikes because that’s not forum friendly! For every one bad experience on the k1200s there’s 100 good ones you don’t hear about!
A disaster (are you f—king kidding me) I call BS on that by my own experience it’s a fantastic bike and was a pleasure to own! I also maintained it very well and that’s the key!
Now I have another K1200s and a K1300s, plus looking for another because why not!
I could have bought anything I wanted after my 05 but went back to the K12/K13s for a reaso and that is there awesome and it’s not a electronically diluted machine, it’s raw and that’s what I like! Raspy idle and all.
like Beech has said, these type of bikes, power, handling, pure muscle and comfort with enough refinement but not much are a thing of the past and owning a great machine like this is a pleasure and privilege.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree 100% Sbike. I have had my 2008 k1200r since new and also do all my own maintenance . Only done 108k miles tho’:)
Replaced the clutch and thermostat and front wheel bearing and that’s all. If I’d read the forums before buying it i probably wouldn’t have. I mentioned in a previous thread that this is the first bike that I haven’t wanted to upgrade to the next model. I run 75-140 in the final drive and still have the original seal but have read so many stories of failed seals. I still get a great deal of pleasure jumping on and riding with my mates. I love the handling and stability but because of the long wheelbase you do have to set up earlier in a corner. I am getting 50mpgUS on a ride and the bike uses no excess oil.

·
Premium Member
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
911 Posts
I just bought a second one, a 2011 red and black, nerve racking buying a bike from across 1000 miles but it is a good one. K bikes rule. For me so comfortable and quick, well fast. The S bike is quick. The shipping company came at 1840 hrs. as promised and this was dropped off. V-Twin Express shipped it to me. Worked no problem. The subcontractor with Demetri as driver was a really good guy. Not a moto enthusiast but tied it down properly in his trailer. I walked it out and was glad it was home. Bike as promised by Harrington motorsports in Sandy Utah is as described. All good people. This photo I just rolled it into the shop. Very pleased. These bikes are special and there are no more being made. Think about that if you want one. Just to let you know you can buy one from across long distances. Yeah, that is a 2.5 ton lathe in the back ground. Hendey, you need power to make cannons. And a very precision mill from Austria, Emco for the small stuff.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
520 Posts
My personal experience!
Had a 05 k1200s and rode it very spirited for over 8 years and 60k miles, in that time I had no major failures, rear diff was reliable with routine oil changes with the updated 180ml level, clutch and transmission was predicable and reliable and origina, all switches worked perfect, always started and performed excellent! Never a single leak or loss of fluid.
Road trip after road trip it performed to my expectations and above, never let me down at anytime. I enjoyed the full power all the time, its been at redline very often! like every single ride, I don’t baby it but I don’t abuse it either. Never a hiccup with the bike!
My 05 was the best and most reliable bike I’ve ever owned period. Just like any media or information center you’ll hear mostly about the bad or unfortunate ones, but never hear about the reliable great running bikes because that’s not forum friendly! For every one bad experience on the k1200s there’s 100 good ones you don’t hear about!
A disaster (are you f—king kidding me) I call BS on that by my own experience it’s a fantastic bike and was a pleasure to own! I also maintained it very well and that’s the key!
Now I have another K1200s and a K1300s, plus looking for another because why not!
I could have bought anything I wanted after my 05 but went back to the K12/K13s for a reaso and that is there awesome and it’s not a electronically diluted machine, it’s raw and that’s what I like! Raspy idle and all.
like Beech has said, these type of bikes, power, handling, pure muscle and comfort with enough refinement but not much are a thing of the past and owning a great machine like this is a pleasure and privilege.
I’m really glad to hear this. My transmission has broken. My differential has gone pop and needs replacing. The fuel level gauge has never worked. One of my coil packs went out and left me crying (spark plugs and coil packs since replaced), as well as the inner valve cover gasket.

I have 35k-ish miles on it. I want a K1300S. Every problem I’ve had seems to have been rectified with that bike. And now everyone here’s gonna price me out of one cries

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ha ha love it 👍🏾
I can't believe how fast the bike is but today I had to park on a steeo hill. I planned ahead in case the brakes didn't work. Alas the didn't work even after a long warm up. It's taken all my skill and years of experience to get out of these situations. Does the 08 have the same ABS or power assist crap?
I got paid today but forgot I have no gas gauge and ran out on the way home.
Sorry Chicken Little but this bike is the worst piece of crap since my '68 Norton after I put in a Barnett clutch..

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I can't believe how fast the bike is but today I had to park on a steeo hill. I planned ahead in case the brakes didn't work. Alas the didn't work even after a long warm up. It's taken all my skill and years of experience to get out of these situations. Does the 08 have the same ABS or power assist crap?
Sorry Chicken Little but this bike is the worst piece of crap since my '68 Norton after I put in a Barnett clutch..
Servo or “whizzy” brakes ended with the 2006 models. 2007 and up are servo free abs brakes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
But when it is good, it is very good.

Reactions: Corkboy

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't believe how fast the bike is but today I had to park on a steeo hill. I planned ahead in case the brakes didn't work.
I don't get it. How does parking on a steep hill prevent brakes (of any kind) from working? Why would warming up the bike have any effect on the brakes? Why would you have to plan for this?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
The abs in question if your aiming down hill (or up) will not let you start the bike with the brakes on. Makes for some interesting entertainment. A buddy on a RT was on a steep down to a ferry in Canada, he had nothing good to say.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The abs in question if your aiming down hill (or up) will not let you start the bike with the brakes on. Makes for some interesting entertainment. A buddy on a RT was on a steep down to a ferry in Canada, he had nothing good to say.
Interesting - I didn't know that. I don't think I ever had to park on a hill with a bike equipped with servo brakes. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That’s just crazy. Probably don’t see many servo brake bikes in San Francisco then! 😂

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess the thing with servo brakes is that when engaged, the ABS is pumping and the drain on the battery might not leave enough amps to reliably use the starter. So rather than open that can of worms, BMW must have decided to just cut out the starter circuit when the brake module is pumping.

As an aside, I recently sold my R1150RS, which has partially integrated servo brakes. Honestly, I think the servo brakes and 250 mile cruising range were the best things about that bike. I still have a R1250RT, with fully integrated servo brakes, and I think they're super. I can't say that I miss not having them on my K13S, but I wouldn't mind having them if that's what BMW had chosen to install.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought a second one, a 2011 red and black, nerve racking buying a bike from across 1000 miles but it is a good one. K bikes rule. For me so comfortable and quick, well fast. The S bike is quick. The shipping company came at 1840 hrs. as promised and this was dropped off. V-Twin Express shipped it to me. Worked no problem. The subcontractor with Demetri as driver was a really good guy. Not a moto enthusiast but tied it down properly in his trailer. I walked it out and was glad it was home. Bike as promised by Harrington motorsports in Sandy Utah is as described. All good people. This photo I just rolled it into the shop. Very pleased. These bikes are special and there are no more being made. Think about that if you want one. Just to let you know you can buy one from across long distances. Yeah, that is a 2.5 ton lathe in the back ground. Hendey, you need power to make cannons. And a very precision mill from Austria, Emco for the small stuff.

View attachment 29831
Congratulations on the new purchase. Beautiful color! I see K1300S bikes come on the market around here (I also live outside Seattle) now and again. Might just have to take a closer look next time I see one. I do love my K1200S though.

Bone

·
Registered
520 Posts
I never thought about this, but it makes sense. If you start the bike while squeezing one of the levers, the brakes will get angry. Hah. I guess start it on the kickstand first.

Reactions: Corkboy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I definitely love my K1300S (2011) - there isn't a bike out there I would take in trade, old or new. I love the looks, the feel, the power - nothing comes close. I do like the looks of the red/white/blue S1000XR and the M1000RR, but when you sit on them and look down, its a wide ass looking tank on both. I also hate regular handle bars now, they look like you're riding a bicycle. As far as new technology, the only thing I wish it had is a true cruise control, instead of my Wunderlich.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Here is some information from BMW in 2009 about the newer K1300S bikes. Sorry for the format I can't figure out how to make a single PDF file out of several pages. Each page is a photo, I believe you can print them separately.
Font Paper Paper product Parallel Document
Font Parallel Diagram Line art Drawing
Font Newspaper Paper Motor vehicle Parallel
Organism Font Art Parallel Pattern
Font Parallel Circle Paper Paper product
Font Pattern Art Painting Drawing
Font Paper Circle Line art Parallel

This last one, I remove the dog bone and the triangular link plate then clean and lube all the needle bearings.
I ran across this in my files and thought it was good enough to share. Can't find it on the internet. I believe I got it from the K bike forum who's name can't be said any more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ran across this in my files and thought it was good enough to share. Can't find it on the internet. I believe I got it from the K bike forum who's name can't be said any more.
Voldemort has a K13000S? Cool!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've owned dozens of motorcycles over 35+ years of riding. All the Japanese brands, several Italian maidens, and even and English brand (hey, nobodys perfect). My 2013 K1300S Anniversery edition is my most prized road bike. I scooped it up in factory original condition with just 7000 miles on the clock. BMW swapped out the switch controls on recall and it's due for the fuel pump swap but my local dealer will let me just bring in the tank for the recall. Nobody wrenches on this bike but me.

I bought this bike in response to my ownership of a 2008 K1200S that was not well cared for before I took possession. I've spent countless hours restoring it to good working order and have had a love affair caring for. So much so that I've elected to keep it and appreciate it for all that it is. Above 70 mph it's hard to tell the difference between the two bikes.

These bikes are lasers of self transportation. The long wheel base and adept handling allow one to put themselves wherever they want to be. On a nice curvy back country road, the bike becomes one with the rider allowing one to fully immerse themselves in the pure joy of the ride, with all the sights and sounds any Motorsports enthusiast could appreciate.

These are forever bikes, ones that my grandchildren will witness as a zenith of simplicity in execution. My K16GT has more technology and my R1200GSA has more versatility but nothing can match the cool blend of exhilarating and sophistication delivered by the K1300S.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts