BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh so true. I love this bike so much I just bought a second one to have a pair. I totally agree, people will start realizing what a prize it is. Problem though BMW dealers are starting to not work on older bikes. Then there will be parts so stock up on stuff if you love your bike. I'd buy a third but the wife would have me committed. (not really, everytime we do the bills she says hey, no bike payment, go buy something.) Here is the list of work done by Recardo engineering in the UK to move from the K12 to the K13. In a way I love the simplicity of the K13S as opposed to the new stuff with keyless ignition, and other things. Coming soon is auto speed regulation and other nanny items. We are at the tail end of the gas engine world and I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride all these great machines for the last 60 years. Now I have two K13S bikes and it's wonderful.
Interesting to read exactly how the ESA "spring rate" adjustment works.

Strange that they didn't mention the valve timing changes - one of the main things Ricardo did. K1200 had 268 degree duration on both inlet and exhaust; while the GT had 244 degrees on both. Ricardo went for 268 inlet and 256 exhaust on both. I guess they worked out that 268 wasn't needed for the exhaust, even on the S, and that the GT would produce a power curve that matched that needed (i.e. steeply increasing wind resistance of the big fairng) best with the longer duration inlet (and that 256 degrees would be needed to clear the extra capacity in time at high revs, given the more resrictive exhaust/cat).

·
Registered
71 Posts
The author said, at the time this article was written (2018): "the whole Sport Touring segment has retracted and Adventure has been the growth segment."

Well, it looks like things have changed since 2018. Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha appear to have dived right into the sport touring market that BMW vacated. Do they know something that BMW doesn't? Could it be that they got tired of trying to compete with the GS? Or does their research show that half the people who buy adventure bikes never leave the paved roads? The prediction of K1300S value appreciation just might come true.
Agree and saw this coming. Been looking at all sorts of bikes but what I really want is a lighter version of the K1300s

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see a lot of great reviews and some not so much! it’s all in the attitude of the owner and the maintenance of the owner imo.
( some are constant complainers and everything is inadequate) who knows. But there are some unreliable ones out there I just haven’t experienced that in 15 years of it’s production and personal ownership.
The bike was a new concept and first venture for Bmw to build a motorcycle that’s very powerful and fast, with that said don’t expect it to be something it isn‘t, if your looking for old faithful then get a RT or LT, but the K1200S offers a lot of reward to the rider in its capabilities where other bikes don’t. It’s about give and take! That feeling when your rolling on the throttle above 7k rpm on a K12s can’t be matched on a more reliable RT Or equivalent.
Either love it or leave it is the best solution that I have. I’m currently the happy owner of two k1200s and a K1300s and all have been reliable and relatively trouble free. My stable is full.
I’m for the return of the happy ownership stories in forums as well as all the others.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's uncanny.

In 6th at 70mph, the bike pulls hard. At 120mph in 6th, the bike pulls harder. What exactly is wind resistance?

wHy are there speed limits?!

Reactions: Seeeu911
41 - 44 of 44 Posts