BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have an EEG (Evil Electrical Gremlin) haunting my ride. It started with dimming headlights after several hours of riding, then the turn signals became intermittent. Then, after several hours of riding, it would not start intermittently. I know what you're thinking...BATTERY! But, I don't think that's the problem. It's not that it had a weak start, it just plain wouldn't start, zip, nada, nothing. I thought it was one of BMWs many switches to thwart its riders. I turned the ignition on, then off, then moved the kickstand, changed gears, did a rain dance, everything, and, yes, checked the kill switch. Then, out of nowhere, it would start up without a hesitation.

On my last ride (this weekend), the bike would not turn off, meaning after turning the key off and removing it from the ignition, the lights stayed on and on and on and on. I had an emergency repair (to be posted later) to get me through the ride and home.

Any ideas? Have any other GTs done this?

I think this weekend's problem is the result of a stuck relay (EEG #1). But, I think I've got more than one EEG. EEG #2: I think it may be as simple as a loose connection for the wacky turn signals/dimming headlight/intermittent starting. The reason being, it always runs perfectly during the first part of the ride. It only becomes problematic after riding for several hours. I wonder if a loose connection is causing heat buildup at the location which could result in decreased or intermittent conductivity. :confused: It was mentioned, that these bikes have bad ground wires. Could that be the problem? And, is this something I should try to fix myself, or should I just cave and take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If it's still under warranty, I would let the dealer worry about it.
Otherwise start checking electrical connections, starting at the battery.

Oh, and what is the date of manufacture of the bike? Batteries have been known to do strange things.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You might want to check the wiring going to the headlamp, it is notorious for being a bit weak. Could be shorting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I thought about the headlight wiring, but, since the turn signals get wacky and intermittent, too, I'm guessing it's something more systemic. Unfortunately, I've not the knowledge about 2005 K1200GT wiring or computer systems. I tried finding a Haynes manual (which have great color schematics, btw), but, alas and alack, I have not found one for my model year. I did wire up an Autocomm a while back. I wired it according to the specs, used the taillight, on/off, etc. I wonder if that altered the voltage causing the bike's computer to get jealous? :boom:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Whaky lights are caused more than likly by a bad ground...start at batt main gnd .....when you say bike wont start ...are you saying it wont crank?...or crank but no fire?....thinking your bike is an 04?.....or is it a Canadian bike 05.....or a new gen GT...

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
GT's from 2003-2005 should be about the same wiring-wise. Either the Haynes or Climers should be sufficient, and it beats searching through Europe (U.K. essentially) for a manual for those areas that got the 2005. The 2005 may have the BC button installed. 2005 models weren't sold in the U.S. but were available in Canada. When did things start going "haywire" in respect to what you did just before? Washed the bike with a pressure washer? It's happened.

Kickstand switch may or may not interrupt the lights...I don't know. Just tossing out the pressure-wash and kickstand switch as a potential issue. I don't think the kill switch affects the lights.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
91 Posts
side stand switch on my '04 was the problem

My bike started having intermittent problems...loss of headlights, bike starting when you pull in the clutch, no power brake assist. It came down to a faulty side stand switch. Perhaps a source of your problem?

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Hmmmm

If the bike was fine until you installed the Autocom then that is where you should start looking. Uninstall the Autocom then see if the problem persists. If your bike returns to normal then it was something with the Autocom hook-up. Process of elimination.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Found anything yet?

Just wondered what you found out about your gremlin. I did have a Volkswagen Quantum that would keep running when turned off and other switches did strange things as a battery went bad.

Stephen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably your starter

I have a '04, with the exact same problem. Two dealers looked at it and both came to the same conclusion. Part of a winding problem which causes a flat spot that is why it starts some times doesn't at other times, also effects lights and turn signals. It will be about a $1,000.00 to fix with rebuilt starter. My bike has 23k on it when this happened on a rode trip to Nova Scotia. Very frustrating that this would happen with so few miles, they say very rare. HOPE THIS HELPS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a very similar problem on my 04 GT. Intermittently the cruse, turn signals, head light, etc would not work. When these were in fail mode, it would never turn over when trying to start it. I was on a trip, so if the GT was in fail mode I would have my buddy give a little push to get the GT started. It would start with a push very easily. When I got home (a week later) I took it in for warranty repair. They replaced the starter and starter replay. I now have 40K miles on it and the problem has not reoccurred.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Pawprint,

Just wondering if you solved your EEG (Evil Electrical Gremlin). I have a very similar problem with my K12RS '03.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was wondering when a fault like this would turn up here! I also had a similar problem several years ago on my 02 KRS. Indicators would not work, Would not start, headlight flickered after starting [eventually] Problem got worse and worse until finally she wouldn't start at all. I took the plugs out for several days, put them back in and she finally started. Spoke to a mechanic [whom I trust] who said sometimes the ECU gets muddled and suggested that once the bike is running, to take it out on a long stretch, and give it 8 to 9 thousand revs in as many gears as you can!!! Sounds like a backyard fix, but it worked! Fixed everything immediately. The gremlin simply disappeared instantly. While I don't ever thrash the bike, I sometimes run my revs up high as an insurance policy against gremlins in the ECU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts