BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to the Seattle dealer yesterday, Ride West, as they were the starting point for a planned ride. Lots of riders with a big mix of bikes to include side cars. Anyway, I got my stuff and as I get on my GT a couple of guys parked next come over to ask about the GT. Got all the usual blah, blah, and did I try the blah brand and how about the other blah brand. You know the conversation. They were both amazed at how BMW will actually let them ride a demo, really ride it, like for hours at a time. Then, how about that ESA, yeah, it really does work, it went on like this for some time. Both of these guys were looking for new bikes and BMW has really come up on their radar. Closing question was how many miles I have on my GT, tell them just over 9K. The questioner was astonished, didn't that bike just come out? His comment to his buddy was these beemer riders sure put on the miles. I just smiled and didn't bother to tell about you guys that really ride. He wouldn't believe it. ;)

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
The engine and suspension and test rides may be generating some buzz, but I gotta believe
that the huge difference in price will ultimately keep most of the Japanese riders firmly in their own camp.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I've found as riders get more serious about their riding (i.e., touring), they tend to make transitions that steer them toward BMW. The introduction of the slant4 series bikes has made that transition much earlier in life than before. I've seen more younger buyers at the shop since the slant4 arrived a couple years ago.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not a "younger rider" but I left the Japanese inline fours behind once BMW brought out the K1200S. These are our first BMW's and we hope to ride them for years and years.

I have a Triumph Sprint ST for sale and the reason folks say that they don't want to buy it is the "high mileage".

It's an '03 with 22,600 miles. I can't figure out why anybody would be interested in a bike like the ST and not know that YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO RIDE IT!

We got our His and Hers K12's in May and I'm ashamed to say that we only have 4000 miles on them. However, we did not take a vacation this year... only weekend trips here and there and some after-work riding.

Look out next year baby... two weeks to spend touring western Canada!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Years ago I sat next to a guy on the plane from Providence, RI to Chicago, IL. He owned a Harley. It was 2 years old and had less than 4,000 miles on it. The owner stated that he did not want to put miles on his Harley because it would adversely effect the value.

I've had friends ask me about "high" mileage BMW's. They were Harley riders inquiring about a certain BMW with 17,000+ on it.

My expreience with Harleys and Harley owners is any Harley with over 10,000 miles is a high mileage bike.

What I am trying to say is that people's perception of what constitutes a high mileage motorcycle depends on their experience.

·
Registered
51 Posts
High mileage?

How does 57,000 + on a 99 K12RS sound? That is what mine has.. no problems.. :rotf: will still go at least twice the speed limit.. errrr.. so I have been told :::::cough::::: :hypocrite My first BMW :D after several UJMs and I don't think I will ever look back. :ricky

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently made the transition.

Was lent a brand new GT to participate in a dealer sponsored shop ride. That floored me!

I finally made the leap at the end of July and rode over 13,000 miles in the next 3 months.

I can't say that I disliked my japanese motorcycle, but BMW seems to be more in touch with what certain motorcyclists desire. They offer options not available on similar jap. motorcycles. The ability to buy a complete package left no other option in this class. On a reliability note, the current problems that some riders have reported with the S & GT, are also starting to appear in Kawasaki's new flagship. I'm happy with my GT, as my wife can now ride with me comfortably. I'll never blindly subscribe to a marque, and if BMW falls behind it's competitors, I will have no problem not riding a BMW.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
eljeffe said:
I've found as riders get more serious about their riding (i.e., touring), they tend to make transitions that steer them toward BMW. The introduction of the slant4 series bikes has made that transition much earlier in life than before. I've seen more younger buyers at the shop since the slant4 arrived a couple years ago.
i don't know if i qualify as young, but i bought my bike for my 33rd birthday. i remember when i was younger, most bmw riders were much older. the new k-bike definately brought me over bmw. i could get the performance/comfort compromise along with the bmw reliability. i sold my last sport bike last year because of comfort and i tended to ride the bmw more.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
jklotz said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a UJM?
It stands for Universal Japanese Motorcycle, a term coined in the 80's
to denote a one size fits all kinda thing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Larry5469 said:
How does 57,000 + on a 99 K12RS sound? That is what mine has.. no problems.. :rotf: will still go at least twice the speed limit.. errrr.. so I have been told :::::cough::::: :hypocrite My first BMW :D after several UJMs and I don't think I will ever look back. :ricky
i had 44K on my 2003 KRS before i traded for my 2006 KS which i now have 21K on, very few riders that i have encountered have anywhere near the mileage i put on my BMW. most HD riders i know spend more time polishing their bikes than riding them and when they do ride them it's local. a friend of mine had a 1999 yamaha with less than 1000 miles on it when i bought my 2002 r1150r.

·
Registered
289 Posts
shook sez said:
It stands for Universal Japanese Motorcycle, a term coined in the 80's
to denote a one size fits all kinda thing.
I pretty much grew up on UJMs in the 70s and am a believer. I still have one in the garage that I plan to keep for a very long time.

But, my K1200r simply takes the concept to a whole new level. I've often said this is the bike Honda would be building if Soichiro Honda was still alive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts