BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The guy that did it is older than me. Unbelievable!
I could understand this, don't you Rick...:p , the perfect bike and color, even the age match me, exactly on the dot.
But to be honest, if he had got my 'checkered', the bike would have hit 179.999 easily :) :p ;) :D :cool:

·
There's a pill for everything
829 Posts
The guy that did it is older than me. Unbelievable!

Like I have always said

Prostate grey!!!!!!!!

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Miles_Miller said:
Please; can we see a picture of Erin Hunter?
Back row from left to right are Katie Young-Cortez, Erin Hunter,
Andy Sills, Jack Costella, Bob Lindstrom, Paul Stivers, Peter Belich,
in the front row are Benn Karne and Steve Davy

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOCUS said:
But to be honest, if he had got my 'checkered', the bike would have hit 179.999 easily :) :p ;) :D :cool:
Weren't you clocked on the Autobahn at 180.000??

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
The article indicates that the bike set the record in the following class:

"the 1000 - 1350 cc stock, partially streamlined, naturally aspirated motorcycle class"

Is this the same class a Hayabusa or ZX12 would run in? If so, I thought everyone always said that these bikes had greater top end speed.

So what gives?

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hdf said:
Is this the same class a Hayabusa or ZX12 would run in? If so, I thought everyone always said that these bikes had greater top end speed.
So what gives?
This is a quote taken from username "MadDuck" on the BMW Sport Touring Forum.

MadDuck said:
The record is an FIM record. SCTA records for the class the k1200s is in are over 200 mph, hayabusa. There are three LSR setting bodies. The international body is the FIM. The fast records at Bonneville are all SCTA records. The sanctioning bodies for what is normally thought of as "Bonneville" records are the SCTA and USFRA. Two years ago BUBs started a new event with prize money to establish AMA records at Bonneville. So in any given class there are three records which can be set at "Bonneville". FIM rule are different from SCTA and AMA. Cost is considerably higher for an FIM record. SCTA records are significantly faster and much more dilligently defended, faster is better.
But... Prostate Grey is still the fastest color. :cool:

FIM = Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme

SCTA = Southern California Timing Assoc.

USFRA = Utah Salt Flats Racing Assoc.

AMA by BUB = American Motorcyclist Assoc. and FIM sanctioned

·
Registered
910 Posts
rickd said:
Back row from left to right are Katie Young-Cortez, Erin Hunter,
Andy Sills, Jack Costella, Bob Lindstrom, Paul Stivers, Peter Belich,
in the front row are Benn Karne and Steve Davy

Rick,

Thanks for the follow-up picture - as requested. Have to say, I was pretty much kidding thinking about who (especially a woman) would agree to a pillion 169 mph ride! I can see from the picture that she is a perfectly normal, and attractive, young lady.

And thanks in general for this interesting thread. It sure validates the K-S as a top-speed sporting machne; just as I've validated the K-S as as the top rated "sport-touring" machine as it competes with the Japanese hyper-sports in that area.

Miles

·
Registered
505 Posts
176.789 mph... that's faster than a Crown Victoria isn't it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
hdf said:
The article indicates that the bike set the record in the following class:

"the 1000 - 1350 cc stock, partially streamlined, naturally aspirated motorcycle class"

So what gives?
I'm sure that the Hayabusa and the ZX12R could best that top speed. But as someone stated in an earlier post, there must be some sort of barrier to admission. I'm sure it must cost a good amount of money and paperwork to run in one these WLSR events. BMW riders usually don't have a problem putting their money where their mouth is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts