BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I’m looking to purchase a BMWK 1300 R I’ve been chatting to the man is selling it I’ve had a test ride of it yesterday.
when I test rode it I was surprised by how noisy the clutch basket was.
It also had the usual issues associated with the clutch.
Hard to get into Neutral,
Noisy on idle,
A little clunky shifting,
Clutch lever actuation close to bar,
Has anyone ever had a clutch rebuilt by John Sykes and if so how much did it cost and how long will it last for?

Just considering this prior to purchase as everything else about the bike was perfect!

is the noisy clutch chatter a definite readon to walk away from a purchase? Or is it easy to live with, will it cause serious damage if left untreated or are some folks chasing the solution as it’s an annoying fault that needs a fix and should have been fixedby manufacturer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Lawtome. Ive had the clutch on my k12R rebuilt by john sykes and I’ll sing his praises’til the cows come home😁. Cost including freight to australia was less than half the cost of a bmw replacement. Can find neutral anytime. Can feather the clutch and change smoothly. Is the clutch enough reason to walk away? I did 100k km before mine was done and john said i was about to lose drive from clutch plate wear. You can live with but after getting the clutch fixed i wished I’d done it sooner. I love the k12. It is the only bike that I’ve not replaced with the later model. The k13 is more refined and a lot of the k12 issues were resolved. Those clutch issues you spoke of should not be there but if you can negotiate the price accordingly and the bike has a good service history then john sykes is your man

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Capt..
its a very affordable bike and the price reflects the clutch too, so easily a budget there to accomodate a clutch rebuild if around £300-400
I’ve preemptively emailed John Sykes to ask about a clutch rebuild cost but heard nothing….

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks Capt..
its a very affordable bike and the price reflects the clutch too, so easily a budget there to accomodate a clutch rebuild if around £300-400
I’ve preemptively emailed John Sykes to ask about a clutch rebuild cost but heard nothing….
Not surprised 😁. He’s slow/busy but he will respond

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s good to hear.
In all seriousness from what I’ve read people that do the kind of passionate problem solving engineering like John does on these clutches for the Ks and the suzuki Vs are so valuable.
I was starting to get a bit worried that he might have retired, or was unwell.
I’ll wait and see if he gets back in touch.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
That’s good to hear.
In all seriousness from what I’ve read people that do the kind of passionate problem solving engineering like John does on these clutches for the Ks and the suzuki Vs are so valuable.
I was starting to get a bit worried that he might have retired, or was unwell.
I’ll wait and see if he gets back in touch.
Very interested in your findings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interested in your findings.
What kind of findings?
my comment is based on the research I’ve done over the past weeks, months and the fact that I can’t find a single place that does custom modified bmw k clutches that work better than stock.
All the feedback I’ve read in regard to John has been 100% positive experiences.

i guess that’s my findings really 😉

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve owned a few k1200s and my first was the first year production 2005, during my 55k miles of riding it the clutch and its unique noises it just became a normal sound for me! similar to a Ducati dry clutch unique sound.
You rarely hear it riding with ear plugs and helmet on anyway! except when idling without helmet on after a ride.
It for me became a non factor and never interfered with the shifting or performance.
However if there is a reasonable priced fix by this John Sykes repairman I would think it’s well worth doing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
John Sykes rebuilt my clutch pack (K1200R Sport) and it sooo much better!! Have patience in the communication and turn-around as his work is (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Lawtome

·
Registered
2007 K1200 GT K44
4 Posts
I emailed John twice, about 6 weeks ago. I still haven't heard from him. I'm not convinced he's still in business.
I finally got John Sykes on the phone Sat just gone regarding the clutch on my 2007 K1200GT and he told me of all the mods that he does, I asked if he was still doing repairs and it seems he is cutting back due to the amount of repairs he is getting and does not have time to himself. This is not to say he has stopped.
After looking at my stripped clutch basket i thought it beyond repair and have purchased a K1300 basket, oil pump sprocket and k1300 thrust adaptor.
Ps it took me 3 weeks of repeated calls before I got John on the phone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah! I'm kind of banking on him doing mine now as I have just bought the bike with a clutch rebuild from him being my no1 thing to do as soon as I collect the bike!
I was waiting to hear from him, but just assumed he would be late getting back to me.
Really hope I can book in with him!
If he's busy then he needs some staff...?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I finally got John Sykes on the phone Sat just gone regarding the clutch on my 2007 K1200GT and he told me of all the mods that he does, I asked if he was still doing repairs and it seems he is cutting back due to the amount of repairs he is getting and does not have time to himself. This is not to say he has stopped.
After looking at my stripped clutch basket i thought it beyond repair and have purchased a K1300 basket, oil pump sprocket and k1300 thrust adaptor.
Ps it took me 3 weeks of repeated calls before I got John on the phone.
Thanks for sharing, I was getting worried COVID might have done John in. In any case, I think I'll also go with a K1300 clutch basket assembly and then do some optimization based on YouTube videos. I'd love to work with John but that doesn't seem practical, especially from the US.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update...

Still no joy getting John on the phone.
Emailed a couple of times but nothing at all so far.
Will keep trying but I absolutely hate ringing and ringing and ringing people!

Love the bike by the way!
It sounds like a jet turbine when cranking it up to high speeds.
Ridiculous to ride in slow traffic at the moo though as the clutch is just making things difficult in 1st and 2nd gears filtering through traffic etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still not managed to get hold of john sykes.
Starting to think i may look at fixing my own clutch basket.
ive been googling like mad and am yet to find where i can source some replacement clutch springs. Anyone know what size, and type they are?
i can get the tapered rivets and will be able to buy replacement plates and dimpled steels.
Just could do with a hand on the spring side of things.

·
Registered
2007 K12R
110 Posts
How can u remove the tapered rivet without drilling it out? If you drill, you’ll need to tap threads and use bolts, which is what it seems most do who go this far into the clutch assembly. Fried chicken and Mattias have been discussing this work and spring types and suppliers in a different recent thread. Use the search. Good luck with yours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts