BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so I’m looking to purchase a BMWK 1300 R I’ve been chatting to the man is selling it I’ve had a test ride of it yesterday.
when I test rode it I was surprised by how noisy the clutch basket was.
It also had the usual issues associated with the clutch.
Hard to get into Neutral,
Noisy on idle,
A little clunky shifting,
Clutch lever actuation close to bar,
Has anyone ever had a clutch rebuilt by John Sykes and if so how much did it cost and how long will it last for?

Just considering this prior to purchase as everything else about the bike was perfect!

is the noisy clutch chatter a definite readon to walk away from a purchase? Or is it easy to live with, will it cause serious damage if left untreated or are some folks chasing the solution as it’s an annoying fault that needs a fix and should have been fixedby manufacturer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Capt..
its a very affordable bike and the price reflects the clutch too, so easily a budget there to accomodate a clutch rebuild if around £300-400
I’ve preemptively emailed John Sykes to ask about a clutch rebuild cost but heard nothing….

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s good to hear.
In all seriousness from what I’ve read people that do the kind of passionate problem solving engineering like John does on these clutches for the Ks and the suzuki Vs are so valuable.
I was starting to get a bit worried that he might have retired, or was unwell.
I’ll wait and see if he gets back in touch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very interested in your findings.
What kind of findings?
my comment is based on the research I’ve done over the past weeks, months and the fact that I can’t find a single place that does custom modified bmw k clutches that work better than stock.
All the feedback I’ve read in regard to John has been 100% positive experiences.

i guess that’s my findings really 😉

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah! I'm kind of banking on him doing mine now as I have just bought the bike with a clutch rebuild from him being my no1 thing to do as soon as I collect the bike!
I was waiting to hear from him, but just assumed he would be late getting back to me.
Really hope I can book in with him!
If he's busy then he needs some staff...?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update...

Still no joy getting John on the phone.
Emailed a couple of times but nothing at all so far.
Will keep trying but I absolutely hate ringing and ringing and ringing people!

Love the bike by the way!
It sounds like a jet turbine when cranking it up to high speeds.
Ridiculous to ride in slow traffic at the moo though as the clutch is just making things difficult in 1st and 2nd gears filtering through traffic etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still not managed to get hold of john sykes.
Starting to think i may look at fixing my own clutch basket.
ive been googling like mad and am yet to find where i can source some replacement clutch springs. Anyone know what size, and type they are?
i can get the tapered rivets and will be able to buy replacement plates and dimpled steels.
Just could do with a hand on the spring side of things.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks.
i have searched like crazy already. I’ll look specifically at their posts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Neal.
Those videos are perfect.

And i found the thread that was mentioned earlier where fried chicken and mattias were discussing with others the method for diy clutch mods…which is this one…

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
So, I'm planning my Clutch removal and renovation.
I've purchased springs, clutch plates, steels, gasket etc..

Wondered does anyone have one of these locating pin (top dead center locking pin) that I can borrow?

Can't seem to find one in the UK??

I can order it from KFM.com but it's about £90 and will take 4-5 weeks to arrive.
MAX BMW are not delivering to UK addreses.

BMW Motorcycle Parts | Catalog Parts Online | MAX BMW Motorcycles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’ll try and cut a long story short....

Gearbox went belly up on my K1200 Sport, went and bought an 11000 mile K1300 engine for the gearbox.

I have two mates who run a small motorcycle repair business and they stripped the bike and engine, the 1300 clutch doesn’t fit their to many teeth on the sprocket/wheel at the back so the chain will not go on,they fitted the OE clutch and it works fine.

Just phoned them up(I see them every day) asking if they had to buy a pin and they said no made one up.
Not sure I'd know how to make one to be honest?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts