BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my understanding that there are two BMW motorcycle dealers in Victoria, Moto One and Southbank BMW.

Which is the better of the two as a dealership, especially with regards to servicing?

Looking at getting a nice yellow K1200R (failing that, buying a black one and getting some of the panels sprayed burnt orange)...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Motorcycle dealers

Saba I usually deal with Southbank as they had better trade in prices in the past.Also they are easier to get to for me (live in Horsham).Servicing has always been good and Daniele on the service desk is always good to talk to!They have a good range of bikes and extras but you probably already know that.Hope this helps Andrew

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bmw

And they will make you understand that BMW means bring your wallet. Almost $900 for a service, after I had done the lubes and plugs myself. Ringwood for me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Melbourne servicing

Must agree with Papilo,they are not cheap !As I will find out this Friday, K1200S in for 10,000 km service!But then I burn a back tyre every 4,000 km? cheers Andrew

·
Registered
331 Posts
My 10000km service (in WA) was about $145.00 with new brake pads and a new later model seat under warranty as well. Cheapest service I have ever had I think.

The only trouble is that the bike was faultless when it went in and had the high idle problem when it left. Nothing was touched that could have caused this but it was fine when I rode it in and it was not right when I rode it out. The next day after a 40k run on the Freeway it had the high idle problem, which still has not been fixed and BMW Australia still can't give me a date when the revised parts to fix it will be available, just like everyone else in the world. Version 9.2 software reduced the problem so the bike is at least ridable though.

I still love the bike, although it is spoiled by the high idle when riding in traffic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BreakMyWallet

Haven't had the need for servicing yet since I brought my bike over from the states...but man you guys are scaring me...I better start saving now for my next service.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
service

I spose the big thing is valve clearance, the shims. Apart from that I guess the clothes could stay on. Any dick can do the lubes, that leaves what? The filter, no problem there.

I point this out cos I was watching a guy build a motor for Honda Australia, he can do anything with a bike, plus he used to race. He claims that once the bike has done say 20000 and the shims have been reset, end of story. He argues that how to stuff a bike up is to neglect oil changes, he does his at 8000k. Last time I changed my plugs at 40000, might adopt the same policy with shims. My ride partner has his done once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howzit going?

Geez Bob, Its lucky I'm getting my services in WA as well.

My first service was just over $100. Hells teeth, $900, that can't be right.

I reckon I could get the bike transported from Karratha to Perth and back plus get serviced and still have some money left for a carton of cold ones for that much, hang on, make that several cartons.

Anyway, like to say Hi to you all, and nice to see some posts in this part of the site.

Rode my new KS back from Perth the other week :clap: , not many twisties in that trip.. hehehe.. But loved it all the same.. Wicked machine.

Take her easy and spot ya later

·
Registered
331 Posts
Jayce,

How long have you been in Karratha? Will be starting to get a bit warm soon and you will have to be pretty macho to ride in the heat. Not many road bikes of any sort so far north I would imagine, except in the cool season when a few guys ride up there for the challenge.

I ride all year round in Perth but we only get a few days over 40, compared with just about every day up there in the wet season.

Do you know of any other K's north of Perth? I have only ever seen one other K1200GT in Perth, apart from the couple for sale at Classics, and the odd K1200S around Perth. Also a few of the older K series.

I also saw a Kawasaki GTR1000 with Roebourne number plates riding down Tonkin Highway earlier in the year.

Anyway, have fun and make lots of money while in Karratha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heya Bob,

I' ve been up in Karratha for about 18 months this time around, its the second time I've been up here. The project I'm on now has about 18 months to run, I'm picking we'll be well over the place by then and keen to get back to some cooler temperatures.

I haven't seen a BMW up here, I think I'm the only one at the moment. Theres a few Triumph Rocket 3's around, but its mainly Harleys and Jap bikes. When I was fueling up in Geraldton on the way up, a guy was talking to me there about his friends K1200S & I heard theres a guy with a boxer in Wickham.

I'm hearing you about the heat, I've got mesh gear and airflow boots but once we get into summer its going to be a bit over the top I think. Went for a ride yesterday though, and it was quite pleasent but its starting to get hotter by the day.

I was actually tossing up between my bike and a GT in Classics but ended up going with the S. Both nice bikes though.

Well Bob, you take care mate and happy riding.

PS: The only reason you come to Karratha is to make money.. hehehe... mind you, winters quite nice, as in bearable..

·
Registered
331 Posts
Jayce,

You may have read my post on the GT part of the site about riding in 46 deg in Perth in March.

I found the GT great as there is enough protection with the windscreen up to stop the oven hot blast of wind but enough ventilation to get air through the Dri Rider jacket and helmet vents. I was actually cool because the sweat was evaporating nicely to cool me but not enough to dry out and roast or too little so that you just felt hot and sticky.

My BC thermometer was reading 47deg and it was 45 on my house thermometer when I got home but it was quite bearable on the GT. None of the heat issues that some of the US guys have complained about.

Work hard and make heaps of money but don't spend it all on booze or hospital bills by falling off.

Sorry to highjack the thread a little bit. Karratha is a long way from Melbourne but at least it is in Australia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts