BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating on the BMW MOTORRAD NAVIGATOR or the Garmin Zumo 550 for 6 months. The BMW dealer tells me that you just have to plug the unit right into a connector on the bike, and it's all done!

Can any one tell me where this mystery connecter is?

I have a 2007 K1200GT bike.

Of course I ended up getting the Garmin Zumo 550. I couldn't figured out why it was $300 more. I got mine from GPSCity.com for $651.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's bluetooth enabled, so if you have a bluetooth device in your helmut, you can listen to MP3 stored in your ZUMO, and here the directions, also you can link your cell phone (which has to have bluetooth) and it will display the incomming call on the ZUMO, and direct the audio to your hand free device. Cool stuff.

I need to find a hands frre device to put in my hemut now.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
JWPAGE said:
It's bluetooth enabled, so if you have a bluetooth device in your helmut, you can listen to MP3 stored in your ZUMO, and here the directions, also you can link your cell phone (which has to have bluetooth) and it will display the incomming call on the ZUMO, and direct the audio to your hand free device. Cool stuff.

I need to find a hands frre device to put in my hemut now.
I understand that. The limitations to BT in the helmet via good stereo sound and battery life have me using the Autocom Pro AV1. If you're doing thousand mile days and are on a multi day trip you are at the mercy of battery life and having to listen to shitty mono.

Using the Autocom with my Zumo with the satellite radio puck (or MP3), I have great stereo. Using the Autocom BT dongle, it pairs with my iPhone which also sends my phone book to the Zumo. I don't even know why I went that route. I reckon it's so I can laugh at the folks who call me since I don't answer the phone.

Anyway, with this setup, even though I have the cable going to the helmet, I never have to worry about batteries crapping out in the middle of a trip.

Check out the Autcom it's quite versatile. I'm sure someone will chime in with other alternatives.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wired up my Zumo using the BMW connector that is zip tied in front of the battery and info here and in the provided link. I use the delay off lead (#3)and will use the other for my autocomm once I feel like removing the tuperware.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
richr8 said:
Just wired up my Zumo using the BMW connector that is zip tied in front of the battery and info here and in the provided link. I use the delay off lead (#3)and will use the other for my autocomm once I feel like removing the tuperware.
Be aware that one wire off that lead, though it may show 12v, is a pulse. You can wire your Zumo, Autocom and radar detector directly off that plug as they hardly pull any amps.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have the zumo550 with a Nolan N-Com 102 helmet. While it is true that you can listen to the MP3 player via the Bluetooth the music is only Mono, unless you use the accordion style multimedia wire. I use the wire for the music, and GPS turn by turn directions, and the bluetooth handles the phone. Audio quality with this set up is great. I don't know why the BMW Zumo is so much more money, especially since it is not XM radio capable. Mine was wired by the dealer with the factory plug, and mount, but the power does not always turn off when the bike is turned off. Usually after the ignition is off a few seconds the zumo says lost external power would you like to continue on battery power. But on a couple of occasions I had to power the zumo off myself manually. what ever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy the zumo :) By the way the battery on the N-com helmet last forever before it goes dead. I made it from Long Island to St Anthony, Newfoundland on one charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power connector for an F 650GS (twin)

I've read other's experience (particularly Luc's really helpful article) about using a spare connector on the K series bikes to connect a Garmin GPS or other kit.

Does anyone know if there is a similar option on the F650GS? There is an unused connector zip tied to the frame at the back of the battery - just like the K series. But it appears to be electrically dead, possibly because it has to be "switched on" by a BMW dealer doing something to the Canbus system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Audio from the Zumo 550

I installed the Zumo and connected it to that accessory plug (which took some time to locate). No Autocom necessary though. I actually loaded a lot of MP3 music files on a 4GB SD card (which is the largest the Zumo will recognize) and I use Shure Noise-Isolating earphones (they plug into your ear) plugged into the audio output on the left side of the Zumo cradle for amazing-quality audio, GPS prompts and wind noise isolation. It works like a charm. In case you want to add a radar detector, get the MixIt2 amplifier from CycleGadgets (http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=MIXIT) which lets you plug in a bunch of audio inputs and can be hidden under the plastics... There is no need to overly complicate things...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts