BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW Navigator II stuck in cradle and this baby is not letting me back out the screw.
Any tips on getting the set screw to back out? There is resistence when turning but I could turn it all day without the screw moving up and allowing me to release the Navigator II.

·
Registered
68 Posts
03k12RS said:
BMW Navigator II stuck in cradle and this baby is not letting me back out the screw.
Any tips on getting the set screw to back out? There is resistence when turning but I could turn it all day without the screw moving up and allowing me to release the Navigator II.
i have never heard of that happening
have you tried to PULL UP ON THE LOCKING TAB WHILE UNSCREWING?

how tight did you make it?

good luck

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: BMW Navigator II stuck in cradle no more

Well, good news is that I got the Nav II out of the cradle, bad news is that the set screw did not work on release and is still holdling the release down. Didn't think I could but did flex the cradle to get the Nav II out, but did get it out.

Yes I was lifting on the release all the while trying to get it move up but no go.

Looks like I'll be looking to replace the cradle as the set screw is holding the release in down position.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just an idea. I had this happen to me once. Basically the tab was stuck and the screw had actually been fully unscrewed. I eventually just pulled as hard as I possible could on the tab and it released.
Joe

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That f*ckn POS cradle is lucky I didn't have a hammer close by ... just came up from garage and was practically lifting the front end off the ground. Sent an email to Garmin and will wait on their feedback. I'd put a torch to it if I thought it would help. My guess is that the damn screw is stripped and there is no way shy of drilling the SOB out. Maybe I should have waited to post, but this really ticks me off!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Joel,

I had a similar problem on my LT - using the little Torx screwdriver that came with the Nav II, I tried & tried to undo it - the screw was apparently just 'turning, but not undoing :wtf ' - when I got back to my garage, I used a different torx bit & ratchet, and the screw just came straight out. What was happening was the actual bit in the NavII tool was slipping in the chrome handle. If you don't have a suitable sized torx security bit, just turn the 'bit end' of the supplied tool with a leatherman

I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
03k12RS said:
That f*ckn POS cradle is lucky I didn't have a hammer close by ... just came up from garage and was practically lifting the front end off the ground. Sent an email to Garmin and will wait on their feedback. I'd put a torch to it if I thought it would help. My guess is that the damn screw is stripped and there is no way shy of drilling the SOB out. Maybe I should have waited to post, but this really ticks me off!

No doubt, it's HAMMER TIME!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I go to the local dealer and here is the scoop. Piece-of-crap torx driver that comes with the Nav II is what is spinning and not turning the screw.
Cheap part is the tool to lock and remove the Nav II from the cradle.

Thanks Wooley (Brian) was right on the money with his answer. Time for new torx 10 bit.:bowdown

·
Registered
68 Posts
03k12RS said:
Piece-of-crap torx driver that comes with the Nav II is what is spinning and not turning the screw.
Cheap part is the tool to lock and remove the Nav II from the cradle.
wow....
that is weird
glad you got it figured out, though

thanks for giving us this follow-up

·
Registered
2 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
wow....
that is weird
glad you got it figured out, though

thanks for giving us this follow-up