BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done a course at the BMW Offroad Academy? In Southern California, specifically. They do a weekend class on riding big bikes offroad and there's also a hosted ride through the Mojave. Considering doing something like this in the spring, I've done a lot of road riding and touring and I'd like to try more offroad and this seems like a fairly easy way to stick a toe in the water. Opinions?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Razel said:
Southern California or South Carolina?
The one I'm talking about is in California. I'd thought about the South Carolina school before, but somehow I can't see flying out there to take the class, a coworker pointed me to the California class, and we could ride down for it.

Has anyone taken the GS class in South Carolina? Presumably this one is set up the same way...

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
that must be the real fun - I did BMW 2-day basic course in their facility in Germany past September and enjoyed it. To ride R1200GS is a bit strange after KGT but great fun. In general - offroad riding is different kind of adventure. I believe the structure of the course is the same as in Germany. Go for it - you will love it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
BFB
I have heard good things about the off road experience with Jim? Don't recall his last name. The location is Castaic, Ca. which is about 40 miles north of L.A. off of I-5.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RawHyde off road academy

Well, last weekend I had the pleasure of attending Jim Hyde's off road academy and 2 day base camp alpha tour, on their G650X. It was great! I'm jonesing for a F800GS now. I'll create a new thread with a full writeup and pics and explain why not the G650X or R1200GS there. FWIW I'm really glad I took my K1200GT there and back too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ive just booked in to do the 2 day course here in Australia.
Its not until July and they only do 12 riders per course so Im looking forward to learning how to exit a corner on the GSA sideways spraying gravel off the back tyre!
Just Kidding.......... no Im not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Dad,

Any feedback on the offroad course you tooked?

I wonder if they do that here...must have a look.

Cheers,

Bloke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts