BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
interesting.

something doesn't sounds right.
wheel bearings and link lever don't fit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
OOH here we go again :confused: Any word on the K12 R Sport - It was left off for some reason.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
To me it sounds like the recall done overseas on these bikes for what you just said.

Corrosion of the rear lower suspension link.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Well, that is certainly clear as mud as to what they are talking about. Wonder if it is that little link on the lower rear shock that was beefed up as some were breaking overseas? :confused:

Maybe the ball bearing pivots in the final drive to the swing arm (or what BMW calls "Rear Wheel Fork") ? :confused:

Mack

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm heading for long beach BMW in the morning. My ABS went out after a day of heavy rain here in socal this week. I just got back from MI on it too, having the engine repaired there from the trip I took up in June (when the cam chain did its thingy).

They usually tell me about service updates/recalls, etc, I'll ask if they don't...

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 06 K12R is <still> in the shop awaiting delivery of a fresh transmission from Germany, I dropped by and asked them about it. A few clicks on the computer later and they didn't see any "active campaigns" regarding this. I was the first to make them aware of it, so BMWNA hasn't given them any additional info as of yet. They are going to research and look into it for me and also inspect my linkage while it's on the lift before I pick it up HOPEFULLY next week.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ldbikin said:
I'm heading for long beach BMW in the morning. My ABS went out after a day of heavy rain here in socal this week. I just got back from MI on it too, having the engine repaired there from the trip I took up in June (when the cam chain did its thingy).

They usually tell me about service updates/recalls, etc, I'll ask if they don't...
I bet that they haven't heard anything yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey,I bought my 04 KGT from a Vancouver dealer new in 2004 and have passed this info to them.Let's see if I hear anything from BMW NA or the dealer!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Years listed and models dont add up example (04 K1300 S)?....unless bearings used were universal...but then again why not the RS...

·
Registered
749 Posts
The recall letter in the OP is all wrong. This has nothing to do with wheel bearings, and they screwed up the years and models pretty good as well. It's a recall regarding what we have all refereed to as the dog bone link for the rear suspension. The needle bearings at each end of the dog bone are taking in water and corroding casing the dog bone to break, and the rear suspension then collapses. Interesting they put out a recall, but have no remedy. It's part #5 in the diagram

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
The recall letter in the OP is all wrong. This has nothing to do with wheel bearings, and they screwed up the years and models pretty good as well. It's a recall regarding what we have all refereed to as the dog bone link for the rear suspension. The needle bearings at each end of the dog bone are taking in water and corroding casing the dog bone to break, and the rear suspension then collapses. Interesting they put out a recall, but have no remedy. It's part #5 in the diagram
That part number 5 is what I was thinking of as well. Their remedy may be the standard Mercedes-Benz recall treatment of "A good dousing of WD-40 to said part." :D

Sort of like taping down the floor mat in the Prius. :rolleyes: Cheaper way out, or they'll blame it on some USA crappy fuel issue.

Mack

·
Registered
288 Posts
GMAck - that'll be the next recall - did ya save your gas receipts - because BMW will be asking for proof next :rotf:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just take it apart, grease the needle bearings and put it back together. 30 minutes and a couple of tools, all-season peace of mind.

pg
DD

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I see the link has been updated and corrected:

BMW K bike recall program.

Now it says "Rear Suspension" and mentions that "Link," probably #5 in the above mentioned photo.

I contacted my dealer and see what they say. Might be a check, lube, and go.

Haven't checked yet, but does rear wheel come off to remove said link? Might do it myself if it is truly a 30 minute job rather than sit a day or two in the dealer.

Can't recall offhand, but didn't they also make a replacement link which was also beefier in the UK recall? :confused:

add:

That part 5 "link" (or BMW lingo "Deflection Lever") shows as "No longer available" on the MAX BMW site.

05 33537658685 DEFLECTION LEVER 0.71pounds NA - (No Longer Available since 04/2009)

Also, part 33537658685 (above) was superseded by 33537714366.

Nothing price-wise on getting another (i.e. newer one). May be a total change-out? :confused:

add:

Link price (Part #5 complete): $158.12

Mack

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are correct re: the UK, mine was replaced (as a recall) when I took my 2008 K1200S in to have a center stand fitted.

I have replaced the dog-bones on my K12 as well, this took no longer than an hour, and is definitely easier with the rear wheel removed, then to replace the part or grease the bearings you just have to undo 2 bolts, (but if I remember correctly they had odd sized nuts) be careful as the swing-arm will drop.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Suspension Link

Somon;
When your link was replaced by BMW, was there an updated (new P/N?) version installed, or seal change, or change in lubrication schedule or type of lube recommendation or, or, or? The curious need to know.
EJ

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would like to see them dump the needle bearing for a sealed roller bearing, if not and they insist on a needle bearing how about two grease fittings to keep fresh grease in the bearing. :dunno:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Being in the UK we had ours replaced a couple of years ago. The new one is a couple of mm or so thicker. Even so I keep mine well lubricated.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts