21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, Done mine...

Really easy, I took it to my local BMW dealer, who replaced it. Fine now but was warned by an independent garage that failure to replace it could mean the back end collapsing!!! Not good!

SteveK

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had mine replaced for free last week. Dealer looked on his computer and my 07 K12S was one that needed it replaced. Took no time at all. The new dogbone is HUGE compared to the old one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Received the recall letter today. Funny it took so long. The date on the letter is simply March 2011:
Safety Recall Campaign No. 10V-488:
K 1200 R/S /GT, K 1300 R/S / GT

Rear Wheel Linkage

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fair play to BMW for getting it sorted, this is a continuing issue for FJR1300 Yams I believe

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Funny this recall. We have plenty of experts here more likely to raise an issue than to be told about something through a recall notice. Many of us riding BMW's are probably on safer bikes having read members posts!

My '97 KR must be one of the earlier years before they cut costs ! :) I don't have a dog bone on the lower rear shock joint, just a large substantial thick looking ali 'U' section and one bolt through the swingarm housing mount.

If I found a critical steel part made so thin and went rusty (like their pressed torsion links), I wouldn't wait for a recall, just re-make the parts in slightly heavier gauge stainless steel. O.K by having the recall done you get a thicker steel part, but I bet it will stilll go rusty and look horrible.

Fitting an aftermarket rear hugger is being really kind to your K12 rear suspension parts.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Am I reading this right, those of us that are riding 13 year-old motorcycles have a recall to fix the wishbone in the rear. Most of the bikes out there are not still owned by the original owner who would be getting these letters. Just went back and noticed the dates were 2011 on the thread I will check to see if mine is done

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
312 Posts
You're supposed to lube the needle bearings related to the link every two years now also. The original link was too thin.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts