BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

BMW S1000RR Chris Teach McNeil Drifting and Stunting 2010

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  2008-K1200GT 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Chris picked up the S1000RR at the Livermore, CA dealership (Tri-Valley Moto). You can see where he worked the bike a bit by the asphault markings outside the service bay. Stated that it's the first bike he's been able to perform on without making any mods.
No ABS, no traction control.

#6 ·
I'd advise anyone to ride one - if for nothing more than to see what BMW has done...right (for once!).

It really is impressive, even though you may have to adopt the crotch rocket sitting position over the upright sitting position of older BMW's and narrower bars. Once the G's push you back, you won't notice that bizarre riding position as much. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I had thought coming off the Ducati. Maybe 10-20 minutes and you are pretty much tuned into it.

Luckily, I shopped dealers with a good test run too. City traffic demo runs with this bike will suck. Better off in the wilds with nice sweepers and a decent roadway. Few CA dealers have those conditions nearby that suit this bike. Even on a mostly new rural demo road to me, it wasn't that frightening a ride and I could push 60-70 MPH easily on it in the forested foothills. New rides (i.e. "bikes") also seem to rattle me for a while. The portly GT flat scared me for the weight gain over my old RT at times on my demo run with it when I had to make a U-turn on a narrow two-lane road with the grabby power-assisted brakes on them.

However, BMW test rides can lead to financial ruin too. :D

Mack

#7 ·
I think this is what should be expected. After all BMW decided to go after the Jap sport bike market, and like it or not the kids eat this shit up. If BMW is serious about the sport bike market they need to head in this direction even further.The price point for the S1000RR is a bit higher than the comparable Jap bikes so they will need even more flash to sell the bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.