BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW has listed the new bikes on their international english site, so you can get all the details straight from them! The F800ST and F800S, the R1200S, and K1200GT are all there.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Have fun!

Hmmm, on looking further some are currently a little light on content. :(

There ARE specs on the R1200S, though, so I guess just keep an eye out, these just went up in the last day.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So it's official, they have it in the tourer category. Makes sense, given the rest of the range, and the way it has bulked up.

Given that positioning, they will now have a very fast tourer, the RT and the Light Truck LT, depending how to want your longer trips to sound and feel.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
kkugel said:
BMW has listed the new bikes on their international english site, so you can get all the details straight from them! The F800ST and F800S, the R1200S, and K1200GT are all there.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Have fun!
Interesting. Especially:
  • 155 bhp and 130 Nm
  • on-board computer with oil level display
  • xenon light as optional
Though it is not listed on the Motorrad USA website, it has been reported that the GT will also be available with a radio, but possibly later than the initial launch in April.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Though it is not listed on the Motorrad USA website, it has been reported that the GT will also be available with a radio, but possibly later than the initial launch in April.
WHAT??! Not a 40 inch plasma TV? They need to get their priorities straight! ;)

Bob.

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Excellent Brakes"?

There were a couple of rumors that surfaced along the way to seeing the real pictures from BMW and at the Milan show.

One of these was that a new brake system from a company called Continental-Teves would replace the servo assisted brakes. They would be linked but non-servo. Looking closely at the calipers on the new pictures, they sure look the same. Sure would like to know if the braking system was carried over.

Also, there was a rumor of a change in the transmission from the cassette transmission on the K-R/S to the one used on the RT. This seems less likely than a change in the braking system, but haven't yet seen anything definite on that.

Nothing specific on the weight or exact fuel capacity, either.

The picture of the darker colored GT leaned over and away from the viewer sure makes the bike look sporty and appealing.

Last: nice to see the three additonal ponies, up from the assumed 152 to 155. All three new K's are torque monsters. Any speed, any gear, anytime!

You have to think that people that wanted all that K-R/S performance in a do-it-all comfortable environment would be pleased. Got my fingers crossed on price. Can't believe all those features listed on Motrrad are standard and not just "available" as options.

Miles

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Miles,

Read somewhere that the gas tank capacity is 6 gallons. Hope it's more! This is the hot unit! This is the sport tourer! Will you have one in the garage next to your S?

Let's Ride IT!

Regards,

Motorman

·
Registered
290 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
"Excellent Brakes"?

One of these was that a new brake system from a company called Continental-Teves would replace the servo assisted brakes.
"Teves" (also known as "Alfred Teves", or more commonly "ATE") is one of Europe's largest manufacturers of braking systems. BMW (among many others) has used their brakes in their cars for many years. I have had several cars with ATE disks. I loved the way that the pads could be exchanged in a couple of minutes without removing the caliper (rather like the old Brembo brakes on the original K100/K75 series).

Bob.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if you poke around in the Technology section, there is a nice description of the new optional Xenon light, for the K1200LT and GT

·
Registered
250 Posts
The pictures with the one large and three small kinda looks like a silver color.I guess it's the white but it sure looks silver to me.Kinda like that,looking a little better to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks silver to me too, especially if you wait long enough that the silver one flips up on the bigger frame. My FAVORITE color. :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Motorman said:
Hi Miles,

Read somewhere that the gas tank capacity is 6 gallons. Hope it's more! This is the hot unit! This is the sport tourer! Will you have one in the garage next to your S?

Let's Ride IT!

Regards,

Motorman
Well, we have two bikes in the garage; the K-S and my wife's R12ST. But you know, way back last May when I traded a perfectly good Orient blue GT for the K-S, I wrestled with idea of keeping the GT. Space and economics just didn't add up.

My overall enthuisasm is a much for the "new GT forum"as it is the bike iteself. Somewhere at the bottom of the forum it says "Miles Miller - Moderator". Actually I think we're all moderators. Everyone has done such a great job in making the new GT discussion a pleasant and rewarding one. But, hey, my role as moderator on this forum dates all the way back to the old website when the joke was whether there would even be a "new GT". And remember that phase we went thru when it was decided, if it existed at all, it would be lableled a "K-RT".

It's just nice to see the bike before our eyes; and who would have "thunk" it would be the Milan Show after all the false starts at the Paris Show and the Birmingham, England show. Hey, I didn't even know Milan had a motorcycle show until a few weeks back.

And finally, anyone that has a K-R or K-S has to be super pleased that those bikes are now joined by the GT. It suggests the success of the new four cylinder design, the Hossack front suspension and the emphasis toward more sporty, lightweight bikes from BMW.

It sure has been fun being part of the roll-out of the new GT.

Miles

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
It is rumored to be about 30 pounds lighter at 580 lbs. Which makes it 30 pounds heavier than the FJR-1300 and about 30 pounds lighter than the current GT.

·
Registered
486 Posts
from official BMW Motorrad site

"The new BMW K 1200 GT: Excellence in motion

"For some motorcyclists, long distances and dynamic performance go together like innovation and quality when they have a passion for a supreme touring experience. They sometimes like to enjoy trips with a pillion passenger, with or without luggage, and don't want to do without comfort, speed or performance. They expect power just as they do excellent safety - combined in a top-quality motorcycle which also has an exciting visual appeal. They may even take the bike out for a few thousand relaxing kilometres, savouring pure pleasure every inch of the way. This is the "Gran Tourismo" experience provided by BMW Motorrad - the world of the new K 1200 GT!

"The K 1200 GT has one of the most state-of-the-art and powerful motorcycle engines in the touring bike segment. 155 bhp and 130 Nm give a clear message: the heart of the fascinating BMW K 1200 S with its powerful torque is a definitely a sporty one. The unique chassis with Duolever and ESA (optional) along with excellent brakes ensure that the bike's performancecapacity is always well under control. The safety fittings leave nothing to be desired: ABS and electronic brake pad change indicator as standard, and such features as automatic cruise control, on-board computer with oil level display or xenon light as optional extras. The functional equipment also sets standards, including anti-theft protection, heatable seat and many ergonomical ideas on the comfort side. It goes without saying that a technological leader such as the BMW K 1200 GT has an individually tailored storage space concept and perfect wind and weather protection. In short: BMW opens up a new dimension to all fans of dynamic and comfortable long-distance travel.

"Take the handlebars and enter the most exclusive world of fast mobility on two wheels: enjoy excellence in motion à la BMW with the BMW K 1200 GT."

Nothing about the capacity of the gas tank. And horse power is down to 155. :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nothing about the capacity of the gas tank. And horse power is down to 155. :(
It would be better if BMW hired someone who can speak fluent English for these press releases, rather than using a software translation program. :mad:

As far as the grumble abour "only" 155 HP is concerned, I doubt that the 12 HP reduction from the K-S will be noticed. What WILL be noticed, is the apparently increased low-end torque that results from the remapping.

Bob.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like my 04 K1200GT. Great bike. The new iteration appears to be better. I like to larger luggage. The new key. The onboard computer and all the other gadgets, optional or standard. I really want to know the capacity of the fuel tank. From the PR release on BMW Motorrad, it sounds like it will have more range. If so that is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cough, Cough, Cough

Hmmm...am I the only one to find this - http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index_frameset.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/products/luxurytourers/k1200gt/k1200gt_data.html - I t was not linked off their site, so it makes me wonder if the web folks for BMW need to learn "security thru obsecurity" for pages is not a good idea :)...here is a few facts converted for us in the US for the NEW GT:

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled - 621lbs
Usable tank volume 24l = ~6.3 gallons
Fuel consumption over 100 km at constant 90 km/h - 4.8l = ~48 mpg @ 55mph
Fuel consumption over 100 km at constant 120 km/h - 5.8l = ~40 mpg @ 75mpg
Alternator - 945W

·
Registered
910 Posts
sincGT said:
Is the new GT lighter than the current model? If so, by how much?
Mark,

Maybe it's best to answer your question from my personal experience; especially since the actual weight on the new GT doesn't seem to be around just yet.

The '98 K12RS weighed 628 lbs; then the '03 GT was at 661 lbs according to the bmwmotorcycles.com website where they still "feature" the current GT; the K-S weighs 547 lbs. That shows a significant reduction of 114 lbs over the GT. This, of course, is not an apples-to-apples comparison; going from a sport-tourer, to a tourer, to a sportbike.

My wifes former R11RS shows a weight of 560 lbs on the same website; while her R12ST weighs 505 lbes; a net reduction of 55 lbs. In this case it is an apple-to-apple comparison since the ST replaced the R/RS in BMW's lineup.

Put another way; the two bikes we ride have a combined weight reduction of 169 lbs.over our previous Beemers. For the kind of riding we do, we are both appreciative of the lower weights of both bikes. I also think this shows a trend that BMW is following.

In your case, Mark, if you're using the GT the way I think you are, you probably shouldn't concern yourself with these numbers. Going across British Columbia to the Kooteneys, up to 100 Mile House, and over to Nakusp in August - perfect for the GT. And that silver color - unique and beautiful - they didn't even selll that color in the U.S.

I do have an assignment for you, though. You didn't think you would get away scott-free, did you? Check out and see if the Vancouver show over in Abbottsford this January will have the just released BMW's. They won't be in the upcoming Seattle show in a couple of weeks; so it would be nice if they have them at the Vancouver show.

Miles

P.S. - I was typing out this message when Andy posted the stats on the new GT. (good find, Andy - man, information is coming so fast on the GT). So, at 621 for the new GT and 661 for the current GT; the difference is exactly 40 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts