BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to be negative A-hole, but....... Lately, i've noticed a large sum of BMW riders riding around in shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and even flip-flops. I have been riding for quit a few years and the one thing i've always noticed is that dudes that ride BMW's wear gear 99% of the time. At least jackets, gloves, helmets, boots, and most wear riding pants. At least wear pants on a motorcycle.

I am not sure if this is a regional phenomenon/occurrence, since i live in a town filled with people with expendable money, but usually these guys are riding the GS's. I'm not taking a stab at the dual sport crowd, but could this be a migration of the RUB's from riding "Hogs" to riding the next "cool thing?"

Just an observation. It is just a BMW rider without gear stands out as much as a Harley rider with a DOT approved helmet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's just one side effect of the widened BMW appeal: the bikes appeal also to a "casual" audience, guys that up until a couple of years ago wouldn't have considered BMWs because they were totally uncool...

CYA, Ed

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess it depends where you live. In Florida in July- September it is so hot and humid that wearing full gear is very uncomfortable. Even mesh gear is hot, I always wear my helmet ... but in the summer it's t-shirt and jeans... but never flip flops. Don't forget since long way round, then long way down your going to get the crowd buying GS's and thinking they're Charlie and Ewen. :confused:

Bill
87 K75S

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
All it takes is one get off to convince you to wear gear. My brother wore gear when he lowsided his bike. Still broke his ankle and got some road rash, but looking at his helmet, he might have been dead.

I figure you get what you deserve. Don't wear gear, pay the price if you go down, and don't expect tears from me. So it doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
If you got the doe...BMW got the bike....kid on the corner buys one...there you have it...just like any thing else.....the market will pull in....so Jap,Italin,...dont matter....Thats who BMW wanted to sell to.....so thats that.....I know It sucks...but what are you going to do?.......But maybe when it comes time to fix it they wont have the brains or the money $$$$$...and it will soon thin out......NEW FAD?...One good thing....the bike will last a long time....so its not like they can just throw it away and get a new one...they got to deal with a bike that will haunt them till thier second born...he he he ...If they live that long

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JCW said:
All it takes is one get off to convince you to wear gear. My brother wore gear when he lowsided his bike. Still broke his ankle and got some road rash, but looking at his helmet, he might have been dead.

I figure you get what you deserve. Don't wear gear, pay the price if you go down, and don't expect tears from me. So it doesn't bother me too much.
i had that one wreck that turned me into hamburger, when i was 21 though. i usually wore gear, but in the summer in middle of fresno at 105 degrees, just running to Arbys, i bit it. Lesson learned. i have wrecked twice since then, slight bruising on one hip, bruise to palm. thats it. much less painful than road rash and the clean up at the hospital.

BTW, it gets hot as hell here too. last week 100's every day. tomorrow, ride day, it will be mid 90's, which is not that bad because it will be cool in the morning.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Usually the squids get a good case of road rash and quit riding!

There is an upside, usually a good parts bike or a track bike becomes available cheap. Not much available in good plastic from these though, but you get electronics, motor, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tafelmusik said:
...and thinking they're Charlie and Ewen. :confused:

Bill
87 K75S
why would anybody want to be like Charlie and Ewan. the latter i get for the nicole kidman kissing part in moulin rouge, and even better scarlett johanson in the island, but Charlie ???
besides, didn't they end up with BMW only because KTM wouldn't give them bikes for free ?

cheers !

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that part of the ...

...problem is the term "road rash". It sounds so harmless and temporary...like the rash you got in the woods one day or when your shirt collar chafed your neck. How about we change the reference to "sudden and involuntary skin removal" and roll into a visit to the local hospital burn unit where you are taken for treatment...for MONTHS if not YEARS!

Let's talk about skin grafts and not being able to wear long sleeves without pain for several months...and the long term scarring.

Me? I just cover the skin I think I'm going to need.

Chuck V (2008 R1200RT - silver, the not-so-fast color.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
ChuckV said:
...problem is the term "road rash". It sounds so harmless and temporary...
+1

Right elbow - still shows 'roadrash from dumping a CB350 in 1968.
Left shin - same - dumped a SL100 in 1970.

Simple jacket and blue jeans do wonders for saving your 'skin' during a low speed mishap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, this is BikeGuy - Robin

When I saw the word squid, I couldn't help but respond. First of all, if you aren't geared up for riding, that doesn't necessarily make you a squid, maybe just a fool.

A squid, to me, and I do mean to me, is somebody who is unaware of their surroundings on the road, is only thinking of themselves, is unprepared for riding, takes too many risks on the highway endangering other peoples lives and is a little arrogant and overaggressive.

People who are not geared up to ride a bike - there are lots of excuses for it.

They don't have the money.
It is too hot.
No respect for the sport.

One thing about doing that is that it thins the herd. If you are screwing around like that, you won't be doing it for very long.

They have helmet requirements for most places but shoes is a good thing and even a leather jacket without armour is better than nothing. In the hot summer, you can wear mesh pants and jacket with tank top and shorts underneath - they make all kinds of summer boots that you can wear that have great ankle protection but I guess it is a live and learn thing. One other thing, gloves - can't tell you how many people I see riding without gloves. Just think what is going to happen when you put your hand down.

When a rider does it, it is on him or her. But the passenger on the back, that is what is hard to take. The rider doesn't inform the person on the back of the dangers and they hop on the back of a bike without proper gear unaware which is also on the rider.

One thing about being a squid, people use it like a cussword. If you don't like somebody or you don't like what they're doing on the road -- you call them a squid. Not all people on the highway who ride aggressive are squids. Allot of cruisers and casual riders feel intimidated by somebody who is aggressive and fast but that isn't a squid. That is one little part of it.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
chuckheinch said:
.. Lately, i've noticed a large sum of BMW riders riding around in shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and even flip-flops. ....
Howdy Chuck,

I'm just up Auburn/Folsom Road and you got me. Every once in awhile maybe a couple of times in the summer, I'll just throw on a helmet and run a shot distance errand. Shorts, t-shirt, gloves, helmet and whatever shoes (including flip-flops) I'm wearing.

Of course it represents about 1/10,000 of the miles I ride a year, BUT.. I'll tell Nancy and get my :spank1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts