BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey John,

Sory to disappoint, but it will not be at the dealers until June.
I'll be riding it in May. Will advise. Chicago BMW has already sold 10!

Regards,

Motorman

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motorman said:
Hey John,

Regards,

Motorman
How come your info is so dead-on? BMW Daytona says April and they allege to be biggest in the world, as does the website saying April. Hey, this is Greece . . . we kill the messenger!?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motorman said:
Hey John,

Regards,

Motorman
SCHADENFREUDE!

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
John,

I have again gone back to my sources (3 dealers in 3 different states). All expect their first K1200GTs in late May. The information I have is the following:
  • The first round of GTs to arrive will be all loaded up with the bells and whistles (in May)
  • They will be staged on both the east and west coast, as to arrive at the dealers at nearly the same time
  • Build to order instructions will arrive at the dealers in late April/early May
  • Any build to order units WILL NOT arrive until late June at the earliest -- so if you want to opt out of ESA or Cruise Control or configure it YOUR WAY, you'll just have to wait.
  • Dealer allocations will be based on the number of K1200S/R bikes that were sold. So if your dealer didn't buy into the S/R hype and didn't sell very many, they won't be getting very many GTs.
  • Of the 3 dealers I talk to on a regular basis, one has 13 paid deposits, another has 11, and the last has 7, so it looks like the GT is slated to be a sales winner.
That's all the info I have at this time. I need to get down to my dealer to see if the material that was supposed to be sent after the dealer meeting had arrived. I've been buried at work, so I haven't been by in over a week.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
More information as of a few minutes ago...
  • Just as we saw with the launch of the K1200S, we again will see one (1) unit shipped to all dealers to arrive on or about the same date. This date seems to be the early to mid part of May, but I was told no promises.
  • Dealers will be asked to hold on to that unit for display/demo purposes - yeah right!
  • In the following weeks, dealers will receive an allottment (but nobody would say what it was based on) of bikes. That will be the last set of bikes that will arrive before the second wave and "configure to order" bikes start arriving in late June/early July.
The person I talked to also told me there are only 2 GTs in the US today, but more should arrive in time for Daytona Bike Week. There was no indication whether or not bikes would be available for riding at Bike Week.

Mission for John P -- can you confirm with Daytona whether or not the GTs will be at Bike Week and will be available for test rides?

·
Registered
147 Posts
eljeffe said:
The person I talked to also told me there are only 2 GTs in the US today, but more should arrive in time for Daytona Bike Week. There was no indication whether or not bikes would be available for riding at Bike Week.
I hate to burst y'alls bubble, but the dealer rep I talked to last week said there are only two of the new GTs in the country and they are only for show. The guys in the US would give their left nut to have more to demo. I think this whole idea of bikes for demo at Daytona is just wishful thinking. I hope I am wrong.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
April, May, June....

WHO CARES!!!!
It ain't gonna look any better in April than it will in June!
On the other hand....sooner the better..... y'all buy up the inventory so BMW can get a restyled GT to us sooner!

·
Registered
147 Posts
WHO CARES!!!!
It ain't gonna look any better in April than it will in June!
On the other hand....sooner the better..... y'all buy up the inventory so BMW can get a restyled GT to us sooner!
Whoa, buddy. Feeling a little inadequate, are we? I'm sure all you naysayers will keep repeating the same thing until your girly ass gets waxed by the 152 HP from the new GT.

Can I get some popcorn for the show?

·
Registered
290 Posts
eljeffe said:
]In the following weeks, dealers will receive an allottment (but nobody would say what it was based on) of bikes.
For what it's worth, as of 2 months ago John Valk BMW in Vancouver has 3 on allotment.

Bob.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Changing the subject, are we?

PCKRS said:
Whoa, buddy. Feeling a little inadequate, are we? I'm sure all you naysayers will keep repeating the same thing until your girly ass gets waxed by the 152 HP from the new GT.

Can I get some popcorn for the show?
Not talkin about performance...talkin about style.....130hp is plenty anyway....extra butter please.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke with Bill Peretti, owner of BMW Daytona/Orlando, today, March 1st. He told me unequivocally that BMW will be at Daytona with demonstration bikes, next Monday - Friday, at the Speedway! Mar 6 - 10, 2006.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Thanks, John.

If you are there, make sure you take lots of pictures (and videos if you can)!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Aw, man! And I thought we'd get a good show going. Bummer, dude.

Seriously, if we're gonna talk about beauty, BMW ain't in the discussion. I believe names like MV Agusta and the Tamburini designed Ducatis come to mind. Even the new Triumph 675 is a gorgeous bike. But BMW? Ha! Well, you gotta give dem jermins some credit with the original 98-01 K1200RS. That was a work of art. The 02-04 with that bulbous fairing? Ew! And the current K1200GT with all that bolt-on crap? Where everything on it is an afterthought. Just shameful. SHAMEFUL!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will take plenty of stills and will bring my HD Camcorder. I don't know much about converting HD (or maybe I shouldn't shoot in HD) digital video into MP4 or WAV files. If I FedEx the digital tape do you know anyone that can get the video on the website?

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Oh well...

PCKRS said:
The 02-04 with that bulbous fairing? Ew! And the current K1200GT with all that bolt-on crap? Where everything on it is an afterthought. Just shameful. SHAMEFUL!!! ;)
...another RS owner who wishes he had a GT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts