BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dealer said the bodywork is composite and requires specialized methods to prepare and paint.
The bike has some deep scratches but no cracks. Several searches do not bring up anything
regarding what procedures are required? Interested in knowing, I got all winter....

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
169 Posts
It's ABS. In the past I've bought a can of ABS glue at Home Depot and a piece of ABS plastic and then mixed shavings from the plastic with some of the glue to make a filler. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's ABS. In the past I've bought a can of ABS glue at Home Depot and a piece of ABS plastic and then mixed shavings from the plastic with some of the glue to make a filler. Worked like a charm.
Thank you, made my day, my service manager wants the business i get it.
Bodywork is voodoo, but i've done lots of plumbing-so what the heck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm. I've got my bodywork over at a friends body shop to paint whenever he gets some free time. It has some scratches and some small gouges on one side. He had redone a wrecked K1300GT last year they bought at auction just like mine and didn't mention anything special about repainting it so it must not be too involved. He did look it over before i carried the pieces over,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The paint on my 06 GT decided it had enough and basically pealed off in sheets. The plastic looked like there was not any etching prior to paint at the factory so be sure to use a bonding or etching agent before you prime for adhesion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts