BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what other motorcyclists think of these 3 wheel vehicles?
It seems to me that they are inching precariously close to being like a convertable automobile. Has anyone on IBMW ridden one?
Without having ridden one I know that I would miss leaning over and transitioning curves immensely.
Thoughts?

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I really like the looks of them... Not sure I would ever be interested in buying one. It would be fun to take a demo ride.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
They look cool so I followed one last summer to get a closer look at the handling......but she was all over the road and we were not even going fast....so much so that I lost patience and passed her and hubby on the Goldwing in front....! :teeth

If you like leaning, you might want one of those instead. :D
:http://www.3wheelers.com/carver.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
More plastic than a LT or GT, but stable, well built, Canadian,
ass backwards trike. New for this year RT is quite the looker for 2 up,
and huge trailer, ready made and matched, but $5,000.00.
Followed a RS last year, owner was really having to work it in the corners
but seemed to zip along and had a big grin :D
Check out hannigans website from Kentucky, they do trikes and
BMW sidecars etc, they have a four wheel bike(Gold Wing)
looks like a cross between a quad and a bike...weird :confused:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I test rode the new RT back in Nov. Totally different riding experience. No hand brake for the front - all 3 wheels are ABS/linked to the brake pedal under your right foot. Handling is weird. If you have a death grip on the bars it will wander, but relax your grip and it's fine. It does take more effort, a lot more effort, ride aggressively. I personally think it would make a great 2 up ride. My girlfriend really like it. It was easy for her to get on and off, the seat was comfortable, the floorboards are adjustable for her, and she can get on and off without me having to hold the bike. For me, no matter how much she wiggled around back there, I never felt it. Slow speed and stops were easy. Didn't have to worry about dropping it.

A friend of mine who went from an R1 to a 1098 to a B-King, traded the B-King off to get the RS. He really loves it and is really starting to ride aggressively with it. This guy is one of those track day guys and used to pull wheelies on the freeway in Dallas. And along with his Spyder he has a 250 Suzuki Motard. He knows how to ride, and ride hard. If he loves it, it must be fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CanAm Spyder test ride

My test ride left me with a huge smile on my face. However, I wouldn't purchase one for the following reasons.
Needs a larger motor & 6 forward gears.
Too buzzy. Hands were numb after a few minutes of riding.
Lack of cruise control, heated grips & seat. Yes, I'm spoiled by my BMW.
It took a lot of strength to muscle it around & generally control it. Your really have to pay attention to stay on top of things, even more so than a regular 2-wheeled MC.
Really poor gas mileage: 20-25 mpg reported by some owners.
Minor issues such as mirrors too small to be useful which made for unsafe ride; windshield too small to consider touring.

On the plus side:
Fun factor.
Seat was more comfortable than any BMW, Corbin or Bill Mayer seat I've owned.
Has a reverse gear, which is needed because you couldn't push this bike on your own.
Parking brake.
Not having to put your feet down to keep the bike up at a stop. Don't know what this means for having to put your feet down at stop signs to avoid getting a ticket.
Has some nice built-in storage.
Nice colors, more than most BMW's.

I thought about getting one for the wife because I hoped it would be easy for her to ride & control, but after riding it, decided that wasn't the case.

Tom

·
Registered
549 Posts
kvida said:
My test ride left me with a huge smile on my face. However, I wouldn't purchase one for the following reasons.
Needs a larger motor & 6 forward gears.
Too buzzy. Hands were numb after a few minutes of riding.
Lack of cruise control, heated grips & seat. Yes, I'm spoiled by my BMW.
It took a lot of strength to muscle it around & generally control it. Your really have to pay attention to stay on top of things, even more so than a regular 2-wheeled MC.
Really poor gas mileage: 20-25 mpg reported by some owners.
Minor issues such as mirrors too small to be useful which made for unsafe ride; windshield too small to consider touring.

On the plus side:
Fun factor.
Seat was more comfortable than any BMW, Corbin or Bill Mayer seat I've owned.
Has a reverse gear, which is needed because you couldn't push this bike on your own.
Parking brake.
Not having to put your feet down to keep the bike up at a stop. Don't know what this means for having to put your feet down at stop signs to avoid getting a ticket.
Has some nice built-in storage.
Nice colors, more than most BMW's.

I thought about getting one for the wife because I hoped it would be easy for her to ride & control, but after riding it, decided that wasn't the case.

Tom
You would be correct on the RS not having a cruise, but the RT has cruise, electric windshield, heated grips, as well as reverse and iPod interface. Reports I see are saying the RT is getting anywhere from 25 - 30 mpg.

I agree with needing a 6th gear, but from what I read, the 6th gear was used for the reverse. Yes, this is a true reverse - you can burn rubber backing up!

And I agree with the buzz. It definitely does buzz.

In 5th at 70mph, there is absolutely no punch. A lot worse than the LT. On a 2 lane road you'd have to downshift in order to pass safely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was about 4 yrs old when I learned how to ride a bike, and haven't been on a tricycle since, and don't plan on getting back on one, until the aging process forces me to, but I doubt if it will be a backwards tricycle, but possibly a side car?
I've heard that they are fun, but require work. I saw a bunch of them at a dealer yesterday, and they seem pretty low, and would probably have a hard time seeing over the roof of a car?

·
Registered
27 Posts
brucecha said:
Huh, when I'm not on the bike I drive a Mazda Miata. You're only 1/2 way up a semi's tire in one of those and driving it is fine.
So your point is? Is it that you can see under it? I don't know of any regular car or truck that can see over a semi, so I guess you could see under a semi with a can am.
My point is that when on my motorcycle, I can see over most cars.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My point was that the Can-Am seat height is not near as low as my car and I have no trouble operating the automobile by looking through the windshields of the vehicles in front of me. This is SOP for anyone who drives.
The Can-Am has a seat height of 29" making it a couple of inches lower than most BMWs and 2 or more inches higher than 90+% of all the cruisers on the market.
I don't think your complaint of not seeing over the roofs of cars is as strong as saying you plain just don't like it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, and for doing the research on the seat height. I agree with your points, since I now know it isn't really that low, just my biased impression. Oh well, I don't know why I even got into a discussion on trikes, when I went to this forum with the intention on looking at bike talk, but you asked for opinions, and it perked my interest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts