BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the deed. $942.90 shipped. Got it on Ebay. This will be my first GPS for street nav. I'll post my thoughts after I've had it for a short while. I plan on putting it in the car at first so as to learn quicker.

I thank all who posted here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
It looks like the 2730 has an internal hard drive. Unless it has been improved, the hard drive set-up is not good for a MC application. The vibrations of the bike have caused earlier units (I believe it is the 2620) to become unusable. The older 2610 uses flash card memory which does not have this inherent problem. That said, the features of the 2730 are impressive as is the 3D mapping - very cool as compared to the old display. I hope Garmin fixed the earlier hard drive problem so this unit is able to work on a bike. Let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Vibration

I have a 2610 and road vibration has caused the card to come loose, ever so slightly, twice. This resulted in the unit not functioning. I had to pull over and reseat the card on those occassions.

Now if vibration can cause that to happen on a 2610, I wonder what the units with harddrives are going through. Too high a risk for me to consider a GPS with a harddrive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wasabi21 said:
It looks like the 2730 has an internal hard drive. Unless it has been improved, the hard drive set-up is not good for a MC application. The vibrations of the bike have caused earlier units (I believe it is the 2620) to become unusable. The older 2610 uses flash card memory which does not have this inherent problem. That said, the features of the 2730 are impressive as is the 3D mapping - very cool as compared to the old display. I hope Garmin fixed the earlier hard drive problem so this unit is able to work on a bike. Let us know how it goes.
From the Garmin Web Site :Highly-detailed maps featuring nearly six million points of interest (POIs) throughout the U. S., Canada, and Puerto Rico (destinations like hotels, restaurants, gas stations, and attractions) come pre-loaded on the unit’s solid-state memory. If a driver strays off-course, the StreetPilot 2730 automatically recalculates a new route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
That is great news! Should work better than both the internal hard drive and the flash card memory (I have not experienced Mudbug's problem, but it would piss me off if that ever happened). FYI - The best prices on Garmin GPS that I have been able to find is at www.GPSCity.com - it says the 2730 will be available January 20th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys scared me! I just got off the phone with a tech from Garmin. "The 2730 is a solid state, no moving parts, memory card that is not removable"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Pete_Tallahassee said:
You guys scared me! I just got off the phone with a tech from Garmin. "The 2730 is a solid state, no moving parts, memory card that is not removable"
Pete,

The RAM mount setup will eliminate almost all vibration. The rubber mounting on both ends solves that problem. In 8000+ miles I've had no problems with my 2610 and vibration.

P.S. PM'd you the parts information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
htheater said:
Yep, the 2620 was the only hard drive unit in the series...BIG mistake with that one!
In case anyone finds himself in my situation, having purchased the 2620 before purchasing the K12GT, I use the mount below to isolate the 2620 from the killer vibes.

Rusty
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Looks like you found a solution!

I didn't mean to cut down the 2620 as it is an excellent unit...it is just Garmin originally MARKETED it for motorcylces. Later they discovered their error and changed to "NOT recommended for motorcycles". A little mud on their face!

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
No offense taken. I bought the 2620 for the truck/5th wheel RV where it has worked flawlessly. Since I have a factory OEM Alpine-supplied DVD nav system in my Acura 3.2TL-S, I really couldn't justify purchasing a 3rd system just for the K12GT. If the 2620 craps out, I'll replace it with a motorcycle-friendly GPS that I can also use in the truck.

Rusty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Harddisk and MC vibrations

wasabi21 said:
It looks like the 2730 has an internal hard drive. Unless it has been improved, the hard drive set-up is not good for a MC application. The vibrations of the bike have caused earlier units (I believe it is the 2620) to become unusable. The older 2610 uses flash card memory which does not have this inherent problem. That said, the features of the 2730 are impressive as is the 3D mapping - very cool as compared to the old display. I hope Garmin fixed the earlier hard drive problem so this unit is able to work on a bike. Let us know how it goes.
This is exactly what I have been told at the GPS shop in Holland (Waypoint in Notter, great store) when buying my 2610. They also told me, that the RAM-mounting system, with its rubber balls that are fixed on the bike and that you clamp your GPS-unit on help to damp high frequency vibrations of the bike. Other mounts, that fix the GPS unit more directly to the tank or the handlebars don't have this (supposed) advantage. Ah, well, for what it is worth... Difficult for us indivually to check. You have to be able to see trends. I trust the guys at the GPS shop to be able to do that, and of course our forum also helps to get the picture better...

Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
To Garmin's credit, I've been using a 2620 on my K12 and previous bike for over a year now and have had no problems with the hard drive. Knock on wood of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
GXM 30 XM smart antenna

Pete_Tallahassee said:
Just did the deed. $942.90 shipped. Got it on Ebay. This will be my first GPS for street nav. I'll post my thoughts after I've had it for a short while. I plan on putting it in the car at first so as to learn quicker.
When you put it on the bike let us know where/how you mount the GXM 30 XM smart antenna. According to Garmin's website, it's about 3 inches in diameter. I also noticed that the XM antenna retails for $267.84, luckily it's included but it would be expensive to buy an extra for the car or bike.

The 2730 looks great and I'm probably going to get one too, mainly to combine the GPS and XM and have one less accessory on the bike to worry about.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
XM antenna??

I just downloaded the manual for the 2730 from Garmin. It looks like the XM antenna plugs into the USB port on the back of the 2730. The USB port appears to be in the same location as it is on the 2610.

This port is covered by the garmin motorcycle mounting bracket. It doesn't appear to be possible to have the XM antenna plugged into the 2730 while it's in the mounting bracket.

I've emailed Garmin to see if this is true or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
I bought a 2730 for my son's Christmas present and it just arrived today 01/16/06. Interestingly, I would agree with you on the hard drive; I tried some Microdrives in my NAVII and 2610's and they caused an overheat problem. Dont use them anymore.

Getting back to the 2730, in the set up section the menu specifically ask for vehicle type AUTO/MOTORCYCLE. While not meant to be the end of the story, seems Garmin must have done some things to beef up the hard drive. BTW, his intended use is in the car so not a big deal for him.

Unit is slick. I played with it a bit and like the 3D view a lot. I added him to my XM account so he gets it (I pay) for 6.99 per month. The built in FM modulator and MP3 feature very nice.

Very impressed with the unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jpalamaro said:
I bought a 2730 for my son's Christmas present and it just arrived today 01/16/06. Interestingly, I would agree with you on the hard drive; I tried some Microdrives in my NAVII and 2610's and they caused an overheat problem. Dont use them anymore.

Getting back to the 2730, in the set up section the menu specifically ask for vehicle type AUTO/MOTORCYCLE. While not meant to be the end of the story, seems Garmin must have done some things to beef up the hard drive. BTW, his intended use is in the car so not a big deal for him.

Unit is slick. I played with it a bit and like the 3D view a lot. I added him to my XM account so he gets it (I pay) for 6.99 per month. The built in FM modulator and MP3 feature very nice.

Very impressed with the unit.
John, Is it easy to toggle back and forth from AUTO/MOTORCYCLE?
I've ordered a Ram mounting system and plan to use it in the car and the bike.
I'm getting REAL EXCITED!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
jpalamaro said:
I bought a 2730 for my son's Christmas present and it just arrived today 01/16/06. Interestingly, I would agree with you on the hard drive; I tried some Microdrives in my NAVII and 2610's and they caused an overheat problem. Dont use them anymore.
John,

The 2730 does NOT use a hard drive, microdrive or any other device with moving parts. It is a solid state device, more specifically NVR (Non-Voatile RAM). There is NOT a concern as it is actually more stable than a CF card since it can't come loose.

The disadvantage is that since it is internal memory it is not user upgradeable like the Compact Flash of the 2610.

FYI....the 2720 is also solid state memory....ONLY the 2620 used a hard drive.

Randy
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top