BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have the fork oil replaced my next item on the to-do list is to replace the brake fluid. I have a '92 K75RT with ABS. Should be easy enough: put tubes on the bleed valves, take the M.C. cover off and keep it full with new while I pump the old out the tubes after opening the valve. But to my surprise the right front brake doesn't have a bleed valve...

So, my question is: Why does only the left front brake have a bleed valve? The right one has a tube running back to the ABS pump. There is a bleed valve back there. So I assume I need to let the old fluid out back there? Correct? Does the ABS system make everything more complicated? What about the rear brake? It has a bleed valve on both the ABS pump and the caliper. What's the deal with that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Wayne.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wayne: well you need to hear from someone w/an ABS model, but I can tell you that on my 1990 non-ABS the right front caliper does not have a bleed nipple, either. There is a metal tube bringing fluid in to that caliper, and next to it is a tube that brings fluid out and up over the front tire to the left caliper. Next to the spot on the left cal. where that "hump" tube goes in is the only bleed nipple for the front.
I bled the front brakes successfully this fall, just bleeding from the one left nipple. But before I did I was on this forum asking pretty much the same question as you...
Steve
1990 k75RT

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, that is very helpful. Funny thing is that neither the clymers or the haynes mentions this fact (that I could find). I was just reading them over again and had convinced myself that I must be crazy or blind that there has to be a bleed nipple on both sides. Guess not...

Thanks again.
Wayne.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts