BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going in next week to have my brake fluid serviced. I have had the bike for two years and have 11500 miles on it. I saw on the dealer maint. sheet that I should have done a initial change at the one year mark. I have the servo system and ABS. What is supposed to be changed and when. The dealer said that there was a closed circuit system within the servo system and I think he said that there was another closed system that had a service interval within the ABS. I was hoping that you guys could shed some light on what is what and service intervals.
As a side note I put in a couple of days ago a PIAA 110 watt H7 Extreme White Plus low beam bulb for the original that had burned out and what a difference illumination!

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
Emilynator said:
I am going in next week to have my brake fluid serviced. I have had the bike for two years and have 11500 miles on it. I saw on the dealer maint. sheet that I should have done a initial change at the one year mark. I have the servo system and ABS. What is supposed to be changed and when. The dealer said that there was a closed circuit system within the servo system and I think he said that there was another closed system that had a service interval within the ABS. I was hoping that you guys could shed some light on what is what and service intervals.
As a side note I put in a couple of days ago a PIAA 110 watt H7 Extreme White Plus low beam bulb for the original that had burned out and what a difference illumination!
I assume from the avatar you have a KR?

I tried Sylvania silverstars and there was no difference from stock. Interesting the Piaa 110W are much better.

·
Registered
230 Posts
brake bleed interval

I know on the R bikes 2005 and newer the interval has increased to 2 years on the wheel circuits and 4 years on the control circuits. My guess would be the same applies to the 2005 and newer K bikes.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
every service that i have gone to, they stated that BMW had determined the brake fluid did not need to be changed until 20????. i've had my k12r for 2 1/2 years and bought it with the 600 done, 6000 done, 12000 i took it in but i had done all the work so they did the inspection and checked fault codes. they told me no valve or brakes until later.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked in person further with the service rep and It is confirmed that it is 2 years on the wheel circuits and 4 years on the control circuits. Thank you for the tech info. I did not understand the two systems before.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Change Interfal

I had the same system, ABS/Servo on 2 previous bikes and I changed the fluid every year.
I ride about 12K miles per year, including daily commuting.
The fluid was very discolored, compared to the new fluid.
A mighty vac helps to lessen the mess, especially for the 3 control circuits.

Last weekend I changed the clutch fluid - first time with the mineral oil.
The oil at the slave cylinder, first out, was black. The rest was a light green.
The new fluid was light blue.

A subtle, but noticeable improvement in the clutch actuation was an added benefit.
I had a slight chatter when starting out with light throttle/ low revs.
This has disappeared. I plan to change the clutch oil annually from here out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Clutch fluid change

Slight hijack. What was it like changing the clutch fluid/mineral oil? How much mineral oil did you use? I have an 05 RT that is now 3 years old so by April 2009 it will need to be changed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the mineral oil in the clutch was only changed when the clutch wore out. Life time sort of.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AZDrifterus said:
I had the same system, ABS/Servo on 2 previous bikes and I changed the fluid every year.
I ride about 12K miles per year, including daily commuting.
The fluid was very discolored, compared to the new fluid.
A mighty vac helps to lessen the mess, especially for the 3 control circuits.

Last weekend I changed the clutch fluid - first time with the mineral oil.
The oil at the slave cylinder, first out, was black. The rest was a light green.
The new fluid was light blue.

A subtle, but noticeable improvement in the clutch actuation was an added benefit.
I had a slight chatter when starting out with light throttle/ low revs.
This has disappeared. I plan to change the clutch oil annually from here out.
Hi!

These fluids are dissolving some moisture from air into them with the time. That is why they have to be changed time to time. Moisture will change the behaviour of fluid. And that is why your clutch is feeling much better now with new fluid in it. Also boiling point will become lower with the time. And this is relevant in brakes.

Because of fluids behaviour of dissolving water into it, you shall never use fluid from opened bottle. So, when you change fluid, take new unopened bottle, use what you need and throw unused fluid away. Use next time new unopened bottle again.

Normally change interval is max 2 years and I am surprised to learn that in some circuits it would be 4 years. Someway I would change it after 2 years as well.

I have changed fluid into my vehicles in two years intervals normally. And never experienced any broblems, but I bought once a used bike which had old fluid in clutch. After couple of months I was terrified that clutch is broken, because it did not do anything thus I was pulling clutch lever. I changed fluid and after that it worked like a new again.

Regards
Leiboshi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts