BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The quote from my local BMW dealership to replace the brake lines on my 2003 K1200RS is $1,933! Can anyone else share that they have paid? Thoughts on having a non-BMW mechanic do the work?

The $1933 breaks down like this:
$680 for brake line and repair kits
$500 to replace brake lines
$500 to bleed system
$120 for brake pads

·
Registered
236 Posts
South Carolina. And your local dealer would be . . . ? $2K. That's hilarious.
I bought my Spiegler braided lines from Peter Bombar (Bombar's Beemers) in a barter for a used and working ABS pump. I think the lines are around $300 these days.
You'll want to go with braided steel lines anyway, so forget OEM rubber lines.
I'd be running from that dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Better and cheaper:
Haven’t done front pads yet, but scored rear pads on amazon of all places for $12. Bought 2 sets that that price. Pretty sure pads for my bicycle cost more than that!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I presume the M/C dealerships are similar to the car dealerships: required to sell you OEM parts at MSRP +/- prices and shop rates that are double what the indies charge. I'm also pretty sure BMW never posted a service bulletin about replacing the rubber hoses with SS, so there would be no "OEM" SS replacement available and they would just sell you the same thing you are already having a problem with. Pro tip: BMW doesn't manufacture brake hoses or brake pads. They just buy them from someone willing to put BMW's name on the package.

If you have a shop manual and are confident in your abilities, it's a DIY job. If you're nervous about working on a critical system, buy reputable name-brand parts and find a local recommended indie and pay him to do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also, FYI, for bikes with ABS, BMW recommends the front and rear pads be matched front to rear, like tires. Has something to do with needing different friction coefficients between the front and rear to operate optimally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the referral to the Spiegler brake lines. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to work on this critical system. I also recall hearing that bleeding the ABS system requires a special tool. I'll look into an indie.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Indie may be fine as long as they understand the iABS system and have the correct service manual to guide them through the lines replacement and the proper procedure.
It has happened before that Indie shops (and/or DIY owners) screwed up lines installation but pretty well always from not using the correct service manual.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
406 Posts
There is one tool helpful for the brake bleed, a funnel that threads into the reservoir via the fill cap(s). Also it is handy to have a small 10mm box end wrench, either with a right angle bend at the box end or a piece of a socket welded to a handle. The bleed procedure is extensive and requires access to the ABS module so your talking at least 3 to 4 hours to do the job plus maybe 2 more to change out the lines.
I have a PDF.URL file I can send you on how to bleed an LT if you PM (conversation) with me. It includes all the steps to remove farings and other parts to get to business. It is a bit overwhelming. Forum protocols don't allow the extension I have to be attached. The LT is the most expensive of the BMW models to have serviced at a dealer.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The posted bleed procedure does not account for refilling the system after a line(s) replacement.Or even refilling if a reservoir runs dry (below Min) during bleeds.

In either case the procedure from the CORRECT service manual must be followed unless one finds himself with a compromised brake system or alarming flashing lights a few miles down the road!

DO NOT attempt to replace the lines without the correct procedure.Altough ignoring the procedure has worked for some, I had to rescue myself +10yrs ago and too many others over the years that I DO NOT feel like doing it anymore.

Reactions: Seeeu911

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered my brake lines! Back on the road soon! I hope I can bleed them right. Anyone have a good video for my 98 k1200rs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the link to the manuals. I have Clymer's, and I'm studying it now.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but here are a couple of manuals for the different K1200RS models:
1st Generation, K589
2nd Generation, K41
Yes the K41 manual for the iABS line replacement procedure.Thanks for posting the link.

The bleed procedure is in there amd is the same as the long posted one without all the froufrou.And how to refill the system if reservoirs run dry and some important Achtungs as to DO NOT.........!

iABS K1200RS 01up (02US) that is the manual.Nothing relevant in Clymer as to iABS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The quote from my local BMW dealership to replace the brake lines on my 2003 K1200RS is $1,933! Can anyone else share that they have paid? Thoughts on having a non-BMW mechanic do the work?

The $1933 breaks down like this:
That pricing is absolutely insane. You should definitely go to a non-bmw mechanic but make sure they know what they are doing. You could also do it yourself. If you go to my channel Paul Phillips fix on YouTube there is a video I posted on how to flare brake lines.. this is not a complicated thing to do and it does not cost a lot to have the tools to do it. I wish you the best and definitely hope you will find an alternative to that craziness. Sincerely, Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got mine replaced! The mechanic charged me for two hours work and he gets about 85 bucks an hour! J’s speed shop here in San Diego California. He also change my brakes and a new rear tire!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes as members suggest here you can do this yourself!
I did mine but no longer have a K-bike. But I do have something you need: The funnel for filling your brake fluid as you flush it out with fresh/new brake fluid. Let me know if I can sell it to you! Because I have no further need, maybe for 20 bucks plus ship it's yours. [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes as members suggest here you can do this yourself!
I did mine but no longer have a K-bike. But I do have something you need: The funnel for filling your brake fluid as you flush it out with fresh/new brake fluid. Let me know if I can sell it to you! Because I have no further need, maybe for 20 bucks plus ship it's yours. [email protected]
I’m putting it up for sale now but these old bikes are kind of hard to sell! I’m thinking about maybe I should just keep it because I want to get the new BMW S1000XR!
I just hate the GPS old units and I’m trying to wait for the longer digital display unit with the built-in GPS!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts