BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a recall notice in the mail for brake lines. Sounds like they're worried about long-term flexing causing a crack or a split. It calls for replacement of the front brake lines.

bikes affected: 2007-09 R1200R/RT/GS/GS Adventure, 2007 R1200ST, 2007-08 K1200GT

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yep, got two; one for the GT and another for the GS, same parts....same issue.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brake recall

Got my notice yesterday, the work was already performed at Max's during my 24,000 mile checkup. It's the metal lines at the ABS controller that they replace.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Just got my notice today as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
GillyWI said:
Just got my notice today as well.

Wow, a recall which doesn't involve the K1300GT! Can hardly believe it! :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Wish they would have included the 2006 year with the servo unit which is a PITA to bleed. A free bleed on that would be welcomed.

Mack

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Yup, got mine yesterday too. But what I'd really like to know is has any one actually suffered a failure? Seems like a really rare non issue in comparison to so many of the other issues that BMW doesn't seem to give a rats ass about? :confused: :dunno:

Typical.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Robert_W said:
Yup, got mine yesterday too. But what I'd really like to know is has any one actually suffered a failure? Seems like a really rare non issue in comparison to so many of the other issues that BMW doesn't seem to give a rats ass about? :confused: :dunno:

Typical.
BMW just being extra cautious. I mean, come on, brakes on a GT? Who ever uses THOSE???

·
Registered
677 Posts
Robert_W said:

Typical.

Right. They should ignore this brake issue to work on your issue.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
lhendrick said:
Right. They should ignore this brake issue to work on your issue.
Dude....you really do have a serious bug up your butt when it comes to me? WTF is your problem? Jesus man....let it go. :loco

I neither wrote or inferred ANYTHING about "my" probelm (s).

But just to clarify.....lets see. They are worried about a brake issue that yes....could be quite serious and should be addressed....so they do a recall. Cool, great. Kudos for doing the right thing.

But how about the other myriad of issues that this....and their other machines have and continue to have? Final Drives any one? Switches? Software? Fueling? Sensors? Cams? Etc etc etc. The list is too long to go through. When do they address those with a recall? Answer is they won't cause it would cost too much $$$ and the bottom line is they couldn't care less about the rider. They only see dollar signs. So here is what seems like a NON issue that could potentially cause some serious litigation so they jump. Typical corporate response.

Any way. Back to my original question. I would still like to know if there is any one here that has actually experienced the brake line failure? Any one?

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
Robert_W said:
I would still like to know if there is any one here that has actually experienced the brake line failure?
I haven't heard of a single instance. But, like you said, brakes tend to hit the NHTSA's radar rather quickly, so these types of "problems" tend to carry more weight.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Robert_W said:
But how about the other myriad of issues that this....and their other machines have and continue to have? Final Drives any one? Switches? Software? Fueling? Sensors? Cams? Etc etc etc. The list is too long to go through. When do they address those with a recall? Answer is they won't cause it would cost too much $$$ and the bottom line is they couldn't care less about the rider. They only see dollar signs. So here is what seems like a NON issue that could potentially cause some serious litigation so they jump. Typical corporate response.
I agree. I'd much rather see a recall that includes a final drive I know what blow chunks or an engine that won't grenande on me someplace in the middle of nowhere because I have the audacity of starting it.

Gilly

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GillyWI said:
that won't grenande on me Gilly
I love it when I see an accidentally misspelled word which actually NEEDS to be a word! "Grenande"... a grand explosion caused by a grenade... or maybe just a very large grenade?

Well anyway, my recall was quickly done at Irv Seaver Motorcycles. The whole thing takes about an hour and a half (and I'm guessing most of that time is spent bleeding/refilling the brake fluid). I took it in at 8:00AM on Saturday morning, got a loaner bike, came home and took my wife to breakfast, and the Service Manager was calling me to come pick it up before I got back from Keno's. I tried to get them to give me a 1000RR for a loaner, but they weren't going for it. He was ready to let me have a test ride, but they didn't want it gone all day...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts