BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 K1200GT has only a bit over 1200 miles on it. This afternoon I installed the R&G frame sliders (took about 3.5 hours). Took the bike for a test ride; that is, to see if all the panels were back in as they should be, not to test the frame sliders. I needed to go by the grocery store anyway.

About two miles down the road the brake pad wear indicator light turns on. :confused: I ride for another 5 miles; I didn't know it was that indicator light, but nothing appeared to be about to blow up, so I continued to my destination. After checking the manual and find out which indicator light it is, I go into the store and shop. Get back to the bike, turn it on and find the indicator light is still there.

Start riding. About three miles down the road, approaching a red traffic light I scan the instruments and the indicator light is now out. It stays off the rest of the way home.

Anybody seen something like this? Significant? Could I have pinched a wire messing with the tupperware? Hard to believe the last since I didn't see anything close to how the sides fit on.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hey Doc, it may be just a coincidence re the timing of the frame sliders or you may have given something a nudge.
There is a known fault in the way the brake pad wear sensor cables were originally attached to the bike with small zip ties that were overtightened.
This eventually causes the wire in the cable to deteriorate or break and then the light comes on.
The wire continues to make contact from time to time which is why the light comes on and off.
This is the most likely cause of your problem unless you have knocked something while the panels where off.
If it is what ive suggested your dealer will replace the pads and cables for you.
Good Luck

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indicator light came back on today. I looked and I don't think my messing with the bike had anything to do with it; it is the bad wire and you say. I think I will tape over the light until I get around to getting the wire fixed.

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
DrD said:
Indicator light came back on today. I looked and I don't think my messing with the bike had anything to do with it; it is the bad wire and you say. I think I will tape over the light until I get around to getting the wire fixed.
It's interesting that yours is coming on and going off again. I'd say you probably have a broken wire that is being flaky, and the newer software that resets when it sees a good signal. Then when the connection pulls loose again the light comes back on . . .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine did that on my '06 before it finally broke. You better take a look up front. The wires are very stiff- until you find where iy's broken. I soldered mine back together with shrink wrap too- nice fix until I really need to replace. My '06 has the software where it automatically resets and the light went off just outside my driveway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
GTNewbie

Same problem here, with the pad wear indicator light coming on a week ago, with only 11000 Km on my 2007 K1200 GT.

Into the dealer today, and I am told that the brakes are fine; told to ignore the light!

Apparently the sensor reads a "hole" in the pads, and signals early replacement.

Obviously BMW doesn't care to provide a sensor that actually works properly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
GTNewbie said:
Same problem here, with the pad wear indicator light coming on a week ago, with only 11000 Km on my 2007 K1200 GT.

Into the dealer today, and I am told that the brakes are fine; told to ignore the light!

Apparently the sensor reads a "hole" in the pads, and signals early replacement.

Your dealer is feeding you a bunch of bulls..t. Tell him you don't want to ignore the damn light, you want it fixed. If the system is working correctly, the light will not come on. you have a pinched wire somewhere. I would look very closely around the wire ties. that is usually where the problem is. Do a search you will find many posts about the brake-pad light coming on prematurely.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
GTNewbie said:
Your dealer drinks heavily and is wrong on all accounts.

Mack

·
Registered
646 Posts
GTNewbie said:

=1 on doesn' know what he is talking about. Your wire is broken and needs repaired. Guaranteed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts