BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why BMW uses the pads that they do? It sucks how they cover our wheels with dust so fast. I see some of you switch to other brands but with the cost difference being minimal, I'm thinking there must be a reason BMW sticks with what they have. Maybe rotor life? What up? Do you guys that have switched feel any difference? Have you noticed decreased rotor life?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
pad

milkman said:
Anybody know why BMW uses the pads that they do? It sucks how they cover our wheels with dust so fast. I see some of you switch to other brands but with the cost difference being minimal, I'm thinking there must be a reason BMW sticks with what they have. Maybe rotor life? What up? Do you guys that have switched feel any difference? Have you noticed decreased rotor life?
I just replaced mine for the first time at 36K miles. I went ahead and bought the bmw pads. I nearly fell down when I found out the cost: $150 f&r! But they work very well. I'm pretty sure the brakes are more sensitive and powerful with the new pads. Also, I don't have much brake dust problem. But my wheels are dark.
Mark

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
Brake pads

I replaced mine with the EBC HH pads for the advertised better braking but I must say they look remarkably like the Brembo pads that were OEM on my 04 GT same bronze specs in them and all. Around $75 for all three sets

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just bought the rear pads (BMW) I thought I paid $31.50. How much are the fronts? Are they more than the rears x two? Also I know a lot of people switch brands and they say they are much better. I must not be that skilled of a rider , I have ridden other bikes with the so called better pads and I honestly can't feel a real difference. What am I missing.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I've always stuck with OEM pads. I don't think it's worth the cost of rotors, to find out that an aftermarket pad is trashing the rotors. That said it really pays to shop for OEM parts...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Brake Pads

Had to replace my rear pads at around 8,500 miles. Front pads were ok. Must have hit the rear breaks too much. Replacement cost was around $75 if I remember correct.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
rear brakes

I get about 7-8k miles on my rear pads. With the linked EVO system, your rear set with only one rotar gets used a lot whether you like it or not. Plus all the rear braking in the turns. I was surprised that my last set got 11.5k miles on them, although, I did wwear them down to the metal...

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472&page=2&pp=10

ONON-
Mark

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
brake wear

What are you guys doing, brakes worn at 11000 miles or less! I changed mine at 12000 just for the hell of it and they had over half the pad left front and rear, went to the ebc hh pads, yeah they may wear the rotor but I guess I dont use them as much as some here anyway. 04 K12GT by the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't forget the DP brake pads when you consider replacing the stock pads. (DP for Dunlop).
The part numbers for a 2004GT only are:
front: SDP641HH+
rear: DP608
Available through special order from CycleGear (among other places)
The complete set cost me $130 incl. tax.
DP's claim to fame is being virtually dust free.
I'm just about the install the rear set, so I can't substatiate their claim yet. The stock rear pads definitely suck dustwise.

Steve

·
Registered
186 Posts
Erik said:
I've always stuck with OEM pads. I don't think it's worth the cost of rotors, to find out that an aftermarket pad is trashing the rotors. That said it really pays to shop for OEM parts...
I agree! OEM pads are a bit softer and would minimize your rotors from glazing and wear. The softer pad has less metallic and helps reduce brake squeal. The brake pad backing plate will fit better to your brake calipers than other 'non' OEM brand.

A little dust lets me know it's doing thier job and always providing a good pad surface.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts