BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 K1100LT has just started showing a problem. I am travelling along and without warning the brakes engage slightly - enough to shock - and the warning light comes on and stays on until I depress both front and back. I can then travel for a few seconds, minutes or for the rest of the journey without issue. I can also continue to travel at speed with the light on but feeling like something is not right. I've read threads about the light coming on being solved by changing the rear bulb and I've just done that but the fact that the brakes themselves activate worries me more - any clues?

·
Registered
125 Posts
When was the last time the brake hoses have been replaced.

Have heard of issues with the internal hose lining degrading and acting like a one-way valve not allowing the calipers to release and float.

Just a thought.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
Scott_Anderson said:
When was the last time the brake hoses have been replaced.

Have heard of issues with the internal hose lining degrading and acting like a one-way valve not allowing the calipers to release and float.

Just a thought.
BTDT but I can't see how that would make the brakes engage spontaneously of their own volition. I've never heard of it happening before but if the light's coming on then it MIGHT be a freaky modulator.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Could it be an ABS pump/pumps activating for some reason?

Are the brakes linked on your bike?

I just worked on a pick-up recently that would activate the outlet valves in the ABS and apply just enough of the brakes to get them hot and smoke them without full engagement. Customer only notices the smoke but claims to never notice any slowing of vehicle. (I think she applies more fuel when it slows down without even realizings she is doing it.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be better...

Thanks for replying folks. Since posting I've done three commutes to work (~300 miles) without issue. The night I posted the message I changed the rear lamp (not the brake bulb).

Could there have been something in the warning light ciruitry that was tripping the ABS?

Anyway all appears to be fine now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts