BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard stories of the K1200s/1300s rear end looking like a baboon’s ass. Don’t get me wrong, I love the performance and dependability of the K bikes, owning this one and several k1200r’s, but I have to agree; although the rest of the bike looks awesome, I tend to agree that the rear end looks too long and droopy.

After looking on the web for ideas, and not finding much, I decided to do my own tail chop aka, Brazilian butt lift. I made a custom bracket out of aluminum to hold a 2015 R1200r brake light. I was originally going to try and S1000rr tail, but it was way too small, and would require mods to the subframe. In addition to the R1200r brake light, I had R1200r tail fairings, but that too was too much work (for me). After trimming down the tail and grab rails, I was able to make it work. I still need to trim the piece behind the license plate and add filler pieces under the passenger seat. Should be easy enough with 90% of the work done.

The license plate is on a hinge to access the lock for the seat.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks pretty good. I thought the aftermarket brake light already has a built in license plate light. My after market LED brake light has it built in. Great idea, none the less.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have smaller license plates than the euro type here in aus.
I just moved the plate up higher.
I don't mind how the back looks - at least I have never seen anything I like more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, since you asked ...

I have to agree with Mattias_r. It's not something I would have done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear tail

Thanks for your honest feedback. I did some additional modifications with a K1200r tail. I still need to figure out what to do with the filler under the seat. I've had pretty good luck with fleabay on parts (whole r tail was <$50), and I can always return it back to factory for about $20 with a new/used K1200s tail.

Does anyone know the P/N's or where to get the K1200/1300s grabrails with the extension for the back rack. I looked up and down, but can't find them. I know they exist, as i've seen pics.

Comments are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Mattias, but the rear grab rail looks like the standard one that won't accommodate the luggage rack. The one you have quoted looks different from the pic below:
Circled in read.

This IS what you are looking for. It says for vehicles with luggagerack, the rack is sold separatly as you see in the links in the previous post.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grab bars

Were are you located? i have a complete set of rack and grabhandles on the shelf, i use a sw motech grabhandles and rack so i can fit my givi v46.
Thanks for the clarification, I'm located in San Jose, Ca. I have a complete set from a K1200r, so I would just need the grab rails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm done modifying. I picked up some used grab rails for <$80. I think it came out OK.

·
Registered
31 Posts
fraktv,
Looks good;
If you have the stock grab rails, I would be interested in purchasing them.
Only need the right one really.
I am in San Jose CA also :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a set, but am planning to have them with my bike when I decide to sell it. Peoples tastes are different, so this look may not appeal to all. I placed an ad a few months ago and BerettaRacer replied a few months back saying he had a set. You may want to IM him. Here are some additional shots of my bike...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts