BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some about a late vs early build date.
What is considered a 'late' build date for the '08s? The service dept. told me that my production date is 09-08. Is this considered a late?
I was also told that all the components are up-to-date. I was mainly asking about the airbox. Being built 09-08, is it safe to presume that my airbox is the latest version (so far) ? :ghug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
09-08 seems really late to me, esecially since we haven't got there yet. :teeth I'm guessing you misspoke, and meant 09-07, which I believe would make it an early build date. Production for the next model year starts in September, I believe, and August if they really are in a hurry.

If the build date was 09-07, I would assume the airbox is the old version. I've seen reports on 01-08 builds with the old airbox.

Could you guys who actually know what they're talking about confirm?
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Normally, August is a holiday month for Germany. So September starts the new model year builds (September '07 for model year '08 bikes). Because demand has been so high the past few years, BMW has been offering worker incentives to start production of the next model year in August.

The only way to be sure you have the latest airbox and software is to check the VIN against the Service Bulletin.

If your K1200GT VIN is after ZN47596 then you have the new airbox and software. If your VIN is before that, then you need to see your dealer about an upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
howfly said:
09-08 seems really late to me, esecially since we haven't got there yet. :teeth I'm guessing you misspoke, and meant 09-07, which I believe would make it an early build date. Production for the next model year starts in September, I believe, and August if they really are in a hurry.

If the build date was 09-07, I would assume the airbox is the old version. I've seen reports on 01-08 builds with the old airbox.

Could you guys who actually know what they're talking about confirm?
Maybe 09-08 means "Septemeber 8th" and not "Septemeber 2008?" The build sheet for my 2007 GT was pretty specific about the build day. I bought my bike in April 2007 and the build date was Feb, 13th 2007 if I remember correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
PUREBRAD said:
Maybe 09-08 means "Septemeber 8th" and not "Septemeber 2008?" The build sheet for my 2007 GT was pretty specific about the build day. I bought my bike in April 2007 and the build date was Feb, 13th 2007 if I remember correctly.
Speaking of build sheets. Why, when you order a bike, does it not arrive exactly like you ordered. My bike arrived, I think, but with grey seat instead of black and tall shield instead of short. I've read other posts where folks have had similar experiences. Why???

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Meese said:
The only way to be sure you have the latest airbox and software is to check the VIN against the Service Bulletin.

If your K1200GT VIN is after ZN47596 then you have the new airbox and software. If your VIN is before that, then you need to see your dealer about an upgrade.
What's the VIN ??

Where do you go to find it;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
VIN is the vehicle identification number, among other things it's used by Police once the thief who stole your bike took your plates off. This VIN number allows police to figure out who owns the bike. Anyway The Vin is stamped on the frame, but the easiest place to find it is your registration, and or vehicle title. It starts with the letters WB, and ends with a series of sequential production numbers right after the letters ZN. The numbers you will be interested in are something like ZN47145.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top