BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rode my 04 kgt(20k miles) over to my dealer in tampa today. there was some oil mist below the boot on the rear end, just wanted to check it out. so the service mgr looks it over real close. immediately says i either have a front or rear seal blown in rear end. then he looks closer and finds some seepage in cases between engine and clutch. "is your clutch slipping".......i answer "no". "looks like main seal blown there too". two day job, they will probably have the bike a week. i'm so dissappointed...........i luv the bike so much. ride it real easy. i'm looking at a new '06 330i currently. it's got me wondering about bmw quality. i guess this just luck of the draw. if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this. i'm stumped. does the model have a history of bad seals.? i just bought it new in april '05.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Bill
Bad deal!! You probably run your bike as hard as 90% of the people here do(regardless of what is said on some posts). Let us know how much gets covered by the warranty.
Bruce C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Germans are known for their engineering. Japanese are know for their (boring) reliability...I believe this applies to both cars and bikes and base it on my own experience as well as what I've read. I think that even american cars have passed german cars for reliability (only). Remember everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't want to offend anyone or start an argument. I currently own 2 BMW cars (740i and M3) and 2 BMW motorcycles (R1100RS and K1200RS) and I'm not planning to get rid of them (well, the cars are going away in the divorce but I'm not getting rid of them for reliability reasons). --Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
To answer your question, I've read that the seals are a common problem with this bike. I've not had any issues with mine in 14K miles, but some do, and others go upwards of 50-70K before this shows up. I think yours may be a unique situation. At least the service manager acknowledged it and is taking care of it.

BMW car reliability isn't perfect - but in my honest opinion, good enough given the other qualities. I have an X5 in my stable that's had a few bugs, but nothing major that would scare me away. My next 2-wheel and 4-wheel purchases will still be Beemers. If you like the 330, I'd say go for it and enjoy. I've driven one myself and it is an awesome car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good attitude

that's the attitude i'm taking. let them fix it under warranty, the service mgr at euro motors of tampabay(todd) was very professional explaining they would take care of it under warranty. so be it.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
billbeemer said:
rode my 04 kgt(20k miles) over to my dealer in tampa today. there was some oil mist below the boot on the rear end, just wanted to check it out. so the service mgr looks it over real close. immediately says i either have a front or rear seal blown in rear end. then he looks closer and finds some seepage in cases between engine and clutch. "is your clutch slipping".......i answer "no". "looks like main seal blown there too". two day job, they will probably have the bike a week. i'm so dissappointed...........i luv the bike so much. ride it real easy. i'm looking at a new '06 330i currently. it's got me wondering about bmw quality. i guess this just luck of the draw. if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this. i'm stumped. does the model have a history of bad seals.? i just bought it new in april '05.....
It's a common problem. I have had the seals on the forks go last year. (First 2 years of my bike it lived in Florida, heat did the damage there). Now my rear seal is leaking, but not blown, should be a $200 fix..... I have 30K miles on my 02 RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
ride it real easy.
if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this.

Don't ride it easy they aren't built for that. I'm not sure what "Raw-Dogged" means
but I guess it means beating on the bike? Big difference between abusing the bike and riding like it was meant to be ridden. BMW's like to see red line now and then. Seems that most of the bikes that have problems are the ones that get babied..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Welcome to the club...

billbeemer said:
rode my 04 kgt(20k miles) over to my dealer in tampa today. there was some oil mist below the boot on the rear end, just wanted to check it out. so the service mgr looks it over real close. immediately says i either have a front or rear seal blown in rear end. then he looks closer and finds some seepage in cases between engine and clutch. "is your clutch slipping".......i answer "no". "looks like main seal blown there too". two day job, they will probably have the bike a week. i'm so dissappointed...........i luv the bike so much. ride it real easy. i'm looking at a new '06 330i currently. it's got me wondering about bmw quality. i guess this just luck of the draw. if i had raw-dogged the bike, it would be different, but i cruise around 70-80 and never wind it tight. i keep wondering if there were anything i could have done to prevent this. i'm stumped. does the model have a history of bad seals.? i just bought it new in april '05.....
My bike in nearly done with repairs for same issues. Clutch front seal, rear seal and valve covers. Warranty work. Now is the time to have any extra wiring done or service for aftermarket stuff as long as he'll be pulling tanny and everything off the bike. That's what I did with mine (03K12RS w/ approx 23k mi.). Pains me to see failure rate on the K1200, always thought these things were bullet-proof. Guess quality control in Germany has taken a dump on this for the later models (though my dealer stated only about 5% have this issue from this dealership). Personally I'd suspect the percentage to be closer to 10% from this forum's postings. Maybe all their engineers were too busy bustin' a nut trying to get the K1200s r gt motors for '05 and '06 to be too concerned about the production lines cranking out the last of the "old style motors" or unloading inventory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Regardless ............

brucecha said:
Bill
Bad deal!! You probably run your bike as hard as 90% of the people here do(regardless of what is said on some posts). Let us know how much gets covered by the warranty.
Bruce C
Well, I guess my posts are bullshit then. Either that, or I am a nutcase. I hit the rev limiter almost every time I go out, and it doesn't start purring until 100. Never encountered a problem yet, some call me anal about checking/maintaining my bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Rear main seal leak

I just got my 2000 K1200RS with 40K out of the shop after they found a leak in the rear seal. They had to remove the transmission (12.5 hours of labor) and install a $16 piece and $2 washer. $900+ later I'm back on the road. Ouch!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
i ride my 03 RS pretty hard although I don't beat the shit out of it, i had one seal that involved the drive shaft go but was replaced under warrenty and was discovered while they were fixing the timing cover leak, which by the way i've had fixed three times by two different dealerships. overall i've been very happy with my RS but seals failing, oil leaks, slave cylinder leaks all make me question BMW's committment to quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Ever seen the pics of a German drinking beer out of a stein? Beer running out of their mouths and off the chin? But they be having a good time! Same idea on the bikes I think, you cant be having fun if its not leaking. Love my bike, but its like a male dog,got to mark its territory.Fork seals, a little weep out of front cover, anti freeze leak, now a fuel leak form the tank.Seems to be a common problem on the K bikes, fluids dont stay put.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
size matters!

When considering the K1200RS you should not forget that the engine started as a 987cc, low compression machine. It was bored out to the present 1171cc's but with the price of a lesser reliability. The present engine is placed in rubbers because of the shaking it does - not good, the older engines were bolted to the frame directly. In Holland somebody has a K100 with over 700.000km's (yes, 437k miles) on it. Second engine, as BMW Holland replaced the first engine free of charge, after just over 200k miles. They took it apart to check on the engine and the components. After inspection they said it would have run at least an other 50K miles without problems.
BTW: the guy goes to bike-meetings every weekend and cleans the machine twice a year.
I've had several BMW cars and they were nice to drive but certainly not reliable. Now that I come to think of it: it was usually the components from other maufacturers that went - doorlocks (twice), broken belt for driving the camshafts (cost me 8 valves) and a lot more of this stuff. After the BMW's I had a Subaru Impreza GT for 125k miles: not comfy, but very reliable, certainly if you know how fast I drive.
If you want a reliable bike go for the older versions, K100, K75. If you want the looks and linear power from the 1200 accept the fact that this is not the best quality.

If you want really reliable: Toyota Corolla (diesel).

Kind regards,
Frits van Straten.
 

·
No bogey's twist wrist
Joined
·
619 Posts
bullshit posts

RedHawK12GT said:
Well, I guess my posts are bullshit then. Either that, or I am a nutcase. I hit the rev limiter almost every time I go out, and it doesn't start purring until 100. Never encountered a problem yet, some call me anal about checking/maintaining my bike.
Got to go with you on this one, I don't flog the bike as in jackrabbit starts and stops, but I am on my 4th set of tires in 15000 miles and do bounce it off the rev limiter in 4 gears frequently. Got the citations to prove it. The bike eats tires but the seals and gaskets seem intact at this time. I use synthetic oil in everything and change it every 3000 miles religously. If it starts weeping on a regular basis its gone no excuse for it on a bike this expensive no matter who makes it. The tire expense alone is prohibitive enough without bullshit dealer costs from poor engineering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
I'm curious, if it's the seals that are failing, would it really be a fault that could be pinned on BMW? Assuming that the seals aren't being subjected to stresses exceeding their known limits, wouldn't the manufacturer of the part be the deserving recipient of knuckle-rapping?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
jimmm said:
Love my bike, but its like a male dog,got to mark its territory.
Yeah. I had my dogs fixed and they still leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
jimmm said:
Ever seen the pics of a German drinking beer out of a stein? Beer running out of their mouths and off the chin? But they be having a good time! Same idea on the bikes I think, you cant be having fun if its not leaking. Love my bike, but its like a male dog,got to mark its territory.Fork seals, a little weep out of front cover, anti freeze leak, now a fuel leak form the tank.Seems to be a common problem on the K bikes, fluids dont stay put.
and a steering damper at 6200 miles. The bike was 6 years old at this time so maybe milage isnt an issue. It's a 98 with 17,000 on it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Bill,
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm at about 31k and haven't had any serious problems (timing cover leak, front rotors got replaced, slightly warped and the ECU changed)... You've put some miles in that thing in a relatively short time. I'm in the Tampa (Lutz) area too. Also bought my '03GT out on Gunn Hwy. If you ever want to go for a ride or possibly travel together to a rally, drop me a PM.
Good luck with your repairs and hope your back on the road sooner than later.
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
make sure they check the gear box breather....seen bad breathers and just a little dirt in them will clog....causing press when the gear box heats up and causing the seal lip to open up and leak....can change them all day...and still keep getting a leak
 

·
"DELIVERS"
Joined
·
870 Posts
BAK04GT said:
make sure they check the gear box breather....seen bad breathers and just a little dirt in them will clog....causing press when the gear box heats up and causing the seal lip to open up and leak....can change them all day...and still keep getting a leak
Where exactly is that breather hole?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top