BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here! I used to have an 87 K100rs, which was awesome, but a combination of low seat, rs position/bars, and poor finances prompted me to sell it. There is a really good deal on an 85 K100RS (without fairing), 68k miles, well serviced, many upgrades (steel brakelines, ohlin shock, corbin seat) for $1700 from a respected local dealer. The bike was at $3000, but the consignee bought a new bike and is blowing the bike out. Is it worth it at this price, given that i'll want to put higher bars on, some kind of windscreen, and (eventually) system cases? Or should i hold out for something with these features and pay more? Thanks! The bike also has a supertrapp and goes like a bat out of hell and shifts beautifully...

·
Registered
186 Posts
In my opinion, the bike is still 20 years old with 68k miles. Since it's even missing parts, there is no value. ( book value that is). If it doesn't even have all the accessories you want, I sure wouldn't spend 'more' money on it.

Perhaps you could take that money and put it towards a newer model with a bit more bells and whistles.

Welcome to the forum.:)

·
Registered
768 Posts
motormike said:
Hi, new member here! I used to have an 87 K100rs, which was awesome, but a combination of low seat, rs position/bars, and poor finances prompted me to sell it. There is a really good deal on an 85 K100RS (without fairing), 68k miles, well serviced, many upgrades (steel brakelines, ohlin shock, corbin seat) for $1700 from a respected local dealer. The bike was at $3000, but the consignee bought a new bike and is blowing the bike out. Is it worth it at this price, given that i'll want to put higher bars on, some kind of windscreen, and (eventually) system cases? Or should i hold out for something with these features and pay more? Thanks! The bike also has a supertrapp and goes like a bat out of hell and shifts beautifully...

I would spend a bit more and buy a used K1200RS. Early models can be had for $5k and up. Much better use of funds. I sold my K100RT which as an 85 for almost $4k and traded for an 02 RS 2 years ago. Good deal, but you cannot compare the difference in technology. My 2cs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Here's the link for another bike close by, seems like a much better deal. He's willing to let it go for $2100. If i had $5000 to spend, of course i buy up. There's a 93 k1100 here for $4200, but i ain't got the dough. Seems like he's resolved any known issues on this bike and maintenance is verifiable, as it was done locally.

http://longwayshome.net/K100RT.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts