BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I wonder if anybody has any opinion on the purchase of demo bikes which are usually lot cheaper than a brand new one. I've found two bikes on sales so far and they both have about 850 miles at the price of around $14K-15K. (ESA, ABS, Heated grip)

What are the disadvantages in buying them as compared to buying a brand new one?

Any comment will be appreciated!! Thanks!

Aviator_JPN

·
Registered
433 Posts
Aviator_JPN said:
Hi all!

I wonder if anybody has any opinion on the purchase of demo bikes which are usually lot cheaper than a brand new one. I've found two bikes on sales so far and they both have about 850 miles at the price of around $14K-15K. (ESA, ABS, Heated grip)

What are the disadvantages in buying them as compared to buying a brand new one?

Any comment will be appreciated!! Thanks!

Aviator_JPN
I suspect most demos are ridden hard. If you think a bike should be broken in gently (according to the manual) I would stay away from a demo. Even if was not abused you'll never know and, therefore, never have peace of mind. On the other hand, if you think a bike should be broken in hard...oh well same issue in reverse.

I personally would not buy and demo, car or bike. I like to know how its been treated from the beginning.

Ken

·
Registered
107 Posts
It depends on what you buy. If you are getting the type of bike (or car) likely to be test-driven by an elderly gentlemen who has no need for speed or sportiness, a demo is worth buying. For a rocket ship like K1200S - well you can imagine the type of potential riders and joy-ride petrol heads and who want to test-ride it and hence will be ridden hard (I won't be surprised if some will even try to wheelie when out of sight of the dealers).

·
Registered
12 Posts
demo...

I would personally stay away from any demo for the reasons listed above. Break-in is critical for the logevity of the engine. I feel this is the most important time in the life of the engine.

Pete

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it all, but then I dont buy into the baby it on the break in theories.
Ive seen to many broken in by the book bikes burn oil for the rest of their lives.
The bike comes with full warranty and support of BMW just as every other bike bought new. Go for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For what it's worth...

I purchased my 1999 K1200 RS as a demo with 2,000 miles on it from Westchester BMW in July of 2000. I currently have 40,000 miles on the bike with no problems
I was one of the"joy riding petrol heads" that flogged the sh*t out of my bike before I bought it
The bike came with a warranty, but I never had to use it

·
Registered
72 Posts
My current bike is the K1200LT, it was a demo, and I've had it over a year and a half and had O warranty claims on it other than fogged windshield which was replaced under warranty..

Best bike I've ever had, not even a scuff on it..............Regards Pete

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a demo.

I bought a demo K1200S last May. First of all it was the policy of my dealer to have all demo rides accompanied by someone from the dealer. ( At least the demo rides on the K1200S.) There is a misconception that the more gentle the break-in the better. This is not the case. There needs to be enough pressure on the rings to seat them. There are two types of riding which will result in a poor engine later on. One: Too gentle. The worst is cruising at 60 on the freeway with constant low throttle. There is too little gas pressure against the rings and the cylinder walls glaze and the rings never establish a good seal. The engine will have high oil consumption. The only fix is to re-hone the cylinders and install new rings and start break-in all over again. Two: Too severe. That is, prolonged large throttle openings and high RPMs. The as yet unpolished rough surfaces generate too much heat and minute spot-welding occurs causing galling and scoring of surfaces. Again not a good engine.

A good break-in involves a lot of variety, short bursts, up and down through the gears, gradually increasing RPMs and the duration of the bursts until the required milage. This is exactly the type of riding that occurs on supervised demo rides, up and down through the gears in short bursts with little, if any, freeway crusing.

My K1200S uses little oil and that use is decreasing. Realistically how many of us have run a motorcycle engine to the point it begins wearing out? Engines are better than ever. I have yet to wear out a modern motorcycle engine.

Love my S.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Demo

know the dealer,did they service it as caller for,tires,oil,etc.if it is a good dealer and the bike and the deal somethig you are looking for go for it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
K1200s

Don't worry about it..just ask the dealer to throw in an extended warranty in the deal. Most likely, if your like me, you'll ride the snot out of it after you get it anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the comments.

It is going to be a hard decision! This is like choosing a wife, right ;) You don't know who broke-in and how. Some have trauma from break-in procedure and will never be cured even with the extended warranty provided. :(

But anyway, definitely I will get an extended warranty for demo bikes and check the dealers carefully if I decide to go with the demo/used bikes.

I will let you know the outcome!!

Thanks!!

Aviator_JPN

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
Buell S2 Thunderbolt

I bought an S2 Buell as a demo with 1500 miles on it. I knew the sales guy, who said that he had put the first 500 miles on it in keeping with the instructions from the factory. Although the bike itself had lots of reliability problems (try having the front motor mounts break at 75 mph), I don't think any were caused by abuse as a demo. Most were caused by the honking vibration from the motor, which shook everything apart.

Probably what people worry about most about a demo is that some kid has over-revved it and torn things up in the motor. That didn't happen on the Buell. That bike was all torque, and it started to run out of breath at higher revs, but before redline, so to really move it down the road you shifted before redline.

I would probably buy another demo. Hey, the first four bikes I owned were used, and seven of my total of 9 lifetime. So if it works when you test-ride it, chances are it will work when you get it home. Go for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Turkey, BMW dealers put first 600 miles on demo bikes before they give it for test rides. I got two K1200S test rides in States , both dealers accompanied.

On the other hand, I framed up my wheelies on test 1200GS's and 1200R's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bronston said:
I bought a demo K1200S last May. First of all it was the policy of my dealer to have all demo rides accompanied by someone from the dealer. ( At least the demo rides on the K1200S.) There is a misconception that the more gentle the break-in the better. This is not the case. There needs to be enough pressure on the rings to seat them. There are two types of riding which will result in a poor engine later on. One: Too gentle. The worst is cruising at 60 on the freeway with constant low throttle. There is too little gas pressure against the rings and the cylinder walls glaze and the rings never establish a good seal. The engine will have high oil consumption. The only fix is to re-hone the cylinders and install new rings and start break-in all over again. Two: Too severe. That is, prolonged large throttle openings and high RPMs. The as yet unpolished rough surfaces generate too much heat and minute spot-welding occurs causing galling and scoring of surfaces. Again not a good engine.

A good break-in involves a lot of variety, short bursts, up and down through the gears, gradually increasing RPMs and the duration of the bursts until the required milage. This is exactly the type of riding that occurs on supervised demo rides, up and down through the gears in short bursts with little, if any, freeway crusing.

My K1200S uses little oil and that use is decreasing. Realistically how many of us have run a motorcycle engine to the point it begins wearing out? Engines are better than ever. I have yet to wear out a modern motorcycle engine.

Love my S.
I agree

·
Registered
2 Posts
:D Bought my local dealer's demo K12S last fall with ~3k miles on it. Now have over 6k miles. Its perfect; no problems. I have a very good relationship with the dealer and I know how it was treated. Yup, everyone rides demos fast; however, this dealer accompanies everyone on the test ride. Nothing done in which I wouldn't participate! IF you have a good relationship with your dealer and they have a rep for honesty, I wouldn't hesitate a bit. Its a great way to save $1-2K on a wonderful bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2 demo bikes

I have 2 demo bikes,K1200LT,and K1200S both of which were demo bikes the only problem so far was a cracked fuel rail on the LT but warranty took care of it, I say let someone else take the depreciation and you make the best deal on bikes (BMW) which include warranty,BMW bikes are built to ride so quit worrying and BUY IT and RIDE .

Later

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought a demo K1200R with 750 miles on it. So I did not have to break it in, pay for the 600mi maintence which I would not have done anyway. Plus it took off over $2000 of the price and I only lost six months of the warranty

hell yea

·
Registered
293 Posts
tward said:
Don't worry about it..just ask the dealer to throw in an extended warranty in the deal. Most likely, if your like me, you'll ride the snot out of it after you get it anyway.
@ Tward - Damn boy thats one seriously abused "witches hat"

Regarding the demo bike the suggestion to get the dealer to include an extended warranty sounds fair. Give it some stick after purchase and whatever breaks - have it fixed under warranty. Its got a rev limiter hasn't it so its really only transmission issues if anything.

Lenz

·
Registered
408 Posts
Buying Demo Bikes. Advise needed!

I purchased my 2004 K1200GT as a demo - it had 640 miles on it. Bought it from a good dealer and have not had problems. bike and dealer have been great.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Buying demos or preowned

I am sure you can find some great demo bikes out there but you will still be paying a premium. Why don't you buy a preowned bike from a private party with low mileage and still under warranty? Personally, I refuse to buy a new bike no matter what the brand is. There are so many garage queens out there in the market there is absolutely no reason to buy a brand new bike and take the HUGE depreciation hit and the HUGE sales tax hit as you drive it off the lot. I have purchased 3 BMW's, all preowned, with less than 4K miles on all of them for an average savings of 30% off list price. That equates to thousands of $$$ in savings since 1993. Dollars I can use to put accessories on my rides. I just had a buddy buy an 02 K1200RS with 12K miles on it for $7.5K. That bike new is about $17K and it is only 4 years old. How can you beat that? Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts