1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have heard similar words from my buddies over onthe AVD rider board.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
186 Posts
Razel said:
Saturday had the tires mounted. Tuesday, 60 miles on the tires, and the bike felt "funny". First flat...brought the tire the service dept. for a valve stem replacement. 10 minutes later, all done, no charge.

Nice place. Really nice.
Did you have the tire replaced at Cal-BMW? Did they forget to replace the valve stem at the time of replacing the tire? :rolleyes: Can't complain, I bought my '04KRS from them. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Razel said:
Saturday had the tires mounted. Tuesday, 60 miles on the tires, and the bike felt "funny". First flat...brought the tire the service dept. for a valve stem replacement. 10 minutes later, all done, no charge.

Nice place. Really nice.
Did you purchase the tire at Cal-BMW? Did they forget to replace the stem at time of changing the tire?:rolleyes: I bought my KRS from Cal-BMW, can't complain.:D

·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
264 Posts
Razel said:
Well, my "guess" would be they don't replace them each time because the motorcycle tires last 10k while the automobile tires last 80k. They're not stressed during tire changes other than being the gateway for air each change.

The metal 90° valve stems are interesting, though. Especially for the front wheel, where access to the valve stem competes with the rotors.
On my sports car I only got about 15k on a set of tires and sometimes considered telling them not to change the valve stems as I just thought they were trying to make a little extra money on me. I really enjoy the 90 deg valvestems but with the smart tire I never have to check the air pressure so I'm not down there very often.

--Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Razel said:
The metal 90° valve stems are interesting, though. Especially for the front wheel, where access to the valve stem competes with the rotors.
If you're speaking of the aluminum 90 degree ones as sold by Wunderlich, I wouldn't do it.
What happens when a rock or piece of road debris hits that and snaps it off?
YOU are [email protected]@@cked. and quickly.
Roadside service to the rescue and a good days ride shot to hell.
I would rather deal with getting my hands a little dirty and if necessary using the brass 90 degree adapter that BMW sells for around $12.00
You take it off after you've checked the tires.
Robert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Whoops

I just realized how old this thread is, but it doesn't change my experienced opinion about the permanent 90 degree stems.
RV

·
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts