BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here passed the California motorcycle driving test on a k-1200rs/gt? I have 20,000 miles on mine and consider myself to be pretty good at manuvering, but that test is a bruser...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could and probably will, but my question still stands; has anyone done it or think they can? I'm taking it as a personal challenge =)

·
Registered
186 Posts
tfkelly said:
I could and probably will, but my question still stands; has anyone done it or think they can? I'm taking it as a personal challenge =)
Years ago..I failed my test on a 80cc scooter with automatic transmission, :D . Went home to get my new VFR750 ( my first bike with a clutch ) and retested the next day. I passed.

I think it is very possible. Though the bike 'is' longer......

·
It janitor
342 Posts
tfkelly said:
I have tried to do it on an LT, but gave up after I saw that they asked things that are physically impossible on an LT (Not even if you pushed it). Did the whole thing on a borrowed 250 and called it a day.

I second Raffy. Do it on a smaller bike, Much less hassle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
K12RS for road test

I recently attempted to do the figure eight on my K12RS in the box used for the Maryland test and couldn't do it. I had no problem on an 1150r and an 1150gs just recently. It is a longer bike. I think with a bit more practice I could have done it.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
better idea....

tfkelly said:
Has anyone here passed the California motorcycle driving test on a k-1200rs/gt? I have 20,000 miles on mine and consider myself to be pretty good at manuvering, but that test is a bruser...
Take and pass the MSF class and you don't have to take the driving test at the DMV...only the written test.....win/win!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took it at the MSF class in 1998 on my then new hopped-up HD Wide Glide. Passed but damn near burned up a clutch. Would be fun to see what my 06 R1200RT would be like, maybe I am due a refresher class.

Try to find a 250cc or something about that size - Good Luck

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I'll bet there are no takers

I'll wager some money with anyone who says they can find someone who has taken and passed that test on a K1200RS/GT. I'm willing to believe the turning radius of an RS makes it theoretically possible (Is it? Even that is an interesting question), but I would be absolutely astounded if anyone actually took the test for real in front of a DMV official and passed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're talking about the experienced riders class I presume.

FWIW, I've seen people do it on Gold Wings. Amazing to say the least. Of course some dropped theirs.
I did it with a passenger on a 600 cc sport bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually have been there a couple times after hours to practce, but droppet her (gently) both times....

·
Registered
651 Posts
Personally, I think the "keyhole" test used in CA is nonsense. The typical advice is to get a smaller bike in order to pass, but the bike that the applicant intends to ride/ends up riding usually ends up being bigger and not as maneuverable. I mean, isn't the idea of the test to evaluate whether the applicant can handle the machine he/her intends to ride?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I took my KRS to the local DMV on a Saturday just to try the course. After damn near dropping the thing a couple of times, I quit and rode on to things more fun. Like hwy#74 over to Palm Desert

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I Took A Test In Nh....thank God I Had Taken The Gt To The Shop And Was Using A Loaner F 650. Lot Was Covered In Sand And Full Of Frost Heaves 2 Bikes Went Over It Was The First Test Of The Riding Season Couldnt Understand Why They Did Nt Clean The Lot?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Please give more detailed description of the driving test for those of us that don't know whay you are talking about.

I have had a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license since 1968, from Louisiana. Moved to Texas in 1973 and they just carried over that endersement. I don't remember ever taking a mc driving test.

Ron

·
Registered
351 Posts
MC Driver test in WI

Here in WI, they make you drive on city streets and follow behind in a car. Prior to leaving parking lot they hook you up with a radio and earphone and test that you can hear their commands with helmet on.

On the road they expect to see alot of head movement when crossing controlled and uncontrolled intersections (turn of head to left & right) even when driving by alleyways (roadways bisecting propery lines, usually in middle of city block).

They also ask you to demonstrate hand signals for part of testing (no bird flips). My first attempt ended in a fail when I didn't make enough of head turn according to the instructor (only turned my head about 45 degrees each way instead of closer to 90). I think it's really because the first tester didn't like my bike (her first comment when she saw the bike, new dark blue 84 K100RS with black tinted screen was "that's one mean looking bike"). I had to wait 2 weeks to retest. This was back in the mid-1980's

I retested and passed. 2 blocks from home I was smacked by a Mercedes at an intersetion. Took the whole summer to recover and get bike restored. Bike was totaled in mid-90's by a Buick. Here in WI, you don't have to retest, and I purchased my 03 K1200 RS without having to test at again.

I'm not sure that they expect the same now, though it's unlikely to have changed much.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Here in WI, they make you drive on city streets and follow behind in a car.
Now this is how it should be done - under real-world conditions.

I think it's really because the first tester didn't like my bike (her first comment when she saw the bike, new dark blue 84 K100RS with black tinted screen was "that's one mean looking bike").
Would it have been appropriate to lodge an objection with the DMV supervisory staff upon hearing this comment? I probably would have, if she didn't look like she was joking.

The head-turning thing, well, I guess the tester didn't know that eyeballs swivel also... :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The CA test is something like this:

The course looks alot like an old fashion key hole with a line of about 4 cones and a cricle. The cones are about 10 -12 feet apart. The circle is slightly larger than my GT turning radious and is about 2 feet wide. You can not touch the ground or go outside the painted circle track:

1. Manuver through the cones going to the left of the first cone
2. Circle twice
3. Go back out through the cones again
4 Turn around
5. Go back through the cones again, this time to the right of the first cone
6. Circle twice in the oposite direction
7. Go back out through the cones again

Done!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts