BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I got stopped today by a Los Angeles County Sherriff. My brother's FZ1 has blinking LED running lights that go solid when you hit the brakes. This was the initial reason for the stop. He has a bobbed rear fender and the license plate up against the tail light like most guys are doing. The deputy said that they have been instructed to start enforcing lighting and reflector mods to motorcycles. Here is the bad part. It is no longer a simple fix-it ticket. It now carries a fine and return to stock ticket. He stated a burned out light is a fix-it ticket. A modification is deliberately changing a DOT approved lighting system. This will include clear lenses that are after market. We spoke for about 15 minutes and the officer kept pointing to my KRS as an example of what a stock bike should look like including the stock exhaust system. (He checked out both of our pipes) The Deputy said that many young riders are modifying their bikes and the LEO's are starting to enforce vehicle codes aggressively. He said anything other than paint jobs will get scutinized for violations. He was pretty cool about the whole thing and let us two older guys 2 miles from home off with a warning but said that my brother should think about going back to the stock lights to avoid another chance for a ticket. Food for thought for any California riders. We were not speeding and the only thing he saw was the blinking tail light as he passed us going the other way. This was enough to come and chase us down and give Bro a warning. I have LED running lights and a blinking brake light. He said there were legal (like pumping your brakes) because they showed you were indeed braking. The running lights blinking are subject to confusion as to what a rider intends to do. I did not agree or disagree with what he had to say. He just wanted us to know a crack down on mods to bikes are underway.

·
Registered
196 Posts
GreEeAaAt!....well looks like im screwed, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
it's commiefornia and nothing those dumb shits do surprise me, very beautiful state to visit but i wouldn't want to live there.

·
Registered
650 Posts
He was pretty cool about the whole thing and let us two older guys 2 miles from home off with a warning but..
Any particular reason why the warning included you?

I'd wait to see what happens over a period of time before putting any credence into what you were told about an increased enforcement regime down there, as they tend to tail off over the long haul. Hassling people over pipes that aren't bothering anybody (read: not loud) is a waste of time, especially in southern CA, where there are other bigger problems to worry about.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
why would you want blinking running lights for?.......have to have the mentality of cages......dont need to confuse them more than they already are....could you imagine blinking running lights with ring tones shit .....but really have to think like them.... :confused: ...there all in there own little world....phones ,gps, dvd player, shaver makeup, ..and if there reading the NY TIMES you know there f%#^&#

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stand corrected. I should have said he let my brother off with a warning and we took off riding. He found nothing wrong with my KRS. It was 100% DOT compliant. I guess I won't be buying that REMUS exhaust I wanted. As for the blinking lights, The bulbs have around 7 LED's and they illuminate one at a time and basically make a rotating circle. There is a running light on at all times but it shows light movement. Illegal.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. I asked and showed the officer mine. I have the circuit board LED aftermarket set up. He said the running lights (solid) were fine and the blinking (increasing speed to a solid light) brake light was OK. Like I stated before,it is no different than pumping your brakes and flashing your brakes light manually. I got this exact set up. It's legal by what he explained. My set up uses the stock OEM lenses.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Blkvelvt said:
It was 100% DOT compliant.
The bike or the exhaust? If he was referring to the exhaust, he's full of it. Look at the stock exhaust - there's no reference to any DOT regulation stamped on it. There is, however, a reference to EPA noise requirements about what bike that particular exhaust is suited for.

Blkvelvt said:
I guess I won't be buying that REMUS exhaust I wanted.
If you were adventurous, you could buy it and install it anyway. If you get pulled over and ticketed, but the officer doesn't bother measuring the sound output in the process and assumes that since it isn't stock it's against the law, he could be taken to court - the onus is on him to prove the law is being violated, and the mere existence of an aftermarket part on a bike is not evidence of such.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The bike was DOT compliant. The exhaust system is stamped in front of the chrome sleeve, it is tamper proof (one piece) and has a catalyst. This is an approved system by DOT, CARB, and BMW. The user would be responsible to prove an aftermarket exhaust is CARB certified. I'll keep it stock for now. I've already been pulled over once and checked.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/motcycle/onrdmc.htm

Read the part about motorcycles after 1978

·
Registered
370 Posts
I may be wrong here (won't be the first, or last time), but the blinking light thing, unless it is as a brake indicator, seems to conflict with emergency vehicles....thus the problem. I think that the LEO's are trying to enforce the existing code. Blinking lights equal emergency, so running such while in transit is confusing. I did see a Hardley with hypnotic blue/purple lights on his license plate(not blinking). Seemed illegal (and may be) but it sure got my attention and made me think about mounting some on my bike. We need to be seen to stay alive, it's all about visibility. Cheers.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Blkvelvt said:
The user would be responsible to prove an aftermarket exhaust is CARB certified.
That doesn't sound right. In this country, aren't we supposed to be innocent until proven guilty?

I'd be interested in seeing what the violation details are for somone cited as part of this "crackdown", as it sounds to me like just another harassment campaign.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just had my bike inspected (last week) by the CA DMV for registration (bought the bike fom out of state). Anyway the bike has clear turn signal lenses, which BMW puts on at the factory, and a Laser exhaust. The bike passed DMV inspection. You would think if there was a crack down the first place they would start is DMV bike inspections.

Any CA cops on this board willing to chime in - I think I'll post a link to this thread over at the BMWforums board, apparantly there's some cops over there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
carnadero said:
A couple of questions: Did you start it up and run it for the inspector? Is the exhaust considerably louder than stock?
No, I did not have to start the bike for the inspection, they just looked at all the numbers eng.#, VID #, emmissions qualifications etc.

I am not sure if the pipe is any loader than stock since it came on the bike when I bought it used. However my guess is that it is louder during aggresive acceleration - it sounds like a F1 racecar.

But I'm not worried about getting pulled over by El Dorado County for it - I have never heard any BMW (with or without aftermarket exhaust,) sound any louder than the quietest HD, and this area is loaded with deafening HDs .

I also suspect that they are targeting squids and obvious violations that can cause confusion such as flashing lights.

JMHO

Ed

·
Registered
242 Posts
K12R said:
I also suspect that they are targeting squids and obvious violations that can cause confusion such as flashing lights.
No offense intended Blkvelvt, didn't mean to imply that you or your riding group were squids, just the blinky light thing. :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
wellcraft said:
it's commiefornia and nothing those dumb shits do surprise me, very beautiful state to visit but i wouldn't want to live there.
Could you clarify that please? Is everyone in California a dumb shit commie?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No offense taken. It was my brothers lights with sequential illuminating LED bulbs. (Not flashing). Clear lenses are OK if they are DOT or SAE approved and illuminate RED or AMBER to the rear and WHITE or AMBER to the front per CVC. Flashing no good...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25250.htm Flashing Lights

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25251_5.htm Flashing Brakelights

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25251_2.htm Flashing Headlights

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25251.htm Acceptable uses for flashing lights

These are some of the vehicle codes if you want to see some of the information available.
Under the CVC, lights must stay illuminated for a minimum of 15 minutes with the engine off. I am assuming they must burn solid and no interruption.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts