BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike back from getting a new clutch fitted.

I was told the cam chain is going to need replacing. He says I have about 5000 miles before it is something I need to worry about and that as it wears the rattle I occasionally get on start up (which lasts for about 1 second) will get more frequent and last longer.

Apparently there are plastic guides which are getting worn.

Does anyone know what these guides are? Can you buy them stand alone or part of a kit with the chain?

He said they were guides but I don't know if that is the official BMW name.

Bike is a 2010 1300GT EE.

THanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can replace the chain guides, but you have to remove all of the body work, the radiator and valve cover. You can replace the chain tensioner fairly easy because it's on the front of the motor. How many miles are on your bike?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the chain tensioner is a problem.

He specifically said it needs a new chain and (plastic) chain guides.

The bike has 35,000 miles.

Is it the Jump Guard? Apart from the tensioner and jump guard I can not find a chain guide anywhere for sale.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Your 2010 should have the jump guard installed. Very easy to check that too. There are two; chain tensioner, part #11 31 7 699 888 ($34.87) and slide rail, part #11 31 7 675 400 ($23.03). Timing chain is part #11 31 7 701 207 ($109.83). Jump guard is part #11 31 8 526 932 - ($8.66)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Parts 7 and 9 in the attached pic are the guides.....plastic. I guess they wear out. Good luck.

The cam chain is metal, it wears. Like on a bicycle. When it wears beyond tolerance you may also need the sprocket, but unlikely at low mileage. Guides probably needed when chain replaced for good hygiene.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't think the chain tensioner is a problem.

He specifically said it needs a new chain and (plastic) chain guides.

The bike has 35,000 miles.

Is it the Jump Guard? Apart from the tensioner and jump guard I can not find a chain guide anywhere for sale.

The tensioner was invented to take up the slack as the chain wears and the engine heats. If rattling is bad its the tensioner that may need replacement (factory hydraulic) or adjustment (aftermarket manual)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts