BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 K1300 GT has had the so-called "box of rocks" noise at start up for a while including a start up at the Chief Joseph Rally that literally turned heads in the parking area. The noise does not happen every time my bike has been idle for a period of time, but when it does it usually lasts a few seconds until the pressure builds up and then is not noticeable. A few days ago I noticed the same start up noise, but after that subsided there was a residual noise sounding like a sticky lifter on an automobile or like a chain slapping against another surface. The noise accelerated with more throttle, but remained. BTW I installed the cam chain jump guard some months ago. I haven't started my bike up yet, but have made an appointment at a local BMW dealer to look it over. I'm thinking a failed tensioner or a stretched chain? I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have. Thanks in advance.

Denny

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you have a 1300 making any significant cam chain noise then something is wrong and I wouldn't ride the bike until it is resolved. The jump guard is a last ditch measure to cover transient events and is not intended to (and won't) protect against a consistent tensioner malfunction.

·
Registered
430 Posts
shut her down and get her looked at...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I have not moved the bike since discovering the noise. I have reserved a trailer to take it to a dealer next Wednesday. I'm lucky to get it in since most dealers are covered up weeks in advance this time of year. Thanks.

Denny

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
You could always get and APE tensioner and install it yourself. Takes very little time. If it fixes it you won't have to wait for the dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Robert. I considered that, but my extended warranty company won't commit that the after market APE manual tensioner wouldn't void my warranty.

Denny

Robert_W said:
You could always get and APE tensioner and install it yourself. Takes very little time. If it fixes it you won't have to wait for the dealer.

·
Registered
752 Posts
AttackPug said:
MIne only does it in cold weather ????? go figure
That's not too surprising. A likely cause for tensioner issues is the piston sticking in the bore (possibly due to contaminants but more likely due to poor manufacturing tolerances) and if the fit is too tight you could well see more problems when it is colder.

·
Registered
103 Posts
APE tensioner

avonfloater said:
Thanks, Robert. I considered that, but my extended warranty company won't commit that the after market APE manual tensioner wouldn't void my warranty.

Denny
That is a conundrum. The APE tensioner is a great part, but because it is aftermarket the warranty company won't cover it.

I normally don't say stuff like this, but I think you should install the tensioner and keep the original close by in case the bike ever has to go in for repair..The APE unit clearly solves the issue of a loose cam chain at start up. I installed one an that was the last of the box of rocks noises. It is a quick, easy swap and I firmly believe that it would not cause damage.

Jeff

·
Registered
430 Posts
smiller said:
That's not too surprising. A likely cause for tensioner issues is the piston sticking in the bore (possibly due to contaminants but more likely due to poor manufacturing tolerances) and if the fit is too tight you could well see more problems when it is colder.
not to get off topic but this is very true of g.m ls motors ,i know because i had a trailblazer ss with the ls2 the truck was tuned and i drove the crap out of it with no motor issue's at all ,even had the gto before that with the ls1 and had the same issue but was very slight ,some g.m dealers refferd the this as piston slap and is quite normal in big horse power motors at least from g.m anyway dont believe it's a poor tolerance and has never been a dependability issue ,but then again thats an entirely differant motor just thought i'de bring up the simularities...

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's weird, Mike. I bought an '06 GTO and put 50k miles on it before I sold it and never once heard any unusual noises from under the hood. I drove that car to within inches of it's life on a daily basis... Strange.

Avonfloater, I would let the dealer know you need an updated tensioner and jump-guard. If you have a good relationship with them, you might be able to persuade them into "diagnosing" the problem w/o ever starting it... You never know, the next time that starter button gets bumped may be the last! :eek:

Cheers,
Vance

·
Registered
430 Posts
BigBite said:
That's weird, Mike. I bought an '06 GTO and put 50k miles on it before I sold it and never once heard any unusual noises from under the hood. I drove that car to within inches of it's life on a daily basis... Strange.

Avonfloater, I would let the dealer know you need an updated tensioner and jump-guard. If you have a good relationship with them, you might be able to persuade them into "diagnosing" the problem w/o ever starting it... You never know, the next time that starter button gets bumped may be the last! :eek:

Cheers,
Vance
was'nt on every motor ,lotta vette's had it aswell ,owners thought they had a rod knock'n good friend of mine is a service manager here at a chevy dealer and also race's ,my trailblazer was faster than my goat ,but the piston slap when cold did bother me but the guy that tuned it aswell as the dealer both said normal for ls' motors and again it really was never an issue..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts